Debris generated from building highways

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:08 pm
Tons of debris and miles of fallen trees, stumps, roots, bushes, etc. are produced every time land is cleared to build roadways, highways, etc.

How is it disposed of? I see trucks (maybe I should follow them) hauling it away, but where do they take it? One website says they shred a lot of it and haul it away to be "disposed" of. How do they dispose it? Probably not enough landfills to dispose of all of it. And most places do not allow it to be disposed of by burning. So where do they take it? Maybe they hide it at some ranch or farm?

Question was posed by a 10-year-old girl. I had no answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@easyasabc,
I would suppose, and suppose means guess in this context, that trees would at least be turned into various forms of manufactored building materials like waferboard and particle board.

Highways use enormous quantities of dirt, gravel, and road base. Ask your 10 year old what happens to the holes (quarries) that are left behind. That should divert her from the main question for awhile. If she doesn't know, I have to tell you I don't either.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
Wood is chipped for mulch then reused on highway plantings or sold to soli and mulch suppliers for domestic users.
it would not be used for wafer and particle board as these products need to be consistenly the same type of wood, and have particles of a consistent size.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:03 pm
@dadpad,
<said I was guessing>
dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:06 pm
@roger,
i guessed as much
Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:09 pm
@dadpad,
locallyhere'boots, same guy contracts to build roads as contracts to sell mulch.

he's a contractor.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:25 pm
In my town the waste (as well as collected tree trimmings) gets mulched at a facility between the city pool and a dog park. Same place they store the road salt and sand.
0 Replies