Yes, but nothing really new.

Bankers are crooks.
Consumers are stupid.
Congress is corrupt.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Foo - clearly LTX and Dys are conversant and playing. I may be wrong but I'm sure.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso,

It was an Alfa Romeo Spider, and it made my heart sing whenever I drove it. I am looking for another.

But back to credit cards, it was a bit of a financial black hole.

I'm proud to say that I've not used a credit card in nearly twenty years.

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:33 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
...her interest rate was raised to 29.7%

Goodness me! Shocked

What was the rate before this increase?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:35 pm
@LionTamerX,
I'm on the other end of this, though not an irresponsible slime dog. It is where I am, not to cause weeping and gnashing. I will at some point have to give up.

I am not alone.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:35 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:

what about today's families, tapped out on credit, income from work likely falling, home value probably less than they paid for it, and then getting hit now with 20-30% interest on credit card debt that they have no way to pay off any time during the next decade...

30 ******* percent!!!!

The noose is tightening around their necks, how will they escape? will they escape?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:38 pm
They?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

what about today's families, tapped out on credit, income from work likely falling, home value probably less than they paid for it, and then getting hit now with 20-30% interest on credit card debt that they have no way to pay off any time during the next decade...

30 ******* percent!!!!

The noose is tightening around their necks, how will they escape? will they escape?

Well, at least they can rest assured that the government has mortgaged their children's future, pretty much ensured that we'll see massive inflation in the coming decades, so that they could save the banking industry who hold these mortgages, pulling back credit, and raising interest rates.

And some people think a collapsing of the big banks would have been a bad thing?

Does that mean that this is a GOOD thing?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:46 pm
@maporsche,
I'm not clear that I understand you, maporsche, will wait until I read more.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm trying to say that I think the bailouts of the big banks, investment firms, and other financial institutions was the WRONG move to make (both Bush and Obama's actions).

Now, the tax payers are being squeezed tighter and tighter by these same firms who SHOULD have been allowed to die under the weight of the bad decisions that they have been making for decades.

AND, on top of all that, it was done with borrowed money.
mushypancakes

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:59 pm
@maporsche,

Right on! I wholeheartedly agree.

Let the rotten rot. Instead, trying to prolong artificial life of these institutions for a short while.

They provide no real value.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

30 ******* percent!!!!

I feel for those families. I really do.

My wife and I were raised by good parents who taught us sensible economic strategies, they should really teach this stuff in the schools.

I'm one of the rare ones whose investments have more than tripled during the fallout from the Bush crisis. It all comes down to plain old common sense.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah. My newest cards are accounts I've had for over 12 years. The other one has been around 25 years. Canceling any one of them and applying for a new one would lower the credit rating. I'm Dys's age, and may never need good credit again, but who know. Anyhow, until the come up with an annual fee, I'm keeping them.

I do have an annual fee with amex, but that's my oldest account, and I am reluctant to part with it. One disturbing note is that a recent notice informs me that charges may be declined even though the account is current and under the credit limit. I wouldn't appreciate being stuck in Khartom with no way home, and that is probably exactly when they would exercise the option. You know, after buying a one way ticket to a country with no extradition treaty.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:03 am
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
My wife and I were raised by good parents who taught us sensible economic strategies, they should really teach this stuff in the schools.

Really? Who is going to teach these classes, the same Ivy League business school hotshots who five years ago were running around telling everyone that lots of debt does not matter? The wall street experts (Ivy League business school hotshots also) who claimed that they understood risk when in fact they were as clueless as the average wino on Wall Street? The experts are the ones who designed and administered our thoroughly F==ed up system. Might better get Grandpa out of the home, he who lived through the depression, and while he is a bit senile he still is more wise about financial matters than the "experts".
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:08 am
@hawkeye10,
I never had a spit of info re economics is my upbringing.

I'm not for present time inculcation - but I do think some primary concepts would be useful.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Really? Who is going to teach these classes, the same Ivy League business school hotshots who five years ago were running around telling everyone that lots of debt does not matter? The wall street experts (Ivy League business school hotshots also) who claimed that they understood risk when in fact they were as clueless as the average wino on Wall Street? The experts are the ones who designed and administered our thoroughly F==ed up system. Might better get Grandpa out of the home, he who lived through the depression, and while he is a bit senile he still is more wise about financial matters than the "experts".]

My parents did, in fact grow up during the depression. My dad came from blue collar stock, while my mom came from a more blue-blooded line.

They instilled in me a strong sense of living within my means.

My wifes parents are small business owners, who taught the same lessons.

As it happens, we are considerably "richer" than most of our friends who make more money.

Other than our mortgage, which we will pay off 12 years ahead of time, we have zero debt.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:22 am
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
My parents did, in fact grow up during the depression. My dad came from blue collar stock, while my mom came from a more blue-blooded line.

They instilled in me a strong sense of living within my means.

Well now....I know then that for 20 years all of your friends told you that you were an ignorant chump who was not smart enough to take advantage of all of the tools for wealth creation that were available to you. Your refusal to use leverage to build wealth tagged you as out of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:34 am
Leveraging, a component of getting ahead at some times.

Those who don't do that are somehow lesser beings?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:44 am
Quote:
Loans charged off as uncollectible nearly doubled from a year ago in the third quarter, to $136 billion, the FDIC said.

Meanwhile, consumers are coming off a debt binge of their own and trying to mend their own tattered balance sheets.

"The consumer is cutting back as the banks are trying to hack down their loan books," said Dan Seiver, a finance professor at San Diego State. "It's not surprising, but it's not good news for the creditworthy small business that can't get money to expand."

That banks are shrinking their balance sheets at a time when the economy is sputtering and consumers are strapped is no surprise, Olasov said. He said the lending slowdown offers a sobering reminder of banks' limitations.
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/24/news/economy/banks.lending.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes
0 Replies