Number 85 - To see a tree asmiling.

danon5

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:27 am
@Stradee,
Yeah, I guess we could refer to those ghosts as the Silent Majority.............
But, heck, as long as they click -------- Bright Shining Big Grin
Stradee

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
@danon5,
Laughing

yep

Wink

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 02:53 pm
home with a wonky tummy

clicking, snoozing and drinking ginger ale
sumac

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 08:56 am
Non-native snakes in Florida.

February 2, 2010
Editorial
Grappling With Pythons

The Internet is full of ads: “clean, smooth, hypoallergenic” is the pitch for boa constrictors on one breeder’s site. Other snakes can be delivered to your home the next day. The problem is that owners often tire of these living conversation pieces.

Some snakes, like the Burmese python, can grow to more than 20 feet long and weigh 200 pounds. And their preferred diet runs to live animals instead of little pellets from the pet store. So far too many owners do the worst thing possible for the environment: they let these animals loose.

Florida’s fragile Everglades are of particular concern. Over the last decade, more than 1,300 Burmese pythons and other constrictors have been removed from the Everglades. And the rule of thumb is that for every one you can see (and their markings make them very hard to see), there are another 1,000 out there. With no natural predators, these eating machines are stripping the delicate ecosystem of birds, mammals and fish.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar recently announced plans to ban the import or interstate transport of nine snakes that are not native to the United States: Burmese and three other types of pythons, boa constrictors and four different kinds of anaconda. Over the last 30 years, about a million of these snakes have been imported into the United States, according to federal wildlife officials, and domestic snake breeders are believed to have added another million, at least, to the constrictor population. The import and transport ban is a good start.

As with other invasive species, like Asian carp or zebra mussels, it is much more difficult to get rid of these pests once they have arrived. Florida’s wildlife officials are allowing snake-hunting this spring in state areas " permits come with advice about how the skins make lovely boots and wallets. This sounds like a good, if temporary, fix " python hunting for fun, profit and preservation of the Everglades.
alex240101

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:16 am
Asian carp (Silver Carp and Bighead Carp) are now within 8 miles of Lake Michigan. The carp were originally imported from Asia to be used in for aquatic plant control in fish farms in Arkansas (1972). Floods allowed the carp to escape into the Mississippi river system in the early 1980’s and over the years have worked their way north, infesting much of this river basin as the dominant fish species in many of the rivers.

If the Asian carp are able to establish a population in the Great Lakes it will have devastating consequences to the ecosystem of the lakes. Further, it puts at risk the economies of the Great Lakes states centered on the salmon sport fishery -- $7 billion per year just in Michigan.

These species of carp grow to 100 pounds (average over 20 pounds) are a plankton feeder that eat 1/2 of their body weight per day in plankton. The Great Lakes are prime habitat for these carp species and likely will cause significant damage to the existing ecosystem.
alex240101

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:17 am
Clicked.
Hello to all.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:02 pm
@alex240101,
Thanks, Alex

Saw the program on NG and also the 'snake fish' invasion...those puppies are serious!!! Poisoned ponds to get rid of the critters, but they multipy at an alarming rate...and can live out of water!

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:05 pm
@sumac,
Not much of a choice for getting rid of the snakes.

Sad how stupid people can reduce an enviornment...that includes those that sell animals that humans have no business keeping as pets.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:08 pm
@ehBeth,
hope you're feeling well soon

((((((((((hugs))))))))))

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:16 pm
@Stradee,
home and clicking

feeling a bit better, but sooooooo tired
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@danon5,
danon5 wrote:
-------- Bright Shining Big Grin...

Yo, Danon, you've been in my thoughts as a Vietnam vet and a pilot, so I'm wondering: was that phrase rummaged out of any vague recollection of "A Bright Shining Lie" by any chance? You don't have to answer, but rest assured many thoughts and good wishes are and stay forever with you.

Folks here (Stradee as well as our hostess, and probably yet more of the posters on this thread) know my e-mail address if you care to reply off-line (am travelling overseas and can only post intermittently) but I did come across a "big shining" fluid dynamics sequence of equations - yes I know it sounds funny but then again here's posted proof, courtesy of latest National Geographic. Keep well, you and family, as well as everyone else here Smile
http://s.ngeo.com/wpf/media-live/photologue/photos/2010/02/01/cache/025775_600x450.jpg
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/02/photogalleries/100201-fluid-motion-winners-pictures/#025775_600x450.jpg
danon5

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
@High Seas,
Hi Hi, You have a serious mind reading order. Are you the real "Mentalist"?
It was a horrible time to be in the zone for drafting into the military. I received my draft notice - I still have it upstairs in a box if you'd like to see it!! I told you I was a packrat. It didn't take me long to figure out the politics of the war in the Nam --- then I went out into the local villages and met some of the people. They were all extremely nice and warmly welcomed me into their shops. In the streets it was a different experience - I had to take everything out of my pockets and place it all in one pocket of my shirt - then walk the street with one hand on the pocket because about a million kids were crowding around me and I could feel their little hands and fingers going into every pocket. I found the average Vietnamese person was very friendly and would go out of their way to be nice. There were also the other ones who didn't come out and be nice. I avoided them.
I had my billets in a hooch with another officer - we shared the same "hooch maid" - she was a little grandmother who really did a great job taking care of our living quarters and clothing. At the end of my tour of duty I wanted to give her some special things - she said the guards would take it all. I walked with her to the guard post and outside the area - then gave her the stuff. She was happy and I was happy.
Yeah, I learned fast to help those who deserved it and stay away from the ones who didn't --- and, fight the ones who would fight me and my friends. I didn't believe we should have been there, but, we were and it became a crazy time.
I believe Oliver Stone got it right when he said something about we met the enemy and the enemy was us.
sumac

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
Good morning all you wonderful people. Snow and frozen slush is disappearing slowly here in NC and schools were closed again today for fear of the ice on the roads for the buses.

Alex - yes, those carp are a serious problem and it appears that they are going to win the race to the Great Lakes. Tha will be an evolving big ecologgical story for some time.

High Seas - good to read you here and to know that you are positively engaged overseas yet again. Would love to learn more about what you do, offline of course. Don't know your addres but mine is [email protected].

Danon - always good to hear of your experiences in Nam.

Beth - feel better and more awake soon.

Stradd - hugs, as always.

Clicking and reading,m reading and clicking.
Stradee

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:19 pm
@sumac,

Good morning, sue and all amazing wildclickers!!

Visiting daughter today so i must dash...

Have a marvelous day all !

danon5

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:28 pm
@Stradee,
Thanks for the clicks all you Wildclickers !!!

Moere (Hi, Iz) More trees asmilin !!!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:20 pm
@danon5,
g'day all
my first day back at work
a bit wobbly, but it was good to be back
came home to discover that the little dogs had had to take up nursing duties as Set is now down for the count
Pedialyte freezies are being chilled for him now
clicked
came home to click, read and do a little light duty nursing (those dogs sure do a good job of taking care of their patients - they just can't do some of the more technical things - like preparing chicken soup)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:21 pm
@ehBeth,
oh oh oh
best of all - there's been some snow again
the doggies and I are thrilled THRILLED thrilled
alex240101

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 07:26 am
@ehBeth,
Clicked. Finished. Contemplating.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Hurray!

Glad you're feeling better, Beth.

Sending hugs to Set and puppies too!

Attended granddaughters basketball game last night. Shelby's truly amazing. Her dad's team won the Northern CA softball championship last year, and Shelby was also on the team. She was only 13 then. Very Happy

I'm such a lucky Nonni! Shelby and Caryssa are super kids. Smile

Izzie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 01:55 pm
@Stradee,
Stradeeeeeeeeeeeeeelallylilydiddlydidinonni " glad you visited with daughter and spent time with g-daughters.... ahhh.... that’s lovely " can hear the pride in your voice.

Love the banter going on here " I know I shouldn’t laugh, but your “and then she shot him” did make me snicker. It was a while back, but it still makes me snicker.

I can never come on here without singing a "hi diddly dee" when I see your name. Very Happy

danon5 wrote:

Hii Izzei - I didn't forget you.
http://s2.directupload.net/images/100118/bvrs6ao6.jpg

Hey Dan... ahhhhhhhh... I didn't forget you either Very Happy - they are fantastic - I love the dragony one especially. You're pretty clever a? LOVE THAT. Thank you so much for posting them... So enjoying reading your memories too " thanku for sharing them.

This was posted a few days ago... made me think.
http://able2know.org/topic/140947-1#post-3893578

I’ve lived a very blessed and sheltered life.

Quote:
Ok, clicked early this Thorsday - but not quick enough. Alottaya already clcicked - dwya ta go.................
Nuther tree chewin tobbacci n spitin in tha woods --- and asmilin..............

Smilin’ too Very Happy

I’d love to see your draft notice if you can post it...please. I 'hoard' things of special importance (and of not so special importance Wink ) ...I’ve got “things” and “stuff” from when I was a wee Iz... once in a while I will get out the boxes " and there they are, memories and things to hold onto. I have a letter from “Tante” and my Grannies... and a letter from my PaPa when I was sick and went into hospital to have my son (he had never ever written me a letter before, or since), Blue Peter badges and my Brownie Books. It’s nice to look back at the threads that make up your life.

Bethie " so glad you are better and a dancing girl. Send my love to HIM (sprays Lysol liberally) and give him a wee hug from me. Smooches for the pooches. Razz

Sumac " I’ve been reading and clicking too... click click days

(((((AlexChap))))) to you. x

HiC’s " you take care where’re you be.

torrents of rain here... snow up country...

clcikclcliclclcciicikklikclilkclkcilckcclick