Help, can a latin expert help translate two phrases?

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
This is for someone special who passed before his time. He requested that these two phrases be engraved where he lay. They are "Keep the Faith" and "Fight The Fear". So far I've found that Keep The Faith is "Servo Fidem" and Fight the Fear is "Pugna Timor".

Can any latin experts confirm that this is correct grammatically and contextually? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,842 • Replies: 12
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:24 pm
@pikimaroo,
i get

eep-Kay ee-Thay aith-Fay

and

ight-Fay ee-Thay ear-Fay

pikimaroo

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:28 am
@djjd62,
thats not funny at all.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:41 am
@pikimaroo,
I would say either teneo fidem or habeo fidem, rather than servo.

Servo means 'keep' only in the sense of preserve or protect. Teneo is to hold, i.e. keep; habeo is to have, i.e. to be able to keep.

I see nothing wrong with pugno timor, but George might be along to check me out.
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:12 am
@pikimaroo,
you're absolutely right, i didn't read your post close enough, i figured it was about just getting tattoos, as most of them are

sorry for your loss
pikimaroo

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:29 am
@Merry Andrew,
Thank you, i think it would be appropriate to use "Habeo fidem" then, as he always talked about keeping the faith. Thanks again.
pikimaroo

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:42 am
@djjd62,
djjd62,

That's alright, ironically you're half right. This friend of mine had initially wanted to get these two phrases tattooed, but he took his own life before he got around to doing it. So I felt it would be nice to have it engraved on his tombstone.

Sadly, I guess even though he had the right idea, he couldn't fight his own demons. Hopefully it will inspire someone else enough not to go down that path. He will be sorely missed. He was only 29.
0 Replies

pikimaroo

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 06:59 am
@pikimaroo,
I just thought about it, if "keep the faith" would mean something like fighting to keep the faith (as in fighting to overcome the fear we encounter in our daily lives and emotions), would "Servo Fidem" seem more appropriate?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:31 am
@pikimaroo,
"Servo Fidem"
This means "I Keep The Faith".
If you want to say "Keep The Faith" as a command, use
Serva Fidem
"Pugna Timor"
You want the use the accustaive, so
Pugna Timorem
0 Replies

DeCuTo

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 04:52 pm
Hello,
I'm writing to ask you if you would like to translate an expression for me. It's also a name of a song by Michael Jackson and I searched all over the Internet, all sorts of dictionaries but I cannot translate it correctly...It's "Give in to me". Can you please help me?
George

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:53 am
@DeCuTo,
Cede mihi
0 Replies

hairybeermonster

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:59 am
Servo as I learnt it being the motto of my college is ' I keep' as in I keep the faith. It was instilled to us as keeping the faith of Jesus, but I like to think of it as being true in a positive or meaningful sense .... I keep the the faith - I do what I know is right - the faith in this instance coming from a true belief in what is correct and right then a religious ideal
George

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:08 pm
@hairybeermonster,
I motto I would recommend to Hairy Beer Monsters everywhere.
0 Replies