Only in OZ?

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:13 pm
Unexpectant mum shocked by birth
Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Carolyn Hounsell got "a very big shock" when she delivered a healthy baby boy. ( Sydney Australia)

SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) -- An Australian woman got the shock of her life when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy just three hours after learning she had been pregnant for nine months.
Carolyn Hounsell, 27, went to her doctor with stomach pains and was admitted to hospital, The Daily Telegraph reported this weekend. A few hours later, the care worker said she got "a very big shock" when she delivered a 3.6 kilogram boy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,513 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Montana

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
You know that actually happened to a girl I went to school with. She had no idea she was pregnant until she went into labor. I don't know how anyone cannot know they're pregnant.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:44 pm
Extreme overweight can mask the signs of pregnancy, including erratic (or no) menstruation, weight gain, etc.

My mother says it happened to an otherwise girl in her eighth-grade class (this would be about 1930). She says the girl was extremely innocent, had no idea that what she'd done could cause pregnancy, or why her body was behaving as it was...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:16 pm
And - the Sydney couple had been told they could not have children...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:51 pm
"Where's the fetus gonna gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"

Or is that not what you mean?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:21 pm
Huh PD?

The other thing - which is interesting - is that denied, or unknown, pregnancies are carried differently - true! You don't get the belly - it seems to more go to the hips - odd, but Ihave seen enough to speak confidently. This woman does not appear particularly overweight in photographs.

I can see no motive for her to deny the pregnancy - which is usually what seems to be happening in "unknown" pregnancies if the woman is not very large indeed - so this may be one of those odd happenings.

Who knew that how you look when pregnant is partially psychologically mediated!

When you are counselling women in denial, you know if you are being effective, cos their bellies pop out quite suddenly!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 04:36 pm
There was just a story last week about a woman in Cinncinati that has MS and had been told she couldn't become pregnant. She went to go to the bathroom and out dropped a baby boy. Her hubby scooped the baby out of the toilet and called 911 to get help. Last I heard the baby was doing fine but she never knew she was pregnant and she was under pretty much weekly medical care. *shrug*

Doh! Found a link to the story!
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2534058/detail.html
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:26 pm
dlown, are births for women who are in ignorance/denial easier or more difficult?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 11:38 pm
The girl I went to school with was extremely overweight, so in that case I can see how it can happen. The thing that puzzles me is that after so many months the baby starts to move around. Heck, when I was pregnant my son did some major kicking me in the ribs, so I knew he was there alright, LOL! When this girl told me her story, I was in absolute awe that she didn't know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:30 am
Acquiunk wrote:
dlown, are births for women who are in ignorance/denial easier or more difficult?

Hmm - I cannot answer definitively! However, I have heard lots of descriptions of "indigestion", "stomach pain" etc - I cannot help but feel that there seems to be less pain!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:24 am
I knew I was pregnant, but my daughter wasn't especially active... If I had been in denial or extremely innocent/unaware, I could have ignored it, or assigned the feelings to another cause. As it was, I worried a bit that she DIDN'T kick me very hard!

p.s. she's 14 and wonderful!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:33 am
On one of the discovery channel medical shows I saw, a 17 year old (who didn't know she was pregnant) girl gave birth to a baby not long after the doctor examined her. She wasn't overweight and the doctor was absolutely amazed. He said that her belly didn't show the slightest sign of pregnancy.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:36 am
Hi Wilso! A friend of mine is visiting Oz just now... I wish I were...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 10:26 am
In the admittedly minimal data (literature) on hunter/gather births, the process seems relatively painless and uneventful. I am wondering that if a women simply assumes that pregnancy and birth are a natural process it will be mostly ignored and the physical consequence will be minimal. dlown noted that when counseling women in denial, she knew the counseling was effective when the belly suddenly popped out. This may be an interesting example of the effect of cultural ( and psychological) assumptions on natural processes. As we have spent most of out existence as a species as hunter/gathers I suspect that modern pregnancy/birth is as much a cultural as it it a natural events. Which would explain why these women in "ignorance/denial", and as a result minimizing the cultural implications, find the pregnancy/birth process so uneventful.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 02:59 pm
Prolly only works for uneventful births, though -
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 03:33 pm
Uh...about those women who didn't know they were pregnant...I wonder if the incidence of birth defects is higher since they wouldn't have known avoid alcohol & certain drugs, nor would they have watched their diet, taken vitamins, etc. Just wondering...
0 Replies