Can alcohol change personality, or does it just reveal what is there?

Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
rule of thumb in substance abuse gathering:

The social drinker can have a couple of drinks and his personality doesn't change.

The alcoholic has a couple of drinks and there is a personality change, i.e. the shy wallflower turns into a pole dancer on the dance floor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 03:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
Well, I think that alcohol in excess causes brain damage, and, over time, this can produce changes in personality over and above the addiction thing.

Although, it's interesting....ever met anyone with Korsakoff's...(a dementia common in alcoholics and older anorexics..due to vitamin B deficiency)?

Often the apparent personality remains there...all the mannerisms and ways of relating...but there's just no content.
Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
@dlowan,
Have you every taken any substance abuse courses?
dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
@Sglass,
Only very general ones...don't work in that area.

From what I have seen of it, I don't find a lot of the AA dogma convincing at all, by the way, if you were thinking of posting about that.

I don't dispute that it works for a lot of people, but I don't find a lot of the stuff said about the difference between alcoholics and others persuasive, for instance.
dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:20 pm
@Sglass,
I thought at first you were asking if I'd ever abused any substances.

Wink

The answer is yes.

But I seem, generally speaking, to remain myself.

Quite sad, really.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:24 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Although, it's interesting....ever met anyone with Korsakoff's...(a dementia common in alcoholics and older anorexics..due to vitamin B deficiency)?

It's actually vitamin B1 (thiamine) - and the relation to alcoholics is that this syndrome was first described by Korsakoff with alcoholics - severe malnutrition, dietary deficiencies, and eating disorders are for instances some other actual reasons for a Korsakoff.

A combination of the Wernicke and Korsakoff s., the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is worse - and found more with (deadly ill) alcoholics than Korsakoff.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@dlowan,
Please qualify what is an alcoholic behavior and what is not alcoholic behavior in your thinking. AA is for folks smart enough, before it is too late, to stop drinking .

Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:43 pm
@Sglass,
paint by numbers is one of many ways to make a picture.

Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Excuse me Rockhead, I don't think this is the William Alexander thread.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
@Sglass,
might be more interesting if it were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Melville_Alexander
Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@Rockhead,
wrong Alexander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZBrdMuzBY
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@Sglass,
yeah.

somebody else brought him up I think.

not as colorful as my guy.

anyway, back to the bunny's show now...
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 07:12 pm
@dlowan,
No I would never ask you that question. It's not any of my business.

0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:00 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
Please qualify what is an alcoholic behavior and what is not alcoholic behavior in your thinking. AA is for folks smart enough, before it is too late, to stop drinking .

I think scared comes before smart. For example, our former genius alcoholic president G.W.Bush got an ultimatum from his wife Laura: "it's either the sauce, or me" (paraphrased, but you get the idea).

Or, the doctor tells them their liver is past pickled and will stop filtering within a month.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:51 am
@dlowan,
No, why?
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:08 am
@Eorl,
I didn't see anyone here who stated that alcohol "merely lowers inhibitions." I consider that the loss of inhibition is a drastic condition, and can be potentially dangerous.

A problem i see with this discussion's direction is a comparison of the "social drinker," the occasional binge drinker, the chronic binge drinker and the alcoholic. Referring, for example, to the effects which arise from malnutrition in alcoholics with regard to change in personality is not at all the same as asking if the occasional binge drinker undergoes a permanent personality change.
Sglass

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
I understand Set. It seems folks want to discuss alcohol effects without discussing the detremental aspects.
Gala

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:42 pm
@Sglass,
We all know the damage alcohol can cause. Do you want personal stroies, or what? Cause I know I'm not going to go into it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@Gala,
The misuse of alcohol cause damages.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@Gala,
Not interested in war stories. But I do love recovery stories.
0 Replies