It's raining! It's raining!

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:05 pm
Ms Olga could you please begin getting the animals together. Two by two. The Ark is almost ready... and dont forget the unicorns!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:07 pm
the tag says drought and they're building an ark in here

Australians surely are perverse. First they want rain, then there is rain ...

<smooches>

Cool
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:08 pm
All the same, despite our best rains in years, our water storage catchments are still very low. Dams at 40% full doesn't sound all that wonderful to me. Certainly not a "surge" in water levels.

Like many Victorians, I'm very concerned at the easing of water restrictions (see below), as from a few days ago. This seems very premature to me. I'd much prefer the current restrictions remained indefinitely, or until the situation looks a lot healthier than this. I'm thinking the easing of restrictions has more to do with the looming state election than anything else.:

Quote:
City's dams surge to 40 per cent
August 24, 2010

A day after the Victorian government announced a welcome easing of water restrictions, Melbourne Water has announced the city's dams have surged to 40 per cent, a mark not seen since November 2007.

....The steady improvement is attributed to a combination of good recent rains, with the state on track to record its wettest year in over a decade, the water-saving efforts of the Melbournians and measures taken by the Victorian government.

Melbourne Water said the good news is expected to continue.

“Given the high volumes of runoff in recent weeks, it's likely that storages will continue to rise over coming weeks,” said water supply manager John Woodland.

"The catchments are quite wet and we're now in the wettest period of the year, so we'd expect to see storages bank more water to build a buffer ahead of the drier, summer months.”

Figures released today by Melbourne Water show storages are holding over 220 billion litres more water than at the same time last year, when they were 27.9% (504.4 billion litres) full.

The news follows yesterday's announcement by Water Minister Tim Holding of a further easing of water restrictions from next Wednesday. From September 1, Melbourne moves to stage two restrictions from stage 3a.

The moves allows people to water their gardens - but not their lawns - with a hose and wash cars with a high-pressure hose, a bucket, watering can or a hose fitted a trigger nozzle. Backyard spas and inflatable children's play pools can be filled and automatic watering systems can be used between midnight and 4am on designated days.

Premier John Brumby said good winter rains and government water supply projects had made the easing possible.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/water-issues/citys-dams-surge-to-40-per-cent-20100824-13ov5.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Australians surely are perverse. First they want rain, then there is rain ...

Oh we want it, Beth! We want it!
I certainly want it like mad! Wink

The above is an alert about anticipated conditions in parts of the state, rather than a concern about so much rain at once. It looks to be a wild ol' time coming up!

Quote:
<smooches>

Cool

Many smooches right back to you! Very Happy

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:15 pm
Quote:
I'm thinking the easing of restrictions has more to do with the looming state election than anything else.:

...and if people use more water it will justify the north east pipeline (currently pumping water from Eildon at full capacity) and the need for the desal plant
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:26 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
...and if people use more water it will justify the north east pipeline (currently pumping water from Eildon at full capacity) and the need for the desal plant

Exactly, dadpad!
I'm rather pissed of about this, actually. Well, more than a bit! I'm very pissed off! Grrrr..
Apart from anything else, I think we've learned some really important lessons about water usage via the restrictions & have developed good, sensible habits in the process, which should be encouraged & sustained .. To be allowed to wash our cars again & water our gardens any old time, with the catchments at only 40% seems insane, to me.
But as you'd know, the restrictions in Melbourne have been much "kinder" (politics at play again) than they have in many country areas of Victoria.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:01 pm
Is this sunshine I see?
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:10 pm
@dadpad,
Could be, dadpad! Smile
I saw a bit of sun about 1/2 an hour ago ... gone now, though. Dammit.

I was beginning to think the weather bureau got things very wrong yesterday. Until I saw this in the AGE this morning.
Lots of rain here in Melbourne yesterday (hooray!) but nothing remotely like this! :

Quote:
Floods, landslides, chaos across state
September 5, 2010
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/09/04/1906635/GALL-BALL-FLOOD-SS2_600-600x400.jpg
An elderly driver is rescued by SES crews in an inflatable boat after being stranded in his car. Photo: Jeremy Bannister of the Ballarat Courier

VICTORIA, soaked to the brim by its heaviest winter rains in years, was overflowing yesterday.

The floods, the worst in 15 years, caused landslides, flash-flooding and evacuations as residents sought refuge in local high schools and shelters. Hundreds of skiers were stranded at Mount Buller after landslides swept through carparks.

By last night at least 200 residents had been evacuated from the worst-hit areas, including Creswick and Clunes, in the central highlands, after rivers broke their banks, including the Yarrowee at Ballarat, and Creswick creek. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/floods-landslides-chaos-across-state-20100904-14vd5.html
dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
The ridge capping blew off my shed roof. I'll be up fixing that soon.
A landslide at Mt Buller (remember thredbo and Stuart Diver?) has damaged some cars and some skiers cant get to their cars to go home.
apart from that there doesnt seem to be too much of a problem here close to home.
Some low lying areas of Euroa are inundated but residents are used to that.

Ah...
I love a flooded country...
Etc
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:30 pm
@msolga,
it looks as if the driver wants to hit the rescuer with his cane - i'd keep my distance !
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:46 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
Ah...
I love a flooded country...
Etc

Yeah, I know ...
It's either a famine or a feast (of water).
Something in between would be very nice indeed! Smile

I hope all this water is heading for the catchments! It'd better be!

Good to hear the damage wasn't too bad up your way, dp.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 06:48 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
it looks as if the driver wants to hit the rescuer with his cane - i'd keep my distance !

It does, too! (Just took another look.)
Perhaps he didn't want to be rescued? Wink

Good to see you, hamburger. Long time since last sighting you! Smile
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:59 pm
@msolga,
i always keep cane handy in the car ... just in case Laughing

summer seems to have finished early here - a few days ago it was close to 30 c -
tonight 10 c - yikes - i understand there is already some snow in northern canada
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:05 pm
@hamburgboy,
Laughing

Quote:

summer seems to have finished early here - a few days ago it was close to 30 c -
tonight 10 c - yikes - i understand there is already some snow in northern canada

Wow, that's what I call sudden, hamburger!
It's actually warmer here, today .... & we've been complaining about the cold! Razz
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:08 pm
I know no-one cares, but it bucketed down here last night. We are still waiting for the dry season to start. It'a about four months late.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:37 pm
@hingehead,
I care, hinge. Wink

Streuth, this has been going on for so long! I recall you writing about the the heavy rains months ago, on your Cairns thread (I think it was)!
Cairns must be a quagmire by now!
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:41 am
@msolga,
And more rain expected ...

Quote:
Army to evacuate Victorian flood victims
Updated 44 minutes ago

The Defence Force will help evacuate residents in Victoria's north as the flood crisis worsens and scores of homes remain under water.

Floodwaters are expected to rise in Gippsland and the north-east, particularly around Benalla and Wangaratta, in what residents are calling the worst floods in more than a decade.

Hundreds of homes have already been evacuated and residents are taking shelter at the six relief centres that have been set up across the state. ....

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201009/r632944_4326212.jpg
Much of the north-eastern part of Victoria has been affected by the floods. (AAP: Raoul Wegat)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/05/3002955.htm
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:46 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Victorian Weather and Warnings
Warnings for Victoria

* Warnings current:
* Coastal Waters Wind Warning for Victorian waters between Wilsons Promontory and 60nm east of Gabo Island,
* Cancellation of Local Waters Wind Warning for Gippsland Lakes, Western Port and Port Phillip,
* Cancellation of Severe Weather Warning for Central, North Central, Alpine Areas, West and South Gippsland, East Gippsland and Northeast forecast districts,
* Flood Watch for Greater Melbourne,
* Flood Watch for Barwon, Hovells Creek and Otway Ranges,
* Flood Watch for North East Victoria,
* Victoria Flood Warning Summary,
* Flood Warning - Mitchell River,
* Flood Warning - Macalister River,
* Flood Warning - Maribyrnong River,
* Flood Warning - Yarra River,
* Flood Warning - Werribee River,
* Flood Warning - Barwon River,
* Flood Warning - Mitta Mitta River,
* Flood Warning - Kiewa River,
* Flood Warning - Ovens and King Rivers,
* Flood Warning - Fifteen Mile Creek,
* Flood Warning - Broken River,
* Flood warning for Seven Creeks / Castle Creek,
* Flood Warning - Goulburn River,
* Flood Warning - Campaspe River,
* Flood Warning - Loddon River,
* Flood Warning - Avoca River,
* Flood Warning - Wimmera River,
* Flood Warning - Murray River,
* Flood Warning - Murray River upstream of Hume Weir,
* Ocean Wind Warning 1 - South Eastern area.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/index.shtml
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:18 am
My wife has oto attend a conference at Phillip island tomorrow.
the route she would normally take is cut at the golbourn river. Alternative route is via the black spur... also cut by the golbourn at achron and the rubicon at Buxton.
Finally settled on going via Euroa and down the hume through the city via the ring road and greensborough highway then onto the Monash.
Surprisingly there is little time diference.
She said the water in the sevens creek around Euroa is receeding quite rapidly, which is par for the course.

The photo above is of a park I used to frequent as a teen. It always floods there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:00 am
@msolga,
I care that you care olgs, but Cairns has evolved that we months of rain don't mean too much in terms of quagmires. As a longer time migrant said to me when I first got here 'the weather is **** for three months of the year, but you put up with it because it' s beautiful for nine months' except our nine months hasn't started yet and the **** is due to start in less than 4 months.