2012: What's your plan?

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 06:31 am
Saw the trailer for the movie yesterday.

They have the aircraft carrier, USS John F. Kennedy, being blown into the White House by a tsunami.
Rolling Eyes
Joe(What passes for irony in Hollywood)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:49 am
My favorite take on this so far:
Quote:
November 14, 2009
Op-Ed Columnist
Once Again, Into the Apocalypse
By GAIL COLLINS
A lot of people are worrying about the world coming to an end in 2012.

Bummer. I thought we’d gotten over all that in 2000.

The question of whether the End of Time will arrive during the holiday shopping season three years hence is already the subject of a veritable library of books. We also have what “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to 2012” claims are almost 600,000 Web sites devoted to worrying about it.

This seems to be the fault of Nostradamus, the Mayan calendar, angst on the left about global warming and angst on the right about the election of Barack Obama. Or the health care bill. Or government bailouts. Or the repositioning of “In God We Trust” on the nation’s coinage.

Really, for ultraconservatives, the last year has been one sign of the apocalypse after the other. Soon, the rivers will run red with Starbucks Raspberry-Flavored Tazo Passion Shaken Iced Tea. Owls will give birth to two-headed frogs who shriek the lyrics to Lady Gaga songs.

Hollywood is unleashing a raft of movies about humanity tottering on the edge of extinction. In “2012,” a G-8 summit convenes to discuss the fact that “the world as we know it will soon come to an end.” Actually, I would not be surprised if the participants found this preferable to another round of the Doha trade talks.

The film characters who are best prepared for the planetary calamity had been consulting the ancient Mayan calendar, which runs through more than five millennia and then comes screeching to a halt on Dec. 21, 2012. Some say that for the Mayans, this was just the end of a cycle, like completing a really long year, and that if they’d been able to hang around for a few more centuries they’d simply have issued a new, post-2012 calendar, this time perhaps including some nice pictures of puppies.

Others see more dire forces at work. In “2012,” the crust of the earth starts bouncing around like Tom DeLay in that cha-cha competition. No one can save us, not the black president or the governor of California with an Austrian accent. Certainly the Europeans can’t help, since not even the collapse of every tall building on the planet can get Americans to pay attention to non-American ideas.

Also coming soon to a theater near you are: “The Road” (Viggo Mortensen struggles across a barren landscape after a mysterious cataclysm) and “The Book of Eli” (Denzel Washington guards a book that could save post-apocalypse humanity from Gary Oldman). Obviously, Hollywood has determined that the reason all those Iraq-war-themed movies failed was that the moviegoers felt the scenery wasn’t bleak enough.

I’ve been disappointed that, so far, almost no one has noticed that St. Malachy’s List of the Last Popes has been running out of gas almost as fast as the Mayan calendar. Malachy was an Irish bishop who died in 1148, after allegedly having seen a vision of the future 112 popes who would reign until the end of the world. By this count, the current Benedict XVI would be 111.

Each of the popes gets a little hint as to his identity. For the most part, Malachy cannily chose to keep them general enough (“angelic shepherd”) that it was hard not to hit a lot of home runs. But good luck in figuring out how Benedict is “glory of the olives.”

Keeping things vague, or subject to multiple interpretations, is the real key to apocalyptic predictions. It’s what made Nostradamus a household name. He’d stare at a bowl of water for hours on end, and then come up with something like:

For the merry maid the bright splendor

Will shine no longer, for long will she be without salt.

With merchants, bullies, wolves odious,

All confusion universal monster.

Which is obviously a foretelling of the Sarah Palin book tour.

My own favorite prognosticator, The Amazing Criswell, always got into trouble with specificity, including his prediction that a black rainbow would circle the earth in 1999 and suck out all the oxygen. He lost a lot of credibility even earlier, after he announced that the United States would move its capital to Wichita and that pressures from outer space would turn Denver into jelly. Really, people tend to remember stuff like that.

I’m predicting that by the time we reach 2011, the 2012 Web sites will hit the million mark, not to mention the Twitters of Terror. But we’ve survived end-of-the-world panic many times before.

When I was a kid, the nuns at my school filled us with stories about prophecies of doom, frequently from Our Lady of Fatima. They always revolved around the Communist menace, and we were occasionally sent home on Friday with assurances that the End was coming by Sunday. We were credulous enough not to question why, in that case, there were homework assignments.

Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:31 am
SonofEva went to see the movie last night. He came home and announced that he knows how the world will end. There will be a big explosion, then everything will melt.*

*The film caught on fire during the showing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:34 am

Has anyone noticed how in the face of prognostications of doom at a designated date,
approximately NEVER is there denial from advocates of a latter date ?

For instance, for those who declared The End in 2000,
no one protested:
" No, that 's fake: the Mayans' Calendar goes on until the end of 2012 !
Don 't u trust the MAYANS ?!!? This 2000 nonsense is just a dirty, bigoted anti-Mayan plot! "

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:00 am
Eva wrote:

Quote:
*The film caught on fire during the showing.

I wish it had caught on fire as I watched it yesterday afternoon down at the 34th Street Theatre. I kept thinking "I am missing my nap for this?"
The graphics were incredible for the first fifty minutes or so, then you kind of think..."Oh, that's what California sliding into the sea will look like..oh, hum."
As for the dialogue and the characters: meep and meep, meep. There are several IDENTICAL scenes of people saying goodbye to someone else on the phone. Huge crisis point coming up in seconds and .......there is a long, long scene of two or three characters saying "Blah, blah blah, meep, meep, blah." before someone dives into the water and finds the .... wait, I don't want to spoil the ending.
There has to be a certain suspension of belief when you go to see a movie, but in this case you have to have entered the theatre having recently had a frontal lobotomy.

David: there WERE serious consequences for trade and commerce in the year 2000. In January of that year there were several instance of ski lift tickets being printed with the wrong date on them. (1900)

Joe(oh, the humanity!)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:03 am
"
David: there WERE serious consequences for trade and commerce in the year 2000. In January of that year there were several instance of ski lift tickets being printed with the wrong date on them. (1900)
"
I bet if they had had guns that would have been rectified post haste.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:06 am
ERRATUM !

Has anyone noticed how in the face of prognostications of doom at a designated date,
approximately NEVER is there denial from advocates of a latter date ?

no one protested:
Don 't u trust the MAYANS ?!!? This 2000 nonsense is just a dirty, bigoted anti-Mayan plot! "

SHOUD HAVE BEEN:

approximately NEVER is there denial from advocates of a later date ?

no one protested:

Sorry; my finger got too enthusiastic.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:16 am
At times, I have had an enthusiastic finger.
Or been accused of having same.

Joe(the mind whirls at all of the possible scenarios)Nation
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Judging from what is on History Channel, Smithsonian, National Geographic -- Sodom and Gemorrah, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, are popular. Not quite as popular as Hitler or recently, Jack the Ripper, but no wonder we have a nation on anti-depressants!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:49 pm
I heard a rumor they are going to take our anti-depressants away.

Joe(or make us take more. They weren't sure.)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I heard a rumor they are going to take our anti-depressants away.

Joe(or make us take more. They weren't sure.)Nation
The jurisdiction of government to make u ingest something
is exactly equal to its jurisdiction to prohibit u from taking anything.

Any such efforts are naked USURPATION of ultra vires authority.

David
parados

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
2012? Bah..

It's going to end Dec 31, 2009. I know that because that's when my Hallmark Calender ends.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
@parados,
OHmyGAWD parados!! I just looked. That's when my calendar stops too.
!!
Wait.
In this afternoon's mail, there is an offer from American Express for 2010 desk calendar with my initials embossed on it.
I'm so confused.
Joe(do you suppose they don't know yet or are they covering it up??)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
When all them clowns float off in the rapture, the first thing i'm gonna do is check their cars to see if they left the keys in 'em . . . if so . . . it's demolition derby time ! ! !
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And yet those in charge seem to try to do both with some success over the past 1000 years.
Joe(to say nothing of their opinion regarding ideas, consumable or forbidden.)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:15 am
@Joe Nation,
Im gonna say "To hell with the 1 tuna per boat limit"
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:30 am
@farmerman,
Ah.
The revolution starts somewhere.
Joe(pass the mayo.)Nation
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
$ 65M weekend box office -- disaster films will never die, but, then, neither will any of us in 2012.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
@Lightwizard,
How can you be sure? The evidence seems compelling. Gungasnake is buying it.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:43 pm
@farmerman,
Gungasnake would buy a snake if he could f**k it.
0 Replies