Number 85 - To see a tree asmiling.

sumac

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:54 am
A very interesting science article on the evolutionary consequences of gene-culture interaction. Applicable to humans and non-humans alike. I won't post it because it is long, but it is well worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/science/02evo.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:55 am
Going to click now. Expecting a dusting of snow overnight.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:09 pm
Hi Sue and all ~

Rainy day tv...NG's hibred wildlife. Cross btwn a coyote and red wolf was eerie. Poor baby looked like a hairless Tazmanian devil. Yesterday, cross btwn a polar and grizzly bear. Blonde colored fur with darker features on face and feetsies. Nature just never ceases to amaze.

Good articles, thanks!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
@Stradee,
clicked!

bright and sunny when I came home tonight - the seasons are moving on
danon5

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Two sisters inherited a ranch - one brunette and one blonde. After surveying the ranch they both came to the conclusion that they needed a bull to expand the herd. Following a search they found a bull a few hundred miles away. It was decided that the brunette sister would go and look at the bull to decide if it would satisfy their needs. They had $600 to spend so that would be the limit. If the bull proved ok the brunette sister would then call the blonde sister who would come with the pick-up truck and trailer to take the bull back to the ranch. After traveling and looking at the bull the deal was made to purchase it for $599. The brunette sister went to the local Western Union to wire her blonde sister - she dictated the message to her blonde sister. The Western Union operator said that the message would be $.99 per letter - more than the brunette could afford so she said to the operator that she would like to send one word. The brunette said the word would be "Comfortable". Amazed, the operator who by then knew the situation asked how in the world would her sister know what to do with only one word. The brunette then said, "My sister has blonde hair and will easily understand the word as - Com, For, Da, Bull"

Cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecked

danon5

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@danon5,
Morning all. Clreeeeacking otday --- see, my evolutionary period has passed.......

Good article sumac. It's my guess that while the learned people in your article are on the right track - they have missed two very important things re. the evolution of the human race. (One), the single thing that caused the birth of Civilization approx 8300 years ago would be BEER. Or, WINE. Or, a combination of the two. Consider a man forced to leave the comfort of sitting or lying next to a warm fire and having to go HUNTING!!! The lady found some water that had been stagnating in a ditch for about a week with some grain or fruit in it. She took that to the reclining man and served him. He said "Uuuugh!!!!! More!!!!!" And, that was the end of HUNTING and so began the art of cultivation and fermentation. Of course they couldn't leave the area and so began Civilization.

(Second), ((and, this one is a little more serious)) The act of COMMUNICATION had to have affected the thought processes of early humans during the change from nomadic to settlement life. We know now from recorded history starting with both the Egyptians and the Mesopotamians almost simultaneously - that Ben Franklins jest "Birds of a Feather Stick Together" actually was a fact in that people of like intelligence tended to gather together and talk. They invented SCRIBES to scratch marks in clay and STONE MASONS to chisel patterns in stone that would remind them and other intelligent people many years later what they had said. Later the scribes used a form of ink on dried animal skins. Then in China there was developed printing with movable type faces. A German brought the same concept home to Europe years later. The skins were replaced by a new invention, PAPER - which worked much better in the presses. After that, the more intelligent people could READ stuff and learn things other more intelligent people thought about. All this communication accelerated learning without having to gather in one spot for a roudy discussion. Much later the RADIO hastened the communication process - and - soon thereafter a 12 year old boy invented an electronic tube and the Pizza de Resistaunce of communication - TV - was invented. Communication began to run rampant and we all started to learn sooner and more easily (Except for Charlies nephew on 'Two and a Half Men'.....
Oh Well, that's talkin it up!!!!!! eh.

Stradee

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Began snowing a few minutes ago....beautiful

Spring buds appearing on the Lily tree, lawns green (well, white now) seasonal changes awsome.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:28 pm
@danon5,
Watched NG's Universe series. Sure are more questions than answers, but the commentary and photos are awsome.

Beer happened to the dinosaurs no doubt. Smile

danon5

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:56 pm
@Stradee,
Yes Stradee - that did happen to the dino's --- However, the brain of the dino was reptilian - as is the inner core of our ((human)) brains. We are all of the same species and from the same original animal. We should try to get along with each other.

ie, "Hello, Stradee!!"

"I am alive........

what do you think of that?"

Stradee

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm
@danon5,
Don't quite know what to make of that statement, dan.

Last time i looked, so was I. (alive, that is - and cordial with folks)

so..........

"Hello Dan"!!

Glad yur on the earth. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:03 pm
@Stradee,
Cherry cordial, anyone?

Or peanut butter and cherry jam on toast?

yum!

clicked in the a.m. and sent out more invites to FB friends to click through the link there!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:32 am
@Stradee,
Stradee,
Well now - that didn't come out the way I had intended. Sorry bout that.

Back to my problem vocalizing sounds into words and then scrambling the words to make mystery puzzles for people. Always been a problem of mine.

Stradee

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:45 am
@danon5,
Have to remember people arn't mind readers...and we're all guilty occassonally.

Abstraction = I know what I meant...! (grin)

Have a good day all ~

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:57 am
@danon5,
danon5 wrote:

Hi Hi, You have a serious mind reading order. Are you the real "Mentalist"?.....

Not I, Danon, any more than my good friend Stradee here - she just told you we're not mind-readers, and she's right as usual! Still, there some background in our common stories - said and, sadly most often, unsaid - so I think that you, she, sumac, of course our hostess eBeth, and others here would enjoy this passage from another thread: http://able2know.org/topic/142456-1#post-3924540

I do read you even though I don't often post - and btw am getting somewhat disheartened by the sheer number of lunatic, clueless, or just plain ignorant posters on this forum. Still, there are enough world-class people here making it worth persevering - all the best to you, Danon, your Patti, and you all Smile
Stradee

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:05 pm
@High Seas,
Good reading, thanks much for directing our course here a bit, also mindful of how much I miss reading your posts.

I've not posted much at a2k, just the rainforest thread, Dan, beth and sue are keeping the clicking tradition alive and well. I know i've clicked every day for the past eight years, beth and dan began the threads at Abuzz! Amazing

I've seen a few of your postings at msolga's 'whale' thread, and am glad you participated. I am concerned:

Earlier this week Japan's Fisheries minister announced that Japan wants to resume commercial whaling and called on the U.S. to work together to make this happen. Media reports that a proposal to throw out the ban on commercial whaling was discussed at the meeting of International Whaling Commission currently underway at St. Pete's Beach, Florida. A vote to resume commercial whaling could take place at the IWC Annual General Meeting in Morocco in June.

Lets hope Obama's promise will be carried to Morocco: "As president, I will ensure that the U.S. provides leadership in enforcing international wildlife protection agreements, including strengthening the international moratorium on commercial whaling. Allowing Japan to continue commercial whaling is unacceptable."
- Senator Obama responding to a Greenpeace questionnaire on March 16, 2008

Aristotle would have probably denounced cruelty to wildlife in all forms, and for that i'll read the text in Greek if need be. Smile

So good seeing you here, Hoft.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
@High Seas,
Good evening, good morning, good afternoon, a peaceful earthturn to all WildClickers.

mrs. hamburger's birthday today. The first one without her. It's a sad day with happy memories tucked into it.

clicked
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee wrote:
beth and dan began the threads at Abuzz!

Aa was the beginning Rainforest clicker (as I recall it). Andrew K had the idea of a team, set up the first Abuzz team, that we are descendents of.

Love you all - whenever you joined, and however often you click.
Stradee

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:05 pm
@ehBeth,
That's right! Forgive my brain fade. We've all done quite a good job of it...and thanks to you and dan, Beth, the threads live on.

Difficult losing our parents, moms and dads are so dear to our hearts, forever.

Sending good thoughts to you and Mr. Hamburger. Steady healing and love.

danon5

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:13 pm
@Stradee,
Somewhere on our beautiful blue ball in space there is a tree asmiling.

High Seas

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:17 am
@danon5,
.... and if the tree is in New York, its smile is valued so highly that it's included in an annual tree census - yes, honestly, I'm not making this up!
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/18/nyregion/18tree-600.jpg
Quote:
Step 1 was a tree census, a two-year process that sent more than 1,000 volunteers to count every tree on every street in the city. The census results were then fed into a computer program that spit out a dollar value for each of the 592,130 trees counted, a figure that does not include the roughly 4.5 million trees in parks and on private land.... The program, called Stratum, was developed by researchers at the University of California at Davis and the United States Forest Service.
Source: NYT
0 Replies