Movies to See and Why to See Them

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
In Waltz with Bashir, animation marries into the documentary genre in this great antiwar film. What a surrealistic trip.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/

Not failing to mention, it has a great score and soundtrack.
Quote:
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Director: Ari Folman

Critics' rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Movie review
From Time Out New York

It starts with a whole pack of rabid mutts, all bright yellow eyes and bared teeth, barking under a window. Boaz Rein-Buskila has been having this same dream for years, revolving around an incident that happened in Beirut during the 1982 Lebanon War. “Don’t these things haunt you?” the former Israeli soldier asks his friend, filmmaker Ari Folman. “You were there too.” The director replies: “That’s not stored in my system.”

This sequence opens Waltz with Bashir, Folman’s attempt to unearth what’s buried in his skull, and the fact that Folman recounts his journey by using animation makes everything more surreal. As he gathers testimonies from the various middle-aged men who served with him in the Israeli military at that time, the horrors become vivid: innocents getting incinerated when bombs miss their targets, snipers taking out platoons one man at a time, whole villages being razed to the ground. All of these atrocities are rendered in the style of an old, slightly out-of-sync Johnny Quest episode.

What seems like a cheap gimmick is actually a stroke of genius: Memory is always an unreliable witness, which is why this plunge down the PTSD rabbit hole needed to be animated. It’s the only medium that can do Folman’s excavations justice, exposing both his repressed recollections and the collective denial of a nation. The coup of the film is that by the time clarity hits"tellingly, via actual, real-life images"the shame has become everyone’s: Israel’s, Folman’s, yours, mine. Even before that revelation, however, Waltz with Bashir has already left an imprint. It is, in a word, unforgettable.

Author: David Fear
Time Out New York Issue 690/691: December 18 - 31, 2008

http://www.timeout.com/film/newyork/reviews/85858/waltz-with-bashir.html?print=true

It is the first and only film I have ever seen at a film festival. Great to see the Q and A between the audience and the director after the film screening.
0 Replies

sparks2326

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:05 am
Hey all...couple of links for you. Comments are on; weigh in with your opinion on these two lists:

The 100 best movies of the decade (2000-09):
http://wiredoregon.com/best-movies-of-the-decade/

The 10 best movies of 2009:
http://wiredoregon.com/best-movies-of-2009/
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:13 am
The Pianist, one of my favorite movies! Came out in 2002, Adrien Brody is the main character. Based on a true story, setting 1939. Anyone who hasn't seen this it is truly worth watching.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 08:34 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
It is one of the best casted movies that worked together next to PULP FICTION.my favorite movie of ALL TIME.

Hard to pick any one of Tarantino's films as a favorite and for sure I thought Samuel L. Jackson should have had best actor for Pulp Fiction, but my own favorite would be True Romance. Aside from the scenes with the little guy talking to Elvis and the unbelievable scene in which Hopper explains the origin of Sicilians, the next to final scene in TR contains a statement. Tarantino is saying to this world:

Quote:

This is my opinion of the typical Hollywood actor, and the typical Hollywood director; here these two fuckers are, and this is what they look like to me!

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 09:45 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!

My dad took me to see it when I was 10. We laughed so hard he farted and it endeared me to him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 09:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You didn't like Francis Ford Coppola's modern day take on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness?

I liked it but if you've ever seen the hours of film that were cut, you'd realize something was really off about FFC's artistic judgment.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 10:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

...As a amateur student of Amerind history I always catch a chance to watch THE DOG MEN, DANCES WITH WOLVES , THE BALLAD OF JEREMIAH JOHNSON, THE TRAPand any movie about the DENAI (books by Tony Hillerman)

I'll second Jeremiah Johnson.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 10:27 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!

Because it's just bloody funny as hell!

http://images1.makefive.com/images/200902/334fd4268907d0f2.jpg

Yes, it is. Rat Race was a pale immitation, although not bad.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 10:28 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Yup, or any number of the old "Carry On" movies.

Right again. Try Carry on Cruising.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'll third it!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 10:59 pm
North by Northwest

Hitchcock's fabulous suspense, adventure, mystery.
0 Replies