The Emperor's New Clothing?

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:00 pm
Is it just me or is most fashion today just ridiculous? I went shopping with two of my nieces the other day and I hated everything they put on. One of them sent me a slide show from the NYTimes in the hopes of convincing me it's not as bad as I think. What she sent made me even more convinced that clothing is uglier than ever. Now maybe since I tend to dress like a Steampunk I can't criticize, but does anyone else think current fashions are absurd?

Below is one of the shots from NYTimes. Those open bellybutton shorts sell for something like $500. Even a beautiful, skinny girl like this model look as if she threw on that outfit in the middle of night because she heard someone yell "FIRE!". Who can wear this stuff and why would they want to?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/photo/2009/12/10/20091210-wang-slideshow/31930821.JPG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 4,365 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Gala

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
@Green Witch,
Despite the cost, I think those clothes are very cute and the model looks great.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:13 pm
@Gala,
I guess I just don't get it. I think she would look much better in something (almost anything) else.
George

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:16 pm
Quote:
Now maybe since I tend to dress like a Steampunk . . .

Now that I would like to see!
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:22 pm
@George,
Do a Google image search and maybe you will find me.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:29 pm
I with you Green. Fashion has always eluded me. I see what is passing for fashion these days and it just blows my mind. But then again I never really see anyone wearing any of this stuff. Maybe it's just my location or what ever, but still, I wouldn't be caught dead in it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:36 pm
@Green Witch,
I get why you don't get it-- it's a gut reaction. I took one look and thought cute! there are some fashions I see and cannot believe how bad they look. Steampunk, to me, is so in your face dressing.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:41 pm
I don't respond well to shrunken jackets on men or women, tinyish sweaters that stretch to button, belts just under boobs (see M. Obama on those last two), faux tears in jeans, and am generally revolted by 5 inch high heels except as a kind of sculpture, thinking otherwise of chinese foot binding. But that's just me.
Gala

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not crazy about some of M. Obama's high waisted belts. (Please note, I think it's ridiculous they've turned the woman into a fashion icon. She has a brain, but as first lady she's required to be non-threatening, hence, the mile high hair and some of those silly belts.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:48 pm
@Gala,
I'm a very toned down Steampunk - think paisley shawls and granny boots - my corset days are over. (Hey, I lived in the East Village for all of the 80's and majored in Pre-Raphaelite art, have mercy).

My nieces are very attractive and thin, but they often come around in things that make them look lumpy and dumpy. Much of looks like it just doesn't fit them. They defend it by saying it's "what's in fashion". I would rather find something that might not be so cutting edge but looks good. Even when some of these styles are fitted properly they look off balance.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Shoes have long been a way to torture women and slow them down.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:51 pm
i won't deny the girl is cute, but i like tom girls, give me a girl in jeans and a t-shirt (and not designer jeans) or pajama pants and a sweatshirt and i'm happy
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:53 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Shoes have long been a way to torture women and slow them down.

And yet in this day and age women still buy the most painful (if only in looking) shoes that money can buy!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:59 pm
@Green Witch,
I can't seem to find that slide show, GW, do you have a link?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:03 pm
@Seed,
I don't get it either, Seed. We do have options in this big old capitalist world.

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Try this:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/12/09/fashion/20091210-wang-slideshow_8.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1261166640-w/G2G4usjMfC7FDS1Ts9jg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:18 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks...
now to stare at the photos
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Maybe that's why. With so many options people usually end up going with what the know the best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, yours was the best of them (I don't mind the top).

Soon this will pass.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
The top would be fine with jeans or a little flip mini skirt. I think I picked that picture because my niece tried on a similar pair of shorts (she's going to Costa Rica and was looking for "cruise wear"). The shorts made her belly stick out in a very unflattering way - she's 5'7' and about 125lbs. I could not imagine why someone with her body would want to make herself look 5 months pregnant.