How to identify other companies weaknesses

Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
I'm curious about how to find the areas in what big corporations are failing to do great or in other words... weaknesses that can become opportunities for other companies. Is there any tool that helps?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,184 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@fernandorc,
I'm going to take a wild guess and say comparative financial statements. Then compare them to others in the same industry, if you can find comps that are really in the same industry. General Electric, as an example is such a diversified conglomerate that you just aren't going to find anything remotely comparable.

So, you can spot weakness. How does that become an opportunity for someone else. I recall a company totally involved in robotics, but were known to be in such a poor financial position that I didn't consider them an investment opportunity. Sure enough, they were bought out by General Motors, and the share price went through the roof.

So, a company with a unique and valuable technology or product, but having too weak a financial position to exploit their technology might be what you are looking for.

I know of no single tool that will get you there. If you want good information and stock suggestions, Value Line is still good.
0 Replies

mm25075

Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
I don't know if any specific tools that help, but often I call up my company's competitors and act as if I am interested in becoming their customer.
0 Replies