Animal Collectables..pre-war..metal

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:13 am
Who can save my wife and I from going mad? We need help here...we have been given a group of small alumininium (or similar) flat animal figures..about 1" x 1" ..which we were told were issued by one of the bedtime drinks companies before the war.

They were free with a tin or jar of the product and you had to save a full range (or attempt to).

We can find absolutely no information about these little figures at all and would sincerely welcome any help anyone might be able to give.

They have no names or numbers stamped on them, the metal they are made from is still bright and shiney, they are animals like Lions, Tigers, etc...and they are driving us nuts.....

Thanks in advance.......

Doug
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,139 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:17 am
@truebluelight,
Two questions: can you post a picture? And, what country are they from? Okay, a third question, do you have any information on the history of the figurines before you got them (e. g. they were a little girl's toys, they were collected and kept in an attic, etc.)?
truebluelight

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:17 am
@jespah,
Hello...I would be happy to post a picture...how do I go about it?

The only history I have is that the old gent I got them from remembers collecting them one-by-one with jars or packets of something like Cadbury's Bourneville Chocolate Drink.

He is sure it was pre-war..the country is England, although we don't know if they were made here. On closer inspection I think they are made of a composite metal which is not aluminium.

Doug
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@truebluelight,
I found this:

Quote:
Toys have long been associated with chocolate. In 1934, miniature metal animals, around 1.5 inches high, were given away with tins of cocoa. The wide variety of creatures included an elephant, turtle, penguin, owl, fox, duck, pig, squirrel and rabbit, and most of them had colourful moulded clothing. Today, these small animal figures sell from £10, and are very collectable, with a rare variation of a Dumpty Doo duck selling for £100 at Vectis.

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/magazine/issue38/iss38p4.html

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/magazine/issue38/choccadburyanimals.jpg

They're 3-D, not flat, but thought it might be a lead...
truebluelight

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:28 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for that sozobee...mine are not like those at all...mine are flat..with little bases to stand upright on...double sided, i.e. they look the same from both sides...and not painted at all..they are bright silver metal
How do I post a picture so you cam all see what we are talking about?

Doug
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:03 am
I found this:

Quote:
Toys have long been associated with chocolate. In 1934, miniature metal animals, around 1.5 inches high, were given away with tins of cocoa. The wide variety of creatures included an elephant, turtle, penguin, owl, fox, duck, pig, squirrel and rabbit, and most of them had colourful moulded clothing. Today, these small animal figures sell from £10, and are very collectable, with a rare variation of a Dumpty Doo duck selling for £100 at Vectis. Children could join the highly popular Cococub Club, which had its own magazine and within 2 years boasted 300,000 members. After the war, Cadbury introduced the C. Cubs, a follow-up to the Cococubs which had been disbanded in 1939.

Here: http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/magazine/issue38/iss38p4.html

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:12 am
Do they look kind of like this?

http://www.signal8-2.com/3cc01.jpg

truebluelight

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:25 am
@boomerang,
Hello Boomerang,

Very nearly...the main difference between your Elephant and my animals is that yours is free-standing. Mine are on little plinths with small stabilizers at the sides...more like your person figure...but with those little stabilisers......the metal looks very much the same although your figures seem to have more detail.

Doug
0 Replies