Even some scientists give lip service to fairy tales.

Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:23 am
@farmerman,
It takes a separate process to make lead from hydrogen. Therefore it is more complex by that measure alone.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:17 am
@Ionus,
Thats not an example of ?Complexity" its an example of a process we understand had taken place sevral Billion years ago when a subsequent fusion event created all elements > than 40 at. wt. A lesser amount of lead 210 -> 207 is created by nuclear fission.Hardly complexity on parade.(One is a process of the ARchean and the other is an example of entropic decay)

Complexity presumes an ongoing process the way youve been using it.(Youre term was "undeniably increasing complexity " When something is complex(like a boulangerite crystal lattice), it had occured in the past, in the present, and will probably do it in the future. However, these lattices arent any different today than yesteryear, so theres no "increasing anything"

Youre use of the term is one that, its nice to pay some recognition to and to use that as an example of some kind of cosmic interference by an intelligent being. However, if ya cant be certain of any examples of what youre saying, its difficult to back up your claim. (So far youve just been delving into broad generalities)

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:56 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Damn ! I should have seen that coming....

Yes, but you dove into it anyway, very commendable Smile

It seems to me that your definition of complexity would imply that a Helium atom is more complex than a Hydrogen atom by virtue of having more interacting particles. But if that's the case, is your definition of complexity simply a numeric accumulation?

I haven't asked the next implied question yet, which is your definition of "information".

Suppose an organism which was already at one level of complexity were to evolve into something with fewer active genes in its DNA, or fewer chromosomes, would that organism then be more complex than its predecessor or less complex? And if you relate the definition of complexity not only to the number of components, but also the interaction of those components with the environment then you would need to add information theory to the definition of complexity. And that gets complex. Smile
BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:28 pm
@Ionus,
I have no idea William, how does it ? I never said it does..why dont I make stuff up and ask you to explain that
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then why did you bring it up to me concerning scientists giving lip service to religions?

If you are not claiming that there is some connection with religion one way or another how or why are we going down this road on this thread?
Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:37 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It seems to me that your definition of complexity would imply that a Helium atom is more complex than a Hydrogen atom by virtue of having more interacting particles. But if that's the case, is your definition of complexity simply a numeric accumulation?
Examine the orbits of electrons. The pattern changes as the number of orbits increases. The atoms reaction to input and output of energy is different according to the number of electrons. Its weight is different by the number of protons (and neutrons), its reactions to other atoms is different. If we had just hydrogen alone, then fine, but now we have others. Of course variety makes for greater complexity.

Quote:
I haven't asked the next implied question yet, which is your definition of "information".
Information is a container for instructions/proecedures on how, when, where, what, why and who.

Quote:
Suppose an organism which was already at one level of complexity were to evolve into something with fewer active genes in its DNA
I choose not to answer this question because it has never happened. It is very unlikely to happen. To me, it is the equivalent of saying lets suppose the complex was simple.

If something has more individual components that increase the number of reactions both internally and externally than it is more complex regardless of being made of the same stuff or not.
Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:16 pm
@BillRM,
Patience.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Thats not an example of ?Complexity" its an example of a process
I am having a lot of trouble understanding your position. A process is a complication. Why doesnt the universe just consist of hydrogen ?

Quote:
if ya cant be certain of any examples of what youre saying, its difficult to back up your claim
This is a process involving the forest. If you argue that I havent quoted trees, then we will have to part disagreeing.

Previously, there was some disagreement on my claims about DNA and the brain. I refer you to :
The Dragons of Eden, by Carl Sagan, Book Club Associates, 1978 Ed, Pg 26
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:34 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I choose not to answer this question because it has never happened. It is very unlikely to happen.

Quote:
A more recently discovered and less well-known aspect of genome evolution in bacteria is gene loss, in which entire chunks of the genome are deleted. "A region of a hundred genes or ten genes may have been lost [at a time]... these big deletions occur all the time," Ochman states.

Whereas gene acquisition can be beneficial, gene loss is usually catastrophic. However, in host-inhabiting bacteria, the protection of the host environment may allow the bacteria to survive such a loss.

"If you're a free-living organism, you lose a certain gene, if it's essential, you're dead. But if it's something that's not essential," for example a gene for the production of a nutrient you can get from your host, bacteria can keep living and reproducing after the loss, but they can never perform that function again. Further, because they are imprisoned within the host, they may have little opportunity to gain the genes back from other bacteria by swapping genes.

"Most people think that bacteria only have tiny genomes so they can replicate faster," Ochman says. Instead, a reduced genome may be a negative side effect in bacteria living as obligate insiders. Such bacteria have small populations, and because natural selection is weaker in small populations than in large ones, harmful mutations leading to gene loss can accumulate, whereas such mutations would be weeded out in a larger, free-living population.

"You're not getting smaller because it helps you replicate faster, you're getting smaller because things get knocked out, and are eroded away, due to your population structure," Ochman emphasizes.

Source: http://www.unisci.com/stories/20012/0511012.htm

If Bacteria are adapting to a new environment (by becoming parasites) and losing genes in the process, then they are becoming more well adapted by being less complex (using your definition of complexity).

And in the case of larger animals, even if genes themselves are not lost, they often become inactive, which means that the overall "formula" for the organism may be less complex than its predecessor (although more tightly adapted for its environment).
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:40 pm
@rosborne979,
Further reading on Gene Loss: http://www.corante.com/loom/archives/000927.html
Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 10:17 pm
@rosborne979,
Hey, I like debating with you ! You are teaching me without telling me my opinion is bullshit. I have been wrong in how I thought genes did not lose code. I always thought they simply grew more and kept redundancies. Thinking about it, that may be how viruses came about. But I still maintain my overall point of view. The fact that there is an extra process that removes genes I believe supports increased complexity. Wouldnt it be simpler not to have such a process ? As for information storage, the trend is still there as it involves every living thing.
BillRM

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:44 am
@Ionus,
Why doesnt the universe just consist of hydrogen ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kind of a meanless question as why should it just consist of only hydrogen is just as valid a comment/question.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:37 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

rosborne979,
Hey, I like debating with you ! You are teaching me without telling me my opinion is bullshit. I have been wrong in how I thought genes did not lose code. I always thought they simply grew more and kept redundancies. Thinking about it, that may be how viruses came about. But I still maintain my overall point of view. The fact that there is an extra process that removes genes I believe supports increased complexity. Wouldnt it be simpler not to have such a process ? As for information storage, the trend is still there as it involves every living thing.

Rosborne is a great person to learn from, Ionus, but so is farmerman. Some of us don't understand why you are so enamored with the concept of "increasing complexity".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:02 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Hey, I like debating with you ! You are teaching me without telling me my opinion is bullshit.

That's because I'm not sure it is bullshit. The subject of complexity is highly debatable, if for no other reason than the definition is slippery. That first article I posted is very long, but covers a lot of ground on the subject. And that thread I started is years old, so this question has been floating around for a long time.

However, I would like to state clearly that even if I believed in increasing complexity, that in no way implies that the process is being driven by any godlike intervention, but rather by basic laws of physics.

At the moment, I'm just glad that we seem to be having an actual discussion of an interesting scientific topic. Lately most threads seem to be political rants or spendi bashing freeforalls.

This is the article I linked before. It's long, but well written and contains some great analogies: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/papers/ComplexityGrowth.html
Ionus

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 07:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
However, I would like to state clearly that even if I believed in increasing complexity, that in no way implies that the process is being driven by any godlike intervention, but rather by basic laws of physics.
And I will take the opportunity to state clearly that I dont believe it is a basic Law of Physics. It may be something in the nature of dimensions colliding, and this is the result of increasing intermeshing.
I regret I had to quickly read it before, but as you went to the trouble to show me it again, I will take much longer to read it. Unfortunately I have to go out soon. Perhaps by the time of my next post I will be able to soundly thrash you with it Very Happy or not....possibly not.
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:29 am
@Ionus,
It may be something in the nature of dimensions colliding, and this is the result of increasing intermeshing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ionus the above with all due respect sound like complete meaningless nonsense.

Dimensions colliding and intermeshing?

Not part of any theory that I am aware of to start with.

Would you care to put those comments in some content that is more then just words sounds?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:15 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
And I will take the opportunity to state clearly that I dont believe it is a basic Law of Physics.

Perhaps I should have said that I don't think the root causes of what we see around us are in any way supernatural. I think that the structure of the Universe is such that what we see around us arises naturally and is an expression of the Universe itself.
Ionus wrote:
It may be something in the nature of dimensions colliding, and this is the result of increasing intermeshing.

Maybe. Or maybe not. But at least it sounds like we agree that if there is an increase in complexity happening, that it's a result of natural causes and not supernatural intervention.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:16 am
@rosborne979,
I used to have a neurosis but the DSM suggested I only have a complex so I bought Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky, and I'm a better person for it. Coincidence? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@BillRM,
Dimensions colliding is one considered possibility for the origin of the Big Bang.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:36 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Dimensions colliding is one considered possibility for the origin of the Big Bang.

M-Branes are still pure speculation. Even String Theory looks solid in comparison and its still considered potentially untestable (and therefor invalid scientifically).
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Perhaps I should have said that I don't think the root causes of what we see around us are in any way supernatural. I think that the structure of the Universe is such that what we see around us arises naturally and is an expression of the Universe itself.
I agree. Evolution in the broader meaning then just Biology, is responsible for the universe we see. But if time means nothing to God, why is it impossible for a Creator to have started the Big Bang ?

To me, the Bible is of great historical interest not least of which reasons is its attempt to explain things in an era without science. By comparison with other religions, it does a pretty good job of it. It should also be valued for its moral instructions rather than the Ten Commandments and their supporting laws, although by themselves the Commandments are quite reasonable.