Handing a Credit/Debit Card to a Server

gollum

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:07 am
At some restaurants if you choose to pay the check by credit/debit card, your server asks you for your card. Later, he/she returns your card to you after swiping it or putting it in the card reader.

While the server is holding your card while outside of your view, he/she could copy down your card number and the three digit number on the back of the card. The server could then sell the number to a person who engages in credit card fraud.

What is the best strategy for the customer to deal with this risk?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,033 • Replies: 6

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:09 am
@gollum,

pay by cash...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:15 am
Ask the server to bring the reader to you, if it is portable, or if it is a wired reader, go with the server to the till, and watch. This is not being paranoid, just careful. If they make a fuss, stand your ground, and don't go there again except with cash. Or not at all, depending on how you feel.

mark noble

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
@gollum,
Don't go to restaurants.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 10:36 am
@contrex,
contrex-

Thank you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 06:31 pm
Why do you single out restaurants? The cashier could do this at any place where they handle your card or enter the 3 digit number.
gollum

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 06:55 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY-

Thank you. Good point.

However generally to my experience, it is in the higher-priced restaurants that the check is handed to the customer within a "jacket." The diner is expected to put his credit/debit card in a little pocket within this jacket. The server then takes the card to I think a non-public area of the restaurant where the card reader is located.

To my experience or to my memory, most other retailers run the card through the reader in front of the customer or allow the customer to run it himself.
0 Replies