I love to fish!

Rae

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 05:17 pm
Anyone else?

Upon moving to Florida (25 years ago), my Dad thought that teaching his two daughters how to fish would be a cool thing for the three of us to do during our time together.....he was right.

I gave it up for a very long time.....Christmas 2002 ~ my son gave me a new rod and reel. I've caught two catfish, two crabs and numerous blowfish with this rod. Mother's Day 2003 ~ same son gave me an ocean pole.

All I want to do now is fish.....

Comments, please!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 32
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 05:35 pm
Hey, I caught a blowfish once. It was off one of those bridges that connect two keys. It's an interesting way to fish, isn't it? The catch can go anywhere from a couple ounces to some unknown thing that slowly and gently pull away with every inch of line you've got. Blowfish is truely a wretched excuse for a fish, isn't it? The one I caught was puffed up like a piece of wet liver and just laid in my hand, glaring at me. When I tried to remove the hook and toss it back, it snapped at me. I mean, you could hear those little teeth click together.

Now, here's a fish story. A friend told me of hooking into a fish that did just that. It just stripped his reel. He said it was a big ray - they'll do that, you know. Later, I repeated the story and maybe, who knows why, my listeners may have assumed it happened to me. With some embarassment, I later learned they are strict vegetarians, and the odds were really against hooking one with mullet for bait.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:02 pm
Hiya Roger! You and I are definitely going fishing the next time you visit!

I had a great experience not too long ago.....

Made friends with a fellow angler ~ on the day we met, I didn't catch anything. My new friend, upon hearing about my unemployment, pretty much demanded that I go fishing again the next day ~ since I had nothing to do anyway.

Me, being the devout coward that I am, got the courage up to go. By myself. I'm more proud of myself for actually going than cathing fish.

I caught three reds that day ~ you can only keep one (per day, per person), so I gave the other two away.....but the catches were awesome!

The first one was 27 inches ~ a keeper. The second was 26 & 1/2 ~ had to give it away.....the third was 29 inches ~ had to be put back ~ too big.

Redfish is delicious, by the way.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:53 pm

I can vouch for that!

I had about four meals out of it, and I know Rae had some too.

When are you going fishing again? I'm getting cravings!!!!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:21 am
Rae, I was turned on to the art of fishing a few years ago by my husband. I only tried it once before as a teen-ager and though it was "totally boring."

NOW...oh yeah...love it! Here in Oklahoma, I don't get the stuff that you do, but I get some great bass and crappy and catfish.

I'm with you girl...fishing rulzzzzzzzz! Wink
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:34 am
I fish with dynamite. Just throw a few sticks into the creek and KABOOM!!! Damn fish everywhere.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
LibertyD ~ you need to make more time for fishing!!

Gus ~ a pleasure, as always.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:47 am
Noooo. I hate fishing. Wink

Get a flyrod. I hear tarpon fishing with a saltwater fly outfit is premo down your way. One of these days I'll get the chance to try it myself. For now I occupy myself with trout and small-mouth bass fishing.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:56 am
Hiya fishin!

Fly fishing is too much work! I much prefer tossing my line out, setting the drag and.....waiting.

And waiting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:05 pm
There are other ways, gus. Much quieter.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
rae...I knew I liked you for a reason Wink

I was my fathers only son so....I learned to fish at a very young age, went to the derby's, went on afternoon rides to find a spot during the springs and summers right through high school. After that well, less and less opportunities to fish..then had all my stuff stolen.
I however must say that my dear man hooked me up **wow...that pun I didnt even intend..kewl** with a great rod & reel and tackle box and stuffs...now, to get out and try it before it gets to that place where I wont go..ice fishin. brrrr.
Tried salt water once....caught a ray..and some ugly thing..that was enough for me...what I really want to catch is a Bass...have yet to catch one, bummer really. Eventually though..Im gonna catch something....I hope. Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
Two peas in a pod, I tell ya!

I've already been told what I'm getting for Christmas this year ~ a decent tackle box and a fold-up cart to carry everything to the pier on wheels!

Those rays sure do put up a fight, don't they? I saw a few seasoned anglers work up a sweat trying to get them in.....and then listen to them cuss when they realised what they'd hooked!

Not too sure if I'd be crazy about ice fishing myself! Drinking beer and testing my patience on the pier is one thing.....drinking beer and testing my patience while freezing my ass off is another story! :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:10 pm
I hear hot beverages with spirits come in handy but ya know..Ill just take their word for it as well Smile

Yeah, the dang Ray's...blah...who wants those anyhow? jeesh.

What an excellent gift!! Im sure you will use it well!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:53 pm
Nuthin' quite like fishing with just your teeth...

Daddy has a Harbor Seal
There's one thing that I hate
Dad makes me take it fishing
And the Seal eats all my bait.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:59 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:09 pm
How ya doin' up there, Fishbreath?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:12 pm
Who you callin fishbreath?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:37 pm
At least I did not break the seal before opening the package.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:43 pm
Gotcha.

Forgive me if I missed the explanation already, but what in the world does your signature line mean?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:08 pm
They Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Sooner or later, one way or another, you pay for everything you get.
0 Replies