0
   

Star Trek MMORPG!

 
 
oralloy
 
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 04:45 pm
Star Trek MMORPG coming in February 2010!

http://www.startrekonline.com

http://stowiki.org

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,605 • Replies: 29

 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
Here are a list of developer chats that describe how the game is shaping up.

Note that the first time you click a link to the STO site you get redirected to an entry page, no matter what you are linking. If you open the link a second time you go to the correct page. You only have to deal with that nonsense once per browser session, but it does happen *each* browser session.

I'm going to start with the older and more general chats and end with the more recent and detailed chats.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/85

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/90

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/95

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/105

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/115

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/144

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/158

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/176

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/197

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/237

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=21819

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/294

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=22403

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=23065

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/316

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=23726

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/326

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/336

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=24490

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/363

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/396

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/397

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=26979

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=28190

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/453

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/491
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
On the Federation side, it looks like they are planning to offer one model that is faithful to Star Trek canon for each level and role, and a couple offshoots of the canon model.

Based on the names on this page (LINK remember your first try at that link may redirect to an entry page) these are the canon models they are offering:


Level 1: Miranda class


Federation warships:

5 Prometheus class
4 Defiant class
3 Akira class
2 Saber class


Federation science ships:

5 Luna class
4 Intrepid class (Voyager)
3 Olympic class
2 Nova class


Federation cruisers:

5 Sovereign class (Enterprise E)
4 Galaxy class (Enterprise D)
3 Constellation class (Picard maneuver)
2 Constitution class (Kirk's Enterprise, movie version)


There is a notable exception to this however.

Gamestop says this on their STO preorder page:

"Reserve Star Trek Online and receive a GameStop exclusive in-game Starfleet Constitution Class Starship. This unique, upgradable starship comes equipped with blue phasers and an extra engineering station mod slot. Available online and in-store while supplies last."

Based on the picture included (LINK), it is going to based on Kirk's Enterprise from The Original Series.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:20 pm
@oralloy,
I've heard only speculation on the game. What? Do you pick an ensign assigned to a department: Science; medical; security; or engineering?

<<Nevermind>>
It looks like science, tactical, and engineering. First disappointment though very minor.

As for the aliens?
Humans
Vulcans
Tellarites
Ferengi
Andorians?

Is it some kind of timeline thingy the Bajorans aren't a playable race?

I'd probably choose Vulcan or human.
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:11 pm
@oralloy,
Yeah, they may finally have found a MMORPG game I'm interested in. I signed up for the beta a couple of weeks ago; we'll see how that goes.

I haven't found information on how much the monthly subscription is, though.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I've heard only speculation on the game. What? Do you pick an ensign assigned to a department: Science; medical; security; or engineering?


Your main career will be "starship captain". Your specialty will be more of a secondary nature. Your advancement in rank just means you get to captain larger and more powerful ships.



tsarstepan wrote:
I've heard only speculation on the game. What? Do you pick an ensign assigned to a department: Science; medical; security; or engineering?

<<Nevermind>>
It looks like science, tactical, and engineering. First disappointment though very minor.


Your role selection will mainly be a factor on the ground on away missions (although even here you will be able to select bridge officers with other specialties as part of your away team).

Since starships would be crewed by people with many different specialties if this were real life, you will be able to build all three specialties into your ship's space abilities if you choose to spend your resources that way.

Also, your ship class is not locked to your character's career. For example you could make your captain a tactical officer, but then choose to fly science ships. If you want to spend the resources, you can open up all three branches of ships for your character.

The science branch includes both "medical" and "science".




tsarstepan wrote:
As for the aliens?
Humans
Vulcans
Tellarites
Ferengi
Andorians?

Is it some kind of timeline thingy the Bajorans aren't a playable race?


Federation faction:

Human
Vulcan
Bajoran
Andorian
Ferengi
Tellarite



Klingon faction:

Klingon
Gorn
Nausicaan
Orion



The Klingon faction and the Federation faction will not be mirror images of each other.

After you advance so far in the Federation, you unlock the ability to create a Klingon-faction captain.

Klingons will be more focused on PVP (both among themselves and against the Federation) while the Federation will mix PVP against Klingons with PVE throughout the galaxy.

You will be allowed to play Klingon and Federation on the same server, although you won't be able to log onto both characters simultaneously.

Klingon ship progression is also different from the Federation.




tsarstepan wrote:
some kind of timeline thingy


The game presumes that time-travel in the last movie was not just time-travel, but also a jump to a parallel universe.

So the events at the beginning of the movie like the destruction of the Romulan homeworlds occurred, but when Spock and the Romulan bad guy went back in time, they did not show up in the past (and were presumed killed in the disaster). This also means that Vulcan was not destroyed in the past.

The game occurs a few decades after the destruction of the Romulan homeworlds and the presumed death of Spock.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:35 pm
@oralloy,
That's a big letdown.
Quote:
Your main career will be "starship captain."

I would have liked starting from the beginning (say even the Academy) then progressing to the captains seat. At this point, I really don't have much interest in partaking in the game. I'll keep an eye out on the reviews but as of now ... pretty disappointing.


I have no interest in playing anybody on the Klingon side. I found that sideline of the Star Trek series they made the dullest stories of every single Star Trek series.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
There is a notable exception to this however.

Gamestop says this on their STO preorder page:

"Reserve Star Trek Online and receive a GameStop exclusive in-game Starfleet Constitution Class Starship. This unique, upgradable starship comes equipped with blue phasers and an extra engineering station mod slot. Available online and in-store while supplies last."

Based on the picture included (LINK), it is going to based on Kirk's Enterprise from The Original Series.


Since I mentioned that, I suppose I should mention the others.

Amazon's offer:
"Pre-order Star Trek Online and receive access to the open beta (dates not yet announced) and an Amazon.com exclusive Borg Bridge Officer. Beta access codes will be e-mailed out prior to the start of the open beta. Borg officer codes will be located inside the box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer."

Picture of Borg Bridge Officer: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/STO_Borg_Officer.jpg


Best Buy in-store preorders offer a targ OR a tribble pet (note that's "or" -- not "and").

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00133.jpg
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00139.jpg

Presumably if you choose targ it goes to your Klingon captain and if you choose tribble it goes to your Federation captain, but there hasn't been any clarification. There is no indication if this extends to Best Buy's online preorders.


You are supposed to be allowed to buy preorders from all three and then combine them into one account with all three bonus items. However if a preorder is used to add a bonus to an existing account it can't then be used to create a new account.


Also a limited run of the Blu Ray version of The Original Series season three that is coming out mid December is going to come with a special code that will give your Starfleet captain a Wrath of Khan era admiral's jacket.


(They really know how to market this game to milk every last cent from our wallets......)

------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned earlier, Klingon ship progression will be a bit different from the Federation.

Birds of Prey range from levels 1 to 5 (the level 1 version is your Klingon starting ship).

Raptors range from levels 2 to 5.

Heavy cruisers range from 3 to 5.

The level 3 heavy cruiser is the K't'inga class

The level 4 heavy cruiser is the Vor'cha class

The level 5 heavy cruiser is the Negh'Var class

And also at level 5 will be an option for a ship not in the Star Trek canon: the Vo'Quv class (that's a STO link so your first attempt may redirect to an entry page).

I suspect (but don't actually know) that the Vo'Quv class is an attempt to give the Klingons science ship abilities in a manner that would fit the Klingon storyline. While the description focuses on lots of martial belligerence, some of the features of the ship seem to duplicate features of Federation science ships.

As with the Federation you can spend the resources to open every ship class to your character.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:09 am
@oralloy,
The Borg sounds like a more intriguing villain to fight and/or play as then any of the Klingon allies.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Well I submitted my beta application. Neutral
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  2  
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:11 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
The Borg sounds like a more intriguing villain to fight and/or play as then any of the Klingon allies.


It might be hard to play.

You receive a command from the collective. You follow the command to the letter.
You receive a command from the collective. You follow the command to the letter.
You receive a command from the collective.....

The Borg will definitely be one of the major PVE adversaries in the game however.

The Romulans will also be a big threat. Their homeworlds may have been destroyed, but they have a big empire with many survivors.

And they are also going to have Species 8472 start popping out of fluidic space over in Cardassian territory.


The "starship tactics developer video" trailer shows a Constitution class (in fact, based on the registry number, the Constitution herself) tanking a Borg cube at the end.

That trailer also gives an outstanding view of what space combat will look like (and it looks really good). It is a massive download though -- 188 megs.

You can get the "starship tactics developer video" trailer here:

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/star-trek-online/pc
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@oralloy,
Species 8472 is a new race of aliens to me. Sounds like a very intriguing addition to it all.
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Also a limited run of the Blu Ray version of The Original Series season three that is coming out mid December is going to come with a special code that will give your Starfleet captain a Wrath of Khan era admiral's jacket.


(They really know how to market this game to milk every last cent from our wallets......)


I was trying to sort out conflicting info I found regarding whether the admiral's jacket comes with the Blu Ray box set of all three seasons of The Original Series, or with the Blu Ray season 3 set (or both), and I came across this tidbit from an official source:

"Hey guys, just an FYI - the jacket you get in the box will be from the Wrath of Khan. The 2409 Admiral's jacket is still an unlockable game piece."

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=795014

So apparently you get a physical Khan-era jacket in real life, and the jacket your character gets will be a modern design (presuming I understood correctly).

I never did sort out for sure whether the offer comes with the three season box set or with season 3 alone. The offer is mentioned here though:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Seasons-2-and-3/12728



oralloy wrote:
The "starship tactics developer video" trailer shows a Constitution class (in fact, based on the registry number, the Constitution herself) tanking a Borg cube at the end.

That trailer also gives an outstanding view of what space combat will look like (and it looks really good). It is a massive download though -- 188 megs.

You can get the "starship tactics developer video" trailer here:

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/star-trek-online/pc


In that video they show a clip where a Federation Akira class warship is hammering on a big (probably tier 5) Bird of Prey. At first it seems unconcerned, but then the Akira class shoots some weapon out the back that expands to a big energy "X". You only see the weapon for a split second because the camera is focussed on the Klingon ship, which suddenly decides it has pressing business somewhere else. But then a huge missile comes from the direction of the Akira class and rocks the Klingons with a huge explosion. Didn't destroy them, but it looked like it probably did some damage..... Cool
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There is a notable exception to this however.

Gamestop says this on their STO preorder page:

"Reserve Star Trek Online and receive a GameStop exclusive in-game Starfleet Constitution Class Starship. This unique, upgradable starship comes equipped with blue phasers and an extra engineering station mod slot. Available online and in-store while supplies last."

Based on the picture included (LINK), it is going to based on Kirk's Enterprise from The Original Series.


Since I mentioned that, I suppose I should mention the others.

Amazon's offer:
"Pre-order Star Trek Online and receive access to the open beta (dates not yet announced) and an Amazon.com exclusive Borg Bridge Officer. Beta access codes will be e-mailed out prior to the start of the open beta. Borg officer codes will be located inside the box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer."

Picture of Borg Bridge Officer: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/STO_Borg_Officer.jpg


Best Buy in-store preorders offer a targ OR a tribble pet (note that's "or" -- not "and").

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00133.jpg
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00139.jpg

Presumably if you choose targ it goes to your Klingon captain and if you choose tribble it goes to your Federation captain, but there hasn't been any clarification. There is no indication if this extends to Best Buy's online preorders.


You are supposed to be allowed to buy preorders from all three and then combine them into one account with all three bonus items. However if a preorder is used to add a bonus to an existing account it can't then be used to create a new account.


Also a limited run of the Blu Ray version of The Original Series season three that is coming out mid December is going to come with a special code that will give your Starfleet captain a Wrath of Khan era admiral's jacket.


(They really know how to market this game to milk every last cent from our wallets......)


Update: Best Buy is online with their pre-order bonus now.

Their on-line language implies you may get both the Targ and the Tribble -- one for your Starfleet captain and one for your Klingon captain -- instead of having to choose one or the other.

"Play as the Klingons, and you'll get a Targ; play as the Federation, and you'll get a tribble!"

Picture of Targ and Tribble:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2009/tg/cat/br_startrekonline_091122.jpg
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Species 8472 is a new race of aliens to me. Sounds like a very intriguing addition to it all.


If you didn't watch Deep Space 9, you might want to catch up on the Dominion and their Jem'Hadar warriors, and the big war that the Federation fought with them.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation-Dominion_Cold_War
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dominion_War
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 12:42 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There is a notable exception to this however.

Gamestop says this on their STO preorder page:

"Reserve Star Trek Online and receive a GameStop exclusive in-game Starfleet Constitution Class Starship. This unique, upgradable starship comes equipped with blue phasers and an extra engineering station mod slot. Available online and in-store while supplies last."

Based on the picture included (LINK), it is going to based on Kirk's Enterprise from The Original Series.


Since I mentioned that, I suppose I should mention the others.

Amazon's offer:
"Pre-order Star Trek Online and receive access to the open beta (dates not yet announced) and an Amazon.com exclusive Borg Bridge Officer. Beta access codes will be e-mailed out prior to the start of the open beta. Borg officer codes will be located inside the box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer."

Picture of Borg Bridge Officer:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/STO_Borg_Officer.jpg


Best Buy in-store preorders offer a targ OR a tribble pet (note that's "or" -- not "and").

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00133.jpg
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Jnaathra/STO/DSC00139.jpg

Presumably if you choose targ it goes to your Klingon captain and if you choose tribble it goes to your Federation captain, but there hasn't been any clarification. There is no indication if this extends to Best Buy's online preorders.


You are supposed to be allowed to buy preorders from all three and then combine them into one account with all three bonus items. However if a preorder is used to add a bonus to an existing account it can't then be used to create a new account.


Also a limited run of the Blu Ray version of The Original Series season three that is coming out mid December is going to come with a special code that will give your Starfleet captain a Wrath of Khan era admiral's jacket.


(They really know how to market this game to milk every last cent from our wallets......)


Update: Best Buy is online with their pre-order bonus now.

Their on-line language implies you may get both the Targ and the Tribble -- one for your Starfleet captain and one for your Klingon captain -- instead of having to choose one or the other.

"Play as the Klingons, and you'll get a Targ; play as the Federation, and you'll get a tribble!"

Picture of Targ and Tribble:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2009/tg/cat/br_startrekonline_091122.jpg



Collector's edition extras:

* Deluxe Packaging: Futuristic 3dX holography set in a high quality brushed aluminum finish. Heavy duty construction with magnetic closures and nested compartments for all components.
* Deluxe Manual: High end, hardbound, art book, manual, and disc case in a single, elegant package. “HD Printing” on over 40 glossy pages of exclusive art from the Star Trek Online Universe.
* Communicator Badge: High quality cast metal design based on the in-game badge model. Fully 3d Sculpted with recessed burst and curved contours.
* Guest Passes: Credit card style buddy passes to invite three of your friends for a three day trial of Star Trek Online.
* Red Matter Capacitor: A unique item that charges up and delivers extra energy to all of your ship’s equipment for a short time. A device that, when used, gives you a small bump in energy, has a long recharge.
* Next Generation Uniform: Uniform Options from and the Next Generation. The timeless look worn by Picard, Data and Riker.
* “Deep Space Nine” Uniform: Uniform Options from the “Deep Space Nine” Series. Grey shoulders, on a black uniform, just like Sisko, Worf and Dax.


http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/STOL_CE_contentsLG.jpg


(Also note the post I quoted above about the "Wrath of Khan era" admiral's jacket was an older post in the thread with incorrect info. The admiral's jacket you get with the Blu Ray set of The Original Series is from the time the game is set in. One of my subsequent posts clarified that.)
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
Finally some *official* preorder bonus info!

And for Europe too -- not just the US.


A general FAQ:
http://www.startrekonline.com/preorder-faq

A description of the various goodies (without telling where you get what goody):
http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusives

A list of what retailers provide what bonus goodies (note you have to click the word "details" for each vendor):
http://www.startrekonline.com/retail
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
Hey, I don't feel like clicking links. I know what RPG means, what's MMO?
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:08 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Hey, I don't feel like clicking links. I know what RPG means, what's MMO?


Massively Multiplayer Online

I think it would be better if you had to start out in the Academy and work your way up Laughing

More respect for the Prime Directive that way.

Cycloptichorn
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Aw too bad, that makes it less fun for me..... Thanks for the info, DJ.
 

Related Topics

What game are you playing? - Discussion by Seed
World Of Warcraft - Discussion by lazymon
Call of Duty4: Modern Warfare 2 - Discussion by tsarstepan
Spore - Discussion by maporsche
PC Gaming - Discussion by quinn1
Worst video game ever? - Discussion by tsarstepan
skate 2 or skate 3 - Question by kent0111
call of duty black ops - Question by stevencole90
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Star Trek MMORPG!
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/18/2019 at 04:42:58