Movies to See and Why to See Them

Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
I know most of us on here watch tv. If you watch tv, you are bound to watch a movie now and then. I also know that many of you all don't watch to much tv and are more readers, so I will understand if you don't post Smile.

What movie is worth a watch in your book, and why? It can be fresh out in the theater or it could have been released 40 years ago. Feel free to talk about the movies, can't really go off topic as long as the topic stays to movies.

I will start off with a favorite of mine. It's silly and pulls at the strings that hold my childhood in place. Jurassic Park. I read the book, it was great. I have, from the moment I got my first dinosaur figure, been a lover of the reptiles. It might not be much like the book, but just breath taking scene when you first see the fields of herd after herd of dinosaur is enough to take any dinosaur lover's breath away.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 5,446 • Replies: 70

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:55 pm
Lonely are the Brave is a 1962 film adaptation of the Edward Abbey novel The Brave Cowboy. It stars Kirk Douglas as cowboy Jack Burns, Gena Rowlands, and Walter Matthau as a sheriff who sympathizes with Burns but must do his job and chase him down.

Douglas has said that this is his favorite movie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:05 pm
@Seed,
Ikiru - by Kurasawa
Don't look at wiki about it unless you want to read a complete spoiler.
The one review I looked at on imdb is useful without telling the whole story -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

Then, of course, there are other and different Kurasawa movies, such as Seven Samurai..

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:12 pm
@Seed,
Great choice seed!

Spielberg's only flaw in translating the film from the roller coaster novel was the slight over-simplification of the genetic science in the book. Great thrilling popcorn flick!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366777/
I'll start with from a film number 97 in my top 100 favorite films of all time: Danny Boyle's charming and thankfully not so patronizing, never saccharine family film Millions (2004). Context: The time of the film, it was assumed that England was going to switch over to the Euro. So the premise of the film was that two young boys find a large sum of money (pounds). They have several days to spend the money before the conversion to Euros.

What makes the character study so great is the chemistry between the two brothers and the compassion and wisdom of the younger 5 year old brother. Touching and funny.

Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sadly there was a bit more wrong with the paper to film adaption. The people in the end who die... they were different.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
@Seed,
That's Spielberg for you. Remember his complete overhaul of the second film The Lost World: Jurassic Park (especially the ending)? Great book. Horrible film. With Jurassic Park, the details lost in translation/adaptation didn't bother me to even notice it in the first place.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:05 pm
@Seed,
For some inexplicable reason, I have a desire to see The Deer Hunter again. Just curious to know how it shapes up politically in 2010. Haven't seen it for years.
Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:10 pm
@msolga,
I can't say that I have read or seen The Deer Hunter. I do my best to stay away from political type films and movies and I never seem to get the just of them
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Millions is a great film
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:11 pm
@Seed,
I'd advise you (in particular) to steer clear of this one, Seed. Trust me on this! Wink
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
@msolga,
love The Deer Hunter,much better than Apocalypse Now IMHO
Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:13 pm
@msolga,
I don't know... you have a trusting, cat like even, face. I'll take your word on it then.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:15 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah. But you, know ... the patriotism, the Russian roulette ... ?
I loved the wedding segment, aspects of life in the town they lived in ...
As I said, I'm curious about what I'll make of it in 2010. Vietnam & all ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@Seed,
Laughing

That's very wise of you, Seed!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@Seed,
it's about the vietnam war if you're not familiar, the film itself is not about politics, i'm guessing msolga is wondering how the attitude and situation of that war corresponds to afghanistan today
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:18 pm
@djjd62,
I just heard the Doors singing This is the end .... playing in my head, djjd. I blame you!
Now I'm hearing helicopters!
Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:18 pm
@djjd62,
Wait... there was a war in Vietnam? I am not familiar!
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:20 pm
@Seed,
You were too young, dearie.

Us old folk will tell you about it sometime. Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:22 pm
@Seed,
You must see the original 1968 version of THE LION IN WINTER . It is one of the best casted movies that worked together next to PULP FICTION.my favorite movie of ALL TIME.
For just silly fun with dinosaurs Ive always tried to catch a chance to watch THE VALLEY OF GWANGI.

As a amateur student of Amerind history I always catch a chance to watch THE DOG MEN, DANCES WITH WOLVES , THE BALLAD OF JEREMIAH JOHNSON, THE TRAPand any movie about the DENAI (books by Tony Hillerman)
Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 04:22 pm
@msolga,
One of my favorite Robin Williams films was Good Morning Vietnam. It tells, in my mind, a good story of how someone can see the good in someone, and yet there be a side that you may never know, and when you find out that side, how it can be a bomb shell. Though I know there are more aspects to the film. But like I said, I try to stay away from political conversations as my view on thing is not always one of a well informed view.
0 Replies