Alcohol - Need advice

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2024 09:47 pm
Hello,

I don't know where to start...I've been addicted to alcohol for 2 years, I'm 30. I have a job that I like but that puts me under a lot of stress. I'm currently retraining for that.
My family doesn't understand my pathology; on the contrary, they push me towards alcohol because I feel so judged. I don't know where to turn, even though I'm under the care of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, and yet I can't cope.
I'm fed up, I'd rather drink than do the things I used to enjoy doing. I want to destroy myself but I'm too afraid of suicide to go through with it.

I don't know if what I'm saying speaks to anyone, but if there are people to whom it speaks and perhaps who have come out of it, I'm interested because I don't know what else to do to get better.
I'd like to have a normal life with a husband, children and a fulfilling job, but at the moment that's far from being the case.

I don't even feel capable of meeting someone because of my addiction. I feel I don't deserve it, especially as I'm obese, which doesn't help my self-image.

For those of you brave enough to read this, I thank you.

roger

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2024 10:14 pm
@Blunderbuss,
All I can do is wish you the best of luck
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2024 11:06 pm
@Blunderbuss,
I can't understand that your psychiatrist or psychologist have sent you to AA.
Perhaps you need to switch to someone who has your best interest at heart and will help you. Neither one seems to do that!

Go to your nearest AA center and ask for help. Don't delay, go tomorrow
and they'll help you.

Alcohol is certainly not the answer, life is beautiful, you just need to go on the right track and get the necessary help.

Please go to AA tomorrow and ask for help and let us know how it went!
Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2024 06:25 am
@Blunderbuss,
You're under the care of two doctors and they're doing... what, exactly?

Listening to you in talk therapy? Giving you coping mechanisms? Medicating you?

Nobody clicks with every therapist. You're allowed to change them if it's not working out.

AA isn't for everyone (it's a very religious organization, for one thing). But if it works for you, then do it.

But you're right that something has to change. You are on a self-destructive path and, if your course of life does not change, it's not going to be a pretty ending.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2024 09:07 am
@Blunderbuss,
Quote:
I can't cope

I was in a similar situation almost 40 years ago (albeit male and four years older than you are).
And I've been sober ever since.

I am firmly convinced that if you want to give up alcohol and lead a different, new life - then you can.
You and only you - not a psychologist, not a psychiatrist - decide how things should continue with you.

You have already experienced for yourself that alcohol can make you forget anger and worries for a short time, but that this anger and worries can, so to speak, swim in alcohol and even get bigger as a result.

You alone decide how things should continue with you. And will continue. Accept the help that is offered to you on the way to a new, better life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2024 08:20 pm
I too am an ex alcoholic. What Walter said resonates with me. I hope you can break the addiction.
0 Replies