Cell phones and "keeping in touch"

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
Since January 1st of this year, a new law concerning the use of cell phones and other electronic devices has been introduced in British Columbia. With the exception of "new drivers" though, hands-free devices, like Bluetooths, are legal.

I welcome this change, but would have preferred a total ban while actively driving. My wife had a very close encounter, while walking in a crosswalk last year, by a driver being on a phone.

Anyways, the main point that I want to get across in this thread is to ask why some cell phone users feel that it is absolutely necessary to answer every call they get immediately? Why not let their voice mail pick it up and return the call at a later time when they are in a more safer and convenient situation? Is this some kind of Palovian response?

What would it really matter if you returned a call a few minutes later, or pull over to the side of the road, in a safe place? What is this mad idiocy about multi-tasking (I hate that word!)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,415 • Replies: 15
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:32 pm
@Reyn,
And what's with the idea that potential conversations with callers demand immediate attention, while an actual conversation is put on hold?
Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:46 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah, good point as well.

I know some will argue that talking on cell phones while driving (hand-free or not) is no different than talking to passengers in your car. I'm not convinced of that.

A caller on the other end of a line does not know when you have a very busy intersection (where most accidents occur) to pass through, while a passenger could potentially hold off an ongoing discussion until you have safely gone through it.

Either way, back to the main point. Why are some cell phone drivers so reluctant to use voice mail?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:53 pm
@Reyn,
I don't understand why someone cannot drive their car and talk on the phone safely. Makes no sense to me. Shall we develop a test to see which drivers are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time? Shall we forbid the driver from engaging in conversation with passengers for fear of distraction?

I'm much more concerned with Beulah next to me putting on her eyeliner or whatnot.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:01 pm
I wish everyone on this thread would just calm down. Bunch of old hens.
Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I don't understand why someone cannot drive their car and talk on the phone safely. Makes no sense to me.

No, I suppose not, but it is a fact that cell phone use (and other devices) by drivers, is a significant contributer to accidents.

It is, of course, somewhat easier to regulate the use of such things, rather the overall behaviour of drivers in general. For example, a parent having an argument with a child in the back seat of the car doesn't help one's driving abilities.

This still brings me back to why I started this thread, and that is to ask why isn't voice mail used more while driving? Any speculations? Seems like a good idea.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Hi Gus! I'm calm, but curious as to the question I'm asking.

Got any ideas?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:06 pm
I say let people talk on their cell phones whenever they want to. A few car accidents are certainly no big deal when it comes to conversation.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I say let people talk on their cell phones whenever they want to. A few car accidents are certainly no big deal when it comes to conversation.

I'm glad you see it my way, gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
We always have been of the same mind, Tico.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Yes .. always.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
Well, I know you guys are joking, but I was grateful my wife wasn't mowed down last year. I've kinda gotten attached to her.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@Reyn,
I am glad neither of our wives were mowed down last year, Reyn.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
What would it really matter if you returned a call a few minutes later, or pull over to the side of the road, in a safe place? What is this mad idiocy about multi-tasking (I hate that word!)?

Because we're a bunch of automatons and we have to do what everyone else does, which is have a bazillion friends who we gab with all the time.

The thing about cell phones is, it's given the average insecure dweeb a sense of self importance.
Gala

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@Reyn,
That's very sweet. I'm glad she didn't get mowed down either.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:
The thing about cell phones is, it's given the average insecure dweeb a sense of self importance.

Hmm, I guess that's a good of answer as any, the fact that someone wants to talk to THEM.

I hope, at least though, that those drivers who have had near accidents while driving and talking on a phone, learn some kind of lesson from their experience.

Tragedy doesn't have to happen.
0 Replies