And Mr. B said "Let there be light fixtures."

boomerang

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:52 pm
It's not that I don't want low hanging lights, it's that I can't have low hanging lights -- the ceilings are very low.

Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't adjust the length of the light.

I found some ceiling fans that I absolutely craved but the stem could not be adjusted and the fans would have hung too low. Attempting to modify them on your own invalidates any warantees.

The problem is that what I like and what will work in the room based on room size and what the room is used for are two different things.

Wall lights won't work either. There isn't 4' of continuous wall space anywhere in the room, those walls are heavy traffic areas where lights would be bumped into all the time. They would have to be mounted in ways that would be very lopsided looking. Plus, they don't address the "task" needs that I have.

I'm still stumped.

I want something different, a bit unexpected, but function is a real priority. The dining room is constantly in use -- and for much more than just eating.
CalamityJane

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:57 pm
How about this one?
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/3/L11493165.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Memories -
In my 1913 house (well, dates vary, it was listed when we bought it at 1906) I put the chandelier from my parent's house (1940's but clearly someone's transferred chandelier - warm colored glass but with four bulbs) in the dining room. The ceilings in that one weren't as high as in the 1923 house. If I remember right, the ceilings there were 8'3", and the chandelier on a short stick was fine, as far as getting along with the light, though it might have been a design mortal sin. There were also turn on side lights (those little flame bulbs, with leaves enwrapping the coil for the bulb..) Those were more in the 1923.. and I'm confused if they were there in the 1913 - I think without reviewing pics that there were one or two.. certainly at the pillars. Well, craftsman, in the first. Intermediate architecture in the second, including colonial revival.

How high are your ceilings, Boom? (my present hallway is squat).

0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:03 pm
@boomerang,
Four feet, how about three..

This is all dealing with unknowns until we know your ceiling height.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:03 pm
Is this too big?
http://www.instablogsgallery.com/gallery/2008/03/28/meyda-tiffany-chandelier-2_52.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
@boomerang,
Stems can be adjusted... can't they? It's hard to believe they can't. Push it.
CalamityJane

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
Ballard Design has nice ones too....very nice ones actually!
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Lighting/Ceiling-Lights/c/1527?path=1%2C2%2C1467%2C1527

I like this one
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3074/picture1lr.png
ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I just don't believe an electrician can't do that.
tsarstepan

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
My best friend, Marietta, used to adore all things Ballard Design.

Now that's a classy ceiling light CJ.
ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
ok, even I like it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:10 pm
Yeah right? I like that one a lot too...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
But wait, how does the light affect the eyes of the person doing homework at the table?

I have a bias against fixtures that show this bulb from space kind of thing.. instead of restful but adequate light. I'll back off if these work in action..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:31 am
I got the perfect ceiling light!

http://www.las-vegas-concerts.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/phantom_04.jpg
The chandelier from The Phantom of the Opera musical!

Perfect for doing homework underneath. The student must stay awake, alert, and ever vigilante as one day this chandelier might come crashing down!
0 Replies

Eva

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:48 am
I'm sorry, I don't understand. This is for the dining room, right? Ceiling fixtures over dining room tables are usually hung low...about 36" from tabletop height, sometimes less.
boomerang

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:24 am
@Eva,
The light is centered on the ceiling but the table can't be centered in the room so anything too low will get a head bumping from anyone sitting in a certain chair.

It's crazy. I know. Seriously, it's complicated.

sozobe

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
@boomerang,
Can't the light be centered over the table? It'd take some wiring fanciness I know but seems doable...
0 Replies

Eva

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:25 am
It could be even simpler than that. Just put a hook in the ceiling over the center of the table, then swag the chain over to the hook. Voila! No rewiring! We've used this method in several places. It would probably work best with one of your "organic" designs.
sozobe

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:30 am
@Eva,
Good point!
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:35 am
@Eva,
Now there's an idea!

I'm going to run that past Mr. B......
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:12 pm
@boomerang,
You need a flush mount fixture that's more ideally used in a low entryway. Lightolier used to have some really nice one's, incorporating crystal cubes around each small lamp. Otherwise, you're into recessed which have to be installed by an electrician with Romex from an existing switch or a custom switch. Depending on your area, likely a $ 300.00 plus job not including materials. Recessed fixtures are cheap enough unless you want something like an alabaster cover than hangs down from the ceiling about two inches.
0 Replies