The ugliness and horror of interviewing

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:32 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

And don't forget the age old adage... If you can't impress them with intelligence then baffle them with bullshit.

There's just one problem with that. Do you really want to work somewhere that can be baffled with bullshit? Think about it.
JPB

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@Eva,
i was kidding
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:38 pm
i knew that....but some people don't.

I've worked for places that couldn't tell the difference between intelligence and bullshit. It's always a train wreck.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:51 am
@Sglass,
Financial services
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:52 am
@tsarstepan,
No, I did not plan on it. I would not take points away especially from stuttering - that other stuff just added on to his lack of appropriate answers to my questions.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I also do well in interviews.

Some big tips from being on both sides - be prepared - already have the answers for typical interview questions. Know as much as possible about the company and the job. When answering questions, give specific examples to support your answers. For example if you say you are organized then state an example in your past experience that proves you are organized. Anyone can say they have a certain trait, but if you support it with actual real life examples you provide proof. Tell the interviewer you are interested in the position. This is a good conclusion type of thing. I really like what you have said about your company and the position. I would like you to know I am very interested. Have good pertaintent questions prepared - I even bring a written list of them with me. And follow up with a quick letter - email is fine now and is quicker just giving a good short thank you for their time and to re-enforce your interest and qualities.
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:04 pm
@chai2,
Unfortunately I'm not chosing and I'm not setting up the times - my boss is selecting and Staffing is setting up the times where ever I have available time. Isn't helpful as they scheduled 3 in one day.

Some good pointers - I agree about not putting them on the hot seat. I try to make them comfortable as much as possible. I mean my goal is to get the best person - why would it be beneficial to make them uncomfortable? I'd rather for them to be as comfortable as possible so I can get the most honest answers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:04 pm
@Linkat,
With all this good advice (thank you everyone), all I need is an actual interview or two to put it into practice. Confused
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:05 pm
@Sglass,
No - this is a couple of levels below me

Wait maybe I really am crappy at my job....
0 Replies