What would you serve in your AMERICAN Restaurant

Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Baked Alaska is any ice cream with toasted meringue topping. Very tasty.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:00 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
a 10/10?

I would think so but I was living by myself when I cooked it so it was an unwitnessed cuisine event.
0 Replies

JPB

@OmSigDAVID,
mmmmm

lobster is good

edit: but only if you're sitting within 100 miles from whence it came. I've given up ordering it here in the heartland.
0 Replies

msolga

@tsarstepan,
Mmmmmm ...

Interesting, pumpkin as a sweet dish. What other ingredients are included?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Maine lobster! Good call David!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:02 pm
The menu would not be limited to these, but MUST include:

Pot roast, meatloaf, fried chicken, hamburgers & hot dogs with french fries, chili, barbecue, PBJ sandwiches, club sandwiches
Soft yeast rolls (served with butter and honey)
Pies: lemon meringue, coconut cream, apple or cherry
Snacks: potato chips, fritos, chocolate ice cream, Coke, Dr Pepper
Breakfasts: fried or scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patty, biscuits with butter and jam, gravy, pancakes/waffles with maple syrup

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Blueberry or pumpkin pies

Good All-American picks, Tsar. Blueberries and pumpkins were unknown in Europe before Columbus.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Mmmmmm ...

Interesting, pumpkin as a sweet dish. What other ingredients are included?

Flaky Pastry Shell
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour , measured by dip-and-sweep
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks), chilled and cut into 1/4-inch pats
3 - 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
Pumpkin Filling
2 cups plain pumpkin puree (16 ounces), canned or fresh
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup milk
4 large eggs
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=6281
Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@Green Witch,
might ought to include chicken and noodles.

and root beer floats.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Interesting, tsar. All those spices & cream.
Haven't ever eaten pumpkin in such a way. Sounds good!
Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Egg creams.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

might ought to include chicken and noodles.

and root beer floats.

definitely root beer floats
0 Replies

Rockhead

@msolga,
you can make almost the same pie using sweet taters, miss O.

banana splits.
0 Replies

JPB

@tsarstepan,
mmmmmm

pumpkin pie!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
I'm about to have to leave this thread and raid the kitchen.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:15 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I think Americans bred what we now know as the Black Angus beef cow -thus all those hamburgers.

I know this will come as a shock to most of you, but most American hamburgers are made from beef imported from either Australia or New Zealand. American bred beef is genrally too fatty (and more expensive) for a decent burger. That's because the majority of cattle bred for beef in the US are corn-fed. Cattle in Oz and Nuzeelund are generally free-range grass-fed beasts, lean and mean. Their flesh is perfect for grinding into burgers.

About 30 years ago (maybe more) when I was working as editor of a trade publication for the hotel and restaurant industry, I well remember the cry of dismay that went up from folks like McDonald's and Burger King and others when a new tariff on imported beef was proposed in Congress. You'd think that Ray Croc (McD's CEO atthe time) was going to be forced out of business if he had to pay one penny more for Oz-NZ beef.

(Other side of coin: The Outback Steak House chain uses almost exclusively domestic beef to the best of my knowledge, in spite of its name. Smile)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:18 pm
@JPB,
Right, I had trouble lasting to the dead of night with not only liver but also a glass of milk (could I just die now? do I have to keep sitting here? Yes. yes. I suppose this is the seat of all my anger..). I also suppose there were boiled carrots with that, and I hated those too. I still don't really like boiled carrots, except in soup.
Roasted or raw, please.

But I've liked liver cooked less leathery later..
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've read about Philly cheese steak and it isn't all served with cheeze whiz. No link, sorry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
@JPB,
Post some when you have time some sunny day..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Mexican restaurants serve mexican food, chinese restauants serve chinese food, Thai restaurants serve thai food

I'd be unlikely to go into a Mexican resto that said it served Mexican food - ditto to all of those others. I want regional food. Mexican food from different parts of the country are as different as different regional Chinese, Thai, American cuisines.

<still shuddering>

There are a few things on menus in the U.S. (that seem to originate in the U.S.) that I've never seen in Canada (or, if it does show up here, it's someone trying to be "American" in some way) - scrapple, oyster stew for breakfast, oyster fritters, peanut-fed pork, crawfish gumbo, pecan pie, biscuits and gravy, that whole sausage gravy/biscuit gravy world, red velvet cake, and very soft yeast dinner rolls. Fried chicken the way it's done in the U.S. south is a different critter than fried chicken just about anywhere else. Pulled pork, mustard-based bbq.

There are other things that I've eaten in the U.S that aren't common in Canada - but most of them are recognizable as coming from other cultures.
0 Replies