You've talked to a friend about A2K ... they're interested ... ..

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:51 am
Not having any friends in real life excludes me from adding to this discussion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:51 am
@Thomas,
And the German netizens don't know how to share . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 09:44 am
Has the concept of a "friend" ever been proven scientifically, or is a friend just some variation of acquaintance? I say this since one can have a "false friend," but not a "false acquaintance." I think "friend" is all in one's mind, and perhaps in another's mind. But, what both might be feeling is just a strong attachment to an acquaintance? And then friends fade out of one's life; not just due to geographical distance. Sometimes it is due to a divergence of prior similarities, I believe. Then, was the friendship just a "friendly acquaintanceship"?

Plus, has there ever been any codification of rules "friends" live by? I have never seen any, so I think the friendship concept is just too loosey-goosey to give credence to, other than giving credence to one's desire to not live a life only filled with "acquaintanceships."

Perhaps, this can all be proven with algebra?
Gala

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:38 am
@Foofie,
I don't think friendship can be quantified, but they have done some qualitative research on how friendship improves your life. Friendships certainly do come and go, most of them go. As for online friendships, in many ways seem to be the least complicated.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:00 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

... & tell you they'd like to become involved, too.

This happened to me on the weekend and ... & my initial reaction (which I kept to myself) was that I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable about the idea. Even though I'm very fond of the friend. Then I wondered if I was being rather mean-spirited.

So I'd be interested in hearing your views on this.

I know there are A2Kers who've joined on the recommendation of already involved friends.

I know there are A2Kers who a related to other A2Kers.

Then there's A2K couples ....

Doesn't seem to be a problem for these folk.

So if someone asked you, what would your response be & why?

`

I 'd be honest n tell him the truth, forthrightly.
I 'd also tell him that on the Internet, I give myself into free, hedonic, abandon
which is not fully consistent with my more reserved demeanor in the real world.

David
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:14 am
Interesting. OmSig David, with whom I usually disagree vehemently, is the only one I empathize with on this thread.

I have no secrets. I don't care who sees what I post on these threads. I have, on occasion, mentioned the site to people and even invited them to join. I invariably get looks on the order of 'Gee, you seem so sane otherwise.' So there, at least, a number of us are on common ground.

I have absolutely no use for Facebook. I joined at Seaglass' suggestion. She uses Facebook to stay abreast of the doings of her family members. I never visit my Facebook site any more. That whole absurd "friending" idea is off-putting to me. I don't care for cliques. My door is always open. To anyone who cares to drop in. End of rant.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:58 am
@msolga,
I'm not worried about the worlds colliding thing. My dad is an A2k member, my best friend from high school is a member and occasional poster, my best local friend is a reader (and extremely occasional poster), a couple of other friends have joined and posted over the years and continue to read along.

I don't know if I don't have enough secrets or somethin', but <shrug> I'm o.k. with people from my real life being here.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:24 pm
This is the place I come to bitch about all my friends, so I have no desire for them to show up here.
Gala

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:29 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
This is the place I come to bitch about all my friends, so I have no desire for them to show up here.

Geez, I'm glad we're not friends.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:34 pm
@Gala,
How do you know we're not?
Gala

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:38 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
How do you know we're not?

Because I'd be reading about my bad behavior somewhere in able2know. Although, I've never seen you post anything bad about anyone.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:41 pm
@Gala,
I never tell my friend's secrets, and yeah, overall I tend to be a goodie goodie.
Gala

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:43 pm
@Green Witch,
I don't tell friends secrets, but I might be prone to complain about them from time to time.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:22 pm
@ehBeth,

facebook is really where worlds collide, not here...
George

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

scarily so
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:37 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

scarily so
How does that happen ?
George

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

George wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

scarily so
How does that happen ?

How does what happen?
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
some a2k'ers have a2k name facebooks and real name facebooks, keeps them separated, others have real name only (like me) and include the a2k'ers as friends, hence real world colliding with forum world, since all friends are visible to all other friends
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/pdYMK.jpg
Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:47 pm
@George,
These collisions are an interesting thing for me though. I used to be rather weary of the worlds colliding myself, but then I found it's no big deal when they do. Indeed, I'm now having some regrets about episodes where the worlds could have collided, almost did, but ultimately didn't because I failed to help them along.

For example, one day an online friend from A2K and a real-life friend from high school wrote into the same thread of mine. Both ladies are the same age, work in the same profession, indeed work in almost-identical specialties within their profession, and seem to me to have very compatible temperaments. They would like each other if they met. I would have introduced them in a nanosecond if their chance encounter had happened in a physical room in real life. But this was cyberspace, so I didn't.

Why? Weariness about worlds colliding, which took a day or two to overcome -- by which time the window of opportunity had closed. Now that I look back at it, this weariness looks stupid to me.