Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:47 pm
Somehow I missed this information when it came out in 2009 (or perhaps a little earlier, as the original book by was in German) - conjecture that Gauguin was the one to slice Van Gogh's ear based on ten years of research into the matter by two German academics, Hans Kaufmann and Rita Wildegans, who then wrote "Van Gogh's Ear: Paul Gauguin and the Pact of Silence.

An article on the book back in May 2009 - and the gist of the findings:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/may/04/vincent-van-gogh-ear

There is a current article by Adam Gopnik in the Jan. 4, 2010 New Yorker,
Van Gogh's Ear, the Christmas Eve that changed Modern Art - that you can tell from the title goes into the impact of this on artists to come. The article also goes on at length about van Gogh and Gauguin as individual artists. The full text of Gopnik's is only available to subscribers (unless you pay a fee) but it is probably still on the news stands if you're are interested (and have just the right newstand or library nearby).

The abstract here doesn't go into the details..
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/01/04/100104fa_fact_gopnik

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,447 • Replies: 4
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:32 am
@ossobuco,
fun article...just finished it
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:57 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Somehow I missed this information when it came out in 2009 (or perhaps a little earlier, as the original book by was in German) ...

The book was published in September 2008.

Some opinions from the Netherlands, as reported by Radio Netherland.

(Since Kaufmann's book came on the market, 20 more books -in German- about Van Gogh have been published here ...)
mismi

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:38 am
That was a fun read Osso. I would not be surprised if Gauguin did it. Those artists are such a rowdy bunch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting, thanks for the radio netherland quote.

I'd like to quote the whole Gopnik article, but don't want to use the whole article or a major part of it, given the NYer subscription "rule". I'll see if there is a paragraph or two to clip. (Of course, now I have to remember/find my NYer password..)
0 Replies