Thrown together in a flash, requiring little or no cooking ....

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's looks just about as simple to prepare as it gets, Jane!
I'm going to make it - but just 1/2 the quantity.
Thanks, again!

A question to anyone. If one is not really keen on Sage (though I'm prepared to give it another go, if need be) what would be a good substitute herb or flavouring for Jane's recipe?
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:32 pm
@msolga,
You can leave it out altogether, MsOlga - with or without sage it tastes good.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
OK then. I was just a bit concerned that it might be like something was missing, taste-wise, Jane.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:24 pm
from an article on American chefs who've lost a lot of weight recently - a recipe from Alton Brown involving sardines (big shout out to OssoB here) and avocados

Sherried Sardine Toast

Quote:
Sherried Sardine Toast
This is something I might eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is critical that the sardines be bristling (small) and that they be packed in oil. Smoked is okay too.

•1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
•¼ tsp fresh lemon zest, reserve the lemon
•2 tbsp fine chopped Italian parsley, divided
•Two tins 2-layer bristling sardines in olive oil
•Several grinds of pepper
•4 (½-inch ) slices of good crusty bread, anything from rye to sourdough
•1 ripe haas avocado
•Several grinds of pepper
•Coarse sea salt

Heat your oven to high broil.

Place the vinegar into a bowl along with the zest, half the parsley, and the pepper. Open the tins slightly, and drain the oil from the sardines into the bowl and whisk to combine. Set each slice of bread into the dressing so that one side is well coated.

When all are coated, place on a rack set in a half sheet pan and toast 3 inches from the broiler until golden brown and delicious.

Pit the avocado and spoon out the flesh...smear it on the toasted bread like butter and top with the sardines, using the tines of a fork to really mash it into the bread. Pour any remaining dressing over the sardines, sprinkle with the remaining parsley

Top with sea salt.

Devour.

Brush teeth.

I need to pick up some parsley - the rest we've got on hand.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
@ehBeth,
link to the little article

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1945362-1,00.html

the link to the recipes is on the second page of article

(there's also a link to What the World Eats, Part III on the first page of the article)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
mmmhhh, that sounds so good, ehbeth!
I also have all the ingredients at home - except italian parsley, but I have cilantro
which should be just as good. I'll try that tomorrow as we had dinner already.
Oh wait, we have anchovies at home ....hm, should work too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:38 pm
@ehBeth,
That sounds good, ehBeth. Easy to prepare & very tasty. (I like the combination of avocado & sardines!)

But darned if I'm going to buy another flavoured vinegar! Do you think a few, very frugal drops of sherry, plus one of my many vinegars, would adequately do the trick?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:43 pm
@msolga,
I was going to use some truffle or champagne vinegar, MsO. I'm trying to work through some of the 'fancy' oils and vinegars that seem to have accumulated in this tiny kitchen.

(ok, it's not tiny - there's lots of floor space - just no counter space or cupboard space)
msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth.

Now I feel I can be creative without extra cost! Very Happy

On the subject of all those bottle & jars cluttering up your kitchen (Tell me something! Rolling Eyes ) do you ever use Verjuice in your cooking? Or perhaps it's just some Oz thing?

Did you say truffle or champagne vinegar? Hmmmmm ... I suppose I could squeeze one of those in! Wink
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:56 pm
@msolga,
I've never seen it (had to google it to find out what it is).

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry?id=5087

Quote:
verjuice
[VER-joos, Fr , . vehr-ZHOO]
An acidic, sour liquid made from unripe fruit, primarily grapes. Verjuice is used in preparations like sauces and mustards to heighten flavor, much as lemon juice or vinegar would be employed. Not widely used since medieval and Renaissance times, verjuice is now enjoying a comeback in many dishes. Though it is occasionally available in specialty gourmet shops, verjuice is extremely difficult to find in the United States.

If I see it on sale in a fancy shop I'd be tempted to pick some up - though I shouldn't - I AM trying to tidy up that particular corner of my kitchen life.

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:02 pm
@ehBeth,
It has been flogged (to death almost!) by the epicure/cooking "experts" in these parts, ehBeth! So naturally I have some of it, too! Wink

Quote:
If I see it on sale in a fancy shop I'd be tempted to pick some up - though I shouldn't - I AM trying to tidy up that particular corner of my kitchen life.

Well good luck with that!
Tell me how you go with it, to inspire me!
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:29 pm
@msolga,
to fill your kitchen cupboard with ancient herbs and spices ... ...

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/elizabethan.html

Quote:
Verjuice Verjuice is the acidic juice pressed from unripe fruit, primarily grapes, but also other sour fruit such as green apples, crab apples, cooking apples and even plums. The name derives from the Old French 'vertjus' meaning 'green juice' and was common in Medieval and Elizabethan cookery. These days verjuice can be bought commercially, but one part cider vinegar, one part water with a dash of lemon and lime juice also makes an acceptable substitute.
0 Replies