msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh that one gets my vote, tsar! Yum!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Indian pudding dates to the Colonial days of America, when newly arrived Colonists at Plymouth, Massachusetts, and elsewhere sought to re-create the dishes of their homeland with the ingredients they hand available to them in the new land. Indian pudding is derived from the British hasty pudding, a dish made from wheat flour or oatmeal boiled with milk. Colonists did not yet have quantities of wheat flour, so they made their hasty pudding with cornmeal, which they had in abundance, thanks to the Native Americans, or Indians"hence the name. The Native Americans themselves enjoyed a version of this dish called supawn, a boiled cornmeal mush.

To flavor their Indian pudding, the Colonists added spices such as ginger and cinnamon, and they fortified it with eggs and butter, when available. A distinctly Yankee touch was the addition of molasses, which was a product of the local maritime trade. The Shakers made a variation of Indian pudding that replaced the molasses with maple syrup as a sweetener. For further embellishment, Colonial cooks might have added raisins into the boiled cornmeal mixture before baking, or topped the finished Indian pudding with a healthy slug of thick cream.
0 Replies

JPB

@ossobuco,
hate it -- my parents loved it. Unfortunately, that meant we had it often.
Green Witch

@ossobuco,
Yes, corn is American, but it is mostly used in Europe to feed pigs.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:51 pm
@Green Witch,
Ahhhh.
So.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:52 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Philly Cheesesteak:

http://www.endlesssimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cheesesteak.jpg

GW? You couldn't find an appealing photograph of a cheesesteak sandwich?! Then again when they use that kind of fluorescent-glowing cheese whiz, no photograph can make it look appealing I suppose.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I admit I like corn somewhat less lately, it all seems too damned sweet above the corn flavor. Hybrided to sugar tharn..
Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:53 pm
How about some baked Alaska?...

http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/su/08/07/baked-alaska-su-1816275-l.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:54 pm
@msolga,
msolga, my proudest cooking moment is when I brewed up an improvised shrimp and sausage gumbo myself. http://i50.tinypic.com/35d8ars.jpg
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:55 pm
What about desserts?

I mean, I know there's apple pie, obviously ..... but what other dishes would be considered typical American desserts?
JPB

The last time Mr B and I visited DC we made a trip to the new National Museum of the American Indian. We chose that one because we'd never seen it and because it was touted as the national museum with the best food. The food lived up to it's billing. So much so that I bought the cookbook. It's a coffee table type book (huge) with beautiful pictures and recipes. Maybe some day I'll cook something from it.
ossobuco

@msolga,
Peach cobbler, Olga.
msolga

@tsarstepan,
And ....?

a 10/10?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@Green Witch,
Never had a baked Alaska. What flavor is the reddish/pinkish filling? Raspberry? Something else?
Butrflynet

Chef's Salad
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Fried Trout
Green Bean Casserole
Roasted Turkey
Cranberry Sauce
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Barbecue Ribs
0 Replies

msolga

@ossobuco,
Sounds good, osso.

I imagine there are regional specialties?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:57 pm
@Green Witch,
I've never even been near a Baked Alaska, but .. I remember the name.
Me, I like a good zuccotto, but that's italian.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fish, lobster, crab, all varieties of beef, lamb, pork, duck, turkey, chicken, shrimp.
potatos, corn, cranberries, fruit pies, premium (extra fat) ice cream in many flavors, including Baked Alaska.

If I did it for REAL, I 'd not confine myself to American receipes.
French n Italian fare woud be well represented on the menu.
Green Witch

@msolga,
Check out the baked Alaska above your post, msolga.

Let's see the rest of the world come up with their own version of TurDukEn!

http://www.valbellagourmetfoods.ca/_images/turduken.jpg

It's a turkey, stuffed with duck that's stuffed with a chicken that usually has sausage dressing crammed into the center.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:58 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What about desserts?

I mean, I know there's apple pie, obviously ..... but what other dishes would be considered typical American desserts?

Blueberry or pumpkin pies