What would you serve in your AMERICAN Restaurant

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:56 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I see. So home fries are basically Bratkartoffeln, expressed in a word that's simple enough for Americans to pronounce.

We can pronounce that word, but why bother Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:58 am
Great response, Cyclo, that cracked me up . . . i think Germans operate on the principle of "why write a phrase, when you can write a sentence two paragraphs long?"
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Great response, Cyclo, that cracked me up . . . i think Germans operate on the principle of "why write a phrase, when you can write a sentence two paragraphs long?"

Yeah, they even have a word that means 'long word':

Frankenshuffelschwaffenverobetenoggineffenwaffe

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:00 pm
@Setanta,
Actually, Setanta, we prefer to write words two paragraphs long. For details, see Mark Twain, The awful German Language.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Actually, Setanta, we prefer to write words two paragraphs long. For details, see Mark Twain, The awful German Language.

That's a new one on me, Boss--thanks, i'll check that out . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:38 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I see. So home fries are basically Bratkartoffeln, expressed in a word that's simple enough for Americans to pronounce.

Is that a bit like potato roesti? I have no idea what language that is - but it sorta looks like your description.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:45 pm
@margo,
rosti/roesti are more of a shredded potato dish, while home fries (as I know them) are more like the bratkartoffeln that Thomas knows. There are some weirdnesses with that definition as well, as some people think that home fries should be wedges or chunks of potato, while bratkartoffeln (in my world) are sliced potatoes.

nowwwwwwwwwwwww, the next question - should the potatoes be raw or cooked when they're made into home fries/rosti/bratkartoffeln?

rosti - raw fer sure
bratkartoffeln - your choice
home fries - I'd start with parboiled potatoes

(and then we get to the topic one of my favourite ever Abuzz threads - smooth or lumpy mashed potatoes?)

and those rosti - shredded isn't grated, because then you'd be making latkes/potato pancakes

Laughing
patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
The last couple years I've started making my home fries from raw potatoes in a tightly covered skillet. They get steamed and fried at the same time, and it really brings out the seasoning.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
as some people think that home fries should be wedges or chunks of potato,
well yeah.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:10 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

rosti/roesti are more of a shredded potato dish, while home fries (as I know them) are more like the bratkartoffeln that Thomas knows. There are some weirdnesses with that definition as well, as some people think that home fries should be wedges or chunks of potato, while bratkartoffeln (in my world) are sliced potatoes.

nowwwwwwwwwwwww, the next question - should the potatoes be raw or cooked when they're made into home fries/rosti/bratkartoffeln?

rosti - raw fer sure
bratkartoffeln - your choice
home fries - I'd start with parboiled potatoes

(and then we get to the topic one of my favourite ever Abuzz threads - smooth or lumpy mashed potatoes?)

and those rosti - shredded isn't grated, because then you'd be making latkes/potato pancakes

Laughing

Jeez - just bring me some spuds and I'll start - and see where we end up!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:15 am
As far as i can see, there is no difference between rosti and what Americans call hash browns.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:10 am
Setanta wrote:
As far as i can see, there is no difference between rosti and what Americans call hash browns.

I can confirm that.

ehBeth wrote:

That must have been a very short thread: Smooth of course! And with obscene amounts of butter. If this diabetic should ever entertain a death wish, he shall overdose on smooth, overbuttered, mashed potatoes. T'is the perfect way to go.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:35 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I can confirm that.

ehBeth wrote:

That must have been a very short thread: Smooth of course! And with obscene amounts of butter. If this diabetic should ever entertain a death wish, he shall overdose on smooth, overbuttered, mashed potatoes. T'is the perfect way to go.

omigawd!

rosti and hash browns the same! never never never

and smooth mashed potatoes - ick ick phooey ptooey
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:00 am
@ehBeth,
Ooops, there goes our friendship. Bummer!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:02 am
Pass the butter, will ya?
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:01 am
@Setanta,
What, share my food again? I just did that in October!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:04 am
Are we movin' too fast for ya, Bubba?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:06 am
@ehBeth,
How do you do lumpy ones?
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:24 am
@dlowan,
I think you just stop mashing the potatoes before they're smooth. Alternatively, you could be mean to your boyfriend. That way, the next time he makes mashed potatoes for you, he'll make them lumpy in an act of passive-aggressiveness.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:41 am
Dirty mashed potatoes are superior to skinless mashed potatoes. Dirty mashed potatoes are not smooth. Ergo, smooth mashed potatoes are inferior.
0 Replies