The matter of the balcony failing

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 07:56 pm
I used to know a fair amount on all this but that has faded away. I don't know anything re who designed the balconies, and why they didn't make the balconies stand. My take is that it seems dumb, but I don't know details.

I also remember many many instances of balconies failing in the past. Does no one pay attention re weight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Is no one else interested? Wby would a modern balcony fail? Too many people on it, sure, but how does that happen? I'd like to see the architectural specs, for a start.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:24 am
@ossobuco,
I am guessing that it was overloaded. A 5x10 is probably rated for three adults thus designed to load to 1000 pounds, but if you have a keg plus ice at 250 pounds and you get four or five people maybe grooving to music it is easy to put more that 1000 lbs of force on it. Dont know what was on it at collapse, but the above scene could happen on that space.

Not too many years ago I was taking a kid to college, we drove the elantra because the pass was a mess and that Elantra does a lot better in snow than my Chevy conversion van did. College kid had supplies along too, loaded out the back. I was concerned that we kept bottoming out, thought that I had suspension or spring problems. My mechanic calmly pointed out that the car is only rated at about 900 lbs, that it was 8 years old, probably could not do it anymore, and we just maxed it out. THe car is rated for 5 passengers and we only had 4, and the luggage fit, so all should be good right? Not.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:40 am
@hawkeye10,
or not

Quote:
The 1998 California building standards in effect when the building was designed required the balcony to support 60 pounds per square foot, Childress said.

Under that standard, the roughly 50-square-foot balcony could have held about 3,000 pounds. Thirteen people, averaging 200 pounds each, standing on it at the same time would have added up to 2,600 pounds.

A new state building code effective Jan. 1, 2008, increased the load requirements for such an apartment building to 100 pounds per square foot, said Childress Engineering code consultant Ray Kirby.

Childress said the deck would not have been overloaded had it been filled shoulder-to-shoulder with people. The water intrusion doomed it, he said.

"The water infiltrated from the top down, and the wood snapped from the top down," the structural engineer said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_28325887/expert-dry-rot-caused-berkeley-balcony-collapse

This building sat partially built for about years, which could have caused big problems. The contractor who started my house went bankrupt and construction stopped for many months as it was left open to the rain over winter......this has caused me some major problems.
0 Replies