Flooring Shrinks

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's the part that had me puzzled, Edgar. But overall, if there is substantial ground moisture under the buildings where this is happening, maybe moisture is getting into the concrete, even on the second floor. Again flooding something with water and the movement of vapor are two different things.

Have you stuck a moisture meter onto, into the offending areas? Didn't you also say that it was concrete on top of a waferboard type material, let me check, ... yup, that's what you've got.

I remember Panzade talking how that stuff was like a sponge in the Florida area. Are you also in a high humidity area?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:32 pm
We are in a high humidity area. But, a bit less so than most no-problem properties closer to the gulf.
JTT

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is the "waferboard" OSB board?

And has the concrete topping [I suspect it's a 1.5 to 2" topping, is it not?] been poured directly onto the 'waferboard' or is there a slip membrane between the two. If so, what's the slip membrane made of?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:02 pm
None of the apartment complexes in Houston have that. I know, because I framed many of them myself, back in the boom days, including the year this complex was built. Yet, many of these apartments have tile installed by these same people and they have no such problem, according to information I have. We have had the vinyl squares from the beginning and still do, in half of the apartments and not one of those shrunk. The squares were replaced more than once, with no problems. I don't believe moisture is more of a problem for us than anyone else.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
OSB is commonly referred to as waferboard by construction people in our area.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
More and more, from what you say, it seems like moisture is not the problem, Edgar. Has a moisture meter been applied to those areas. That'd pretty much cinch it.

Quote:
OSB is commonly referred to as waferboard by construction people in our area.

Fair enough. Just wanted to get on the same page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:38 pm
I have a moisture meter. I can put it on there tomorrow. I don't expect it to reveal anything. During some of these floor failures, we experienced one of the severest droughts in my memory, and we did not water enough around the buildings, in my judgement. I just don't believe the moisture theory. More likely, to me, product failure.
High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar - while reading something very far removed from your kitchen in Houston >
Quote:
The need for alternative sources of energy is a military necessity....In Iraq and Afghanistan about 40% of fuel is used to run electricity generators. A successful quick-fix to reduce energy consumption was to coat military tents with a thick layer of commercial insulating foam, of the kind used for cavity walls in homes, covered with a sealant to protect it from ultraviolet light...

http://www.economist.com/sciencetechnology/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15048783&source=hptextfeature
> I thought the color of the tiles, since it's a contributing factor in relative damage between your floor and other apartments with the identical tiles, could only make a difference when exposed to sunlight - how sunny is your kitchen, and are your windows reflective or at least somewhat darker than the standard transparent kind? Do you have curtains or blinds? Ultraviolet radiation at your latitude can be pretty fierce.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:29 pm
@High Seas,
Our apartments get relatively little sunlight, if any. We have PVC blinds - 2''
High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Scratch that thought, then.... not moisture, not ultraviolet radiation, not radon gas from the basement, AND the tiles (except for color) are exactly identical to tiles in dozens of other apartments with the selfsame cement floor? I can think of 2 people online who might know the cause of the damage: one is Blatham, the other is Farmerman - maybe there are others as well. Good luck Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
@High Seas,
There are no basements in Houston.
High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
None? I used to work at the Pennzoil Tower (live at the Hyatt hotel closest to it) and never knew these high-rise buildings just stood there without foundations! Anyway, if you have any flowerpots on your terrace you know to blame the tile damage to the plants' CO2 causing global warming Smile
Quote:
America's ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY declared
that six greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, "threaten the
health and welfare of the American people".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:31 pm
I can't state categorically the there are zero basements, just that they are not normal if there are any.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh. It's a home improvement thread. When I saw "Flooring shrinks" I thought it'd be about KOing psychiatrists.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 09:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought there were no basements in California until I bought an old house that had a big basement..
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, but I grew up in California and never saw a basement there, either.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I can't state categorically the there are zero basements, just that they are not normal if there are any.

Second that, re: Houston and no basements. I knew a total of one family who had a basement, and it was a novelty; I was actually kind of blown away when I saw it for the first time.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Some years back, I was there when a family arrived in Dallas at their new home. These New Yorkers ran all over the place trying to find a basement. He he.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:45 pm
The problem is that the floors r too damned low.

Every year thay get lower n further out of reach.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
They are no lower than my feet. Any more, I would be floating.