It's raining! It's raining!

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:28 am
Hey, Smitty , sounds like a wonderful place to live! ... apart from July to August! How on earth do you cope at that time? As much as I love summer (especially when there isn't a drought!) yours sound FEARSOME! How do you cope? Does everyone head for the mountains?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:35 am
According to an interview on local radio: a group of women in northern Victoria (my state in Oz) got so desperate for rain they figured they'd try anything >>> which led to a naked/group rain dance.
And guess what? It rained! That was the downpour that led to me starting this thread.
They were so pleased that they're going to do it again!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:18 am
Could this also help to stop the rain? It seems like it's been raining all year in Europe. We had and still have heavy floods all over the place. A good friend of ours got married on August 10. It was a western style wedding since he's American. Can you believe I was wearing boots and was REALLY glad that I could? That's in southern Germany...

So maybe we should try this group dance here. However, it's quite cold today.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:28 am
No rain again here, in what "used" to be considered the rainiest spot. Lots of fog. It's a little disorienting.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:04 pm
MsOlga

Have you seen this thread:
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1438&highlight=

It does go on, but apparently Melbourne is the most livable city in the world for expats. Sheesh! Laughing

Still no rain here - getting desperate - bushfires pretty bad - start dancing :wink:
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:23 am
msolga: The word was out in advance to the actual rain dance. Read this on a motorcycle board, but we read that no camera were allowed!!!!
By the way the hot July & August is really not that bad for it cools off in the evenings (most often though one might have a few hot evening weeks) so in the morning it is not to bad. Also we do use air conditioners later on as the heat builds up.
Just imagine me (back in '63 to '74) about to spray my fruit trees, so I am with tractor & sprayer, dressed in my shorts & T-shirt, heavy gum boots, heavy rubber trousers & jacket, wet towel around my neck, hard hat on, heavy plastic gloves & large double filter rerespirator-this job usually took 4 to 6 hrs. THIS is how I dropped 15 to 20 pounds each summer for one started spraying in the Spring & right through till August especially with apples, but then it varied upon other fruit trees, what we sprayed & when.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:58 am
The Okanagan, Smitty, love that part of the country.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 01:00 am
The fires around Sydney have made even the Canadian papers. Must be bad! Praying for rain ...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:33 am
Did I read that these fires were purposely set, again? It is horrible.

The Okanogan is great. My horse is from there, she'd love to go back, I'm sure.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:34 pm
January 2nd & Melbourne is only just emerging from 2 days of astonishing rains! Thunder & the works! This is a pretty strange summer but hey, what a relief all that water was! My garden is positively SWOONING with relief! Are any of you experiencing odd, unseasonal weather happenings in your part of the planet, too?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:38 pm
Absolutely- This is supposedly the dry season in Florida. Yesterday it rained so hard, that some areas got 6 inches. Very, very strange!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:29 pm
Msolga, Hurray, Yippee, good for you!

Maybe I should stop dancing now?

We have unseasonably wet weather as Phoenix stated, and we don't mind a bit. I love to see and hear the rain because I know it's going to be over shortly.

Hugs to yah!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 01:39 am
phoenix & Misti

Strange days indeed! When will things return to normal, I wonder? Have we totally stuffed up the planet with all our unsympathetic human interventions?
Hmmmmm ...

I don't know that you should stop dancing ALTOGETHER, Misti ... (though you must be very tired by now! Laughing ) I think once a week (say, Wednesdays?) should do the trick. Gosh, it all dries out so quickly in the summer sun!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:21 am
margo, met an aussie lass from sydney, she's somewhere from the blue mountain region. she was telling me about the fires there and how she had to leave her house many times because of the fires. pretty dire straits for you guys. hope you get rain soon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:34 am
The latest news about the rain in Europe

Flood in Britain

Water level at my place
(the second red line indicates the highest alarm point, where houses are flooded)

shows that we really would like to send some anywhere!

And instead of at least one meter snow as usual, most places in the Alps look like this:

http://www.tannheimertal.at/webcam/webcam_tannheim.htm
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:58 pm
Rain! We still need rain!

There's been some fires around again - and although we've had some showers, we've not had what we really need - which is a couple of days of good soaking rain. (preferably midweek) Keep dancing! We've moved on to water restrictions - but so far, I haven't been forced to wash or do my teeth in champagne! Sad

Pueo - the Blue Mountains are a lovely place to live, but the threat of bushfires is ever present.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:02 pm
Oh boy, Walter, that looks very wet! I saw the warnings on TV. We also have a lot of rain and strong winds. I'm glad that we don't live too close to the river.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and - of course - also for you, Margo. I will try to figure out a dance to stop the rain here and send it to Australia.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 04:28 pm
Walter

A wet Christmas, yes? Another world entirely, to the one I live in.
Do send the excess to Oz, especially margo's way! (hello margo Very Happy )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:03 pm
"Heavy rainfall sent rivers cresting over their banks in parts of Europe on Friday, while a powerful storm that swept across several southern German states killed two people and injured dozens. The flooding and high winds caused disruption in Germany, Britain and Portugal, with river traffic curtailed on key German waterways and toppled trees blocking roads and rail lines. In Romania, floods caused by melting snow killed three people and destroyed hundreds of homes. In Portugal, heavy overnight rains caused landslides, closed roads and flooded several towns. Emergency workers were also searching for cars which witnesses said had plunged into the River Douro, the centre of Portugal's famed port wine industry.Torrential rains and strong winds have also shut down some 20 rail lines in the Czech Republic. "

from DW.de
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 06:19 pm
It's NOT raining, it's not raining!!!!!! What the hell happened to the rain??? I've forgotten what it's like ..

Today is predicted to be yet ANOTHER scorching hot day! ... 37 C Shocked With wild winds & the smell of smoke permeating the city, blowing in from the country bushfire areas. It smells like it's happening right here. Messages on the radio about deciding whether to stay or leave your (country) home if threatened by fire. Poor farmers, poor animals, poor wildlife ...
Yesterday was almost as hot .... And the cool change predicted for tonight had better come or we're all going to become a little strange coping with this for much longer ..
So, big Rain God in the Sky, go for it!!!
0 Replies