At least seven killed in shooting at Fort Hood, Tex.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 03:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I would never figure the same about you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 03:51 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i think he's still a yankee

There's no need to be insulting.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 03:52 pm
@DrewDad,
Embarrassed

a proud citizen of the USA
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:00 pm
@djjd62,
I still think he likes kangaroos.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
who doesn't
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm warning you.

I have marsupial puns and I'm not afraid to use them.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:15 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

joe - I have to agree the others here. Time and place dude. It's not that I disagree with you, nor is the irony lost on the location and access to firearms, but I think that the fact that my mind went there without it being said kind of suggests, that well... it didn't need to be said.

This is tragic enough without cynicism.
K
O

Your concerns have been duly noted.

Joefromchicago's cynical remark merely anticipated the arguments that we are now getting on this thread from OmSigDavid.

I get that. I really do. I just feel so sickened by this kind of thing that my normal tolerance for cynicism is pretty exhausted. Nothing gained by beating OSD to the punch. It's not like beating him to the punch prevented him from making his argument. It turned my stomach. I'm just not amused at this kind of humor at the victim's expense. I think the point can be made in less brash ways.

Map - I know that soldiers don't have immediate access. I said proximity, I was speaking to the other irony. You misinterpreted. I think snood may be able to verify this, but I think that only national guard soldiers (and MPs) can have live ammunition outside of regular exercises on US soil. I know they didn't have access to weapons for defense. I am unsure how the shooter(s) had access. Is this detail clear yet? Did they acquire the weapon on the grounds or did they bring it on?

Snood - Am I correct about weapons and live ammo?

OmSIGDavid - I can see the reasons why a soldier who is trained to operate a piece of military equipment should have access to this type of weaponry. To make this about the general topic of weapon control is to ignore many important distinctions about this versus private ownership of firearms by citizens.

joefromchicago - Why so brash? Does it not concern you that your statements may be offensive? I don't disagree with you, but do you believe that your statement was in good taste?

T
K
O
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:16 pm
@Diest TKO,
When you know someone's going to go there, it takes away their power if you go there first.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:41 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

When you know someone's going to go there, it takes away their power if you go there first.

It didn't.

T
K
O
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:55 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

OmSigDavid wrote:
If u r an Austrailian, then I cannot and shoud not expect u to understand American law,

DrewDad is one of the most respected Aussies on this forum.
His enthusiasm for learning American law has won the respect of joefromchicago and DebraLaw.
It coud be possible that he is enthusiastic.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
he's not an australian
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

he's not an australian
If not, then its my mistake; sorry.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:15 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

joe - I have to agree the others here. Time and place dude. It's not that I disagree with you, nor is the irony lost on the location and access to firearms, but I think that the fact that my mind went there without it being said kind of suggests, that well... it didn't need to be said.

This is tragic enough without cynicism.
K
O

Your concerns have been duly noted.

Joefromchicago's cynical remark merely anticipated the arguments that we are now getting on this thread from OmSigDavid.

I get that. I really do. I just feel so sickened by this kind of thing that my normal tolerance for cynicism is pretty exhausted. Nothing gained by beating OSD to the punch. It's not like beating him to the punch prevented him from making his argument. It turned my stomach.
I'm just not amused at this kind of humor [ ?? ]at the victim's expense. I think the point can be made in less brash ways.

OmSIGDavid - I can see the reasons why a soldier who is trained to operate a piece of military equipment should have access to this type of weaponry. To make this about the general topic of weapon control is to ignore many important distinctions [ ?? ]about this versus private ownership of firearms by citizens.

T
K
O
1. There is no humor in soldiers getting killed;
it seems strange that u choose to address it in those terms.

2. The Supreme Law of the Land makes no exceptions
for members of the Armed Forces, that thay must surrender
and sacrifice their rights under the Bill of Rights.
The 2A does not say: " . . . the right of the people to keep and bear arms
shall not be infringed EXCEPT FOR SOLDIERS."
That is not what it says. It is a unversal negative proposition,
on the Aristotelian Square of Logical Opposition.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:20 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

When you know someone's going to go there,
it takes away their power if you go there first.

Quote:
It didn't.
That 's because the merits of the principles involved are what thay are, regardless, and independently.

David
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
And the merits of your position are few and far between.

Why aren't you for universal body armor?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
oefromchicago - Why so brash? Does it not concern you that your statements may be offensive? I don't disagree with you, but do you believe that your statement was in good taste?

I did not intend my remarks to be offensive. I did not consider them to be offensive. I didn't even think it was likely that anyone would be offended. If I did, I might be able to see your point, but I don't. That you, for some reason, feel offended is something over which I have absolutely no control. Your level of offense, therefore, is of little concern to me. I can only hope that you get over it soon. In the meantime, I suggest that you reserve your outrage for those people who take in earnest the argument I made in jest.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:40 pm
Good grief. Just heard the radio news. Another shooting in the US!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/07/2736008.htm
snood

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:58 pm
Diest-
Weapons are very strictly controlled and restricted on any Army base I've ever been on. On a training base like Ft Hood (there is a basic training battalion there), that's even moreso the case. For line units (infantry, artillery, those who normally serve in forward areas) each individual soldier is assigned a weapon or weapons that no one else uses, and that he has to be accountable for. They all have a serial number and are kept locked in very secure areas with keys only held by a very select few. A line unit has an individual called an armorer whose sole function is maintaining the servicability and security of the weapons.

The notion that somehow there are weapons floating loosely around in a place like Hood could only be floated by someone who hasn't spent any appreciable time on a modern military base.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:59 pm
@msolga,
Problem with the publicity, possibly...these things trigger other people on the edge.

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:01 pm
@dlowan,
Very depressing & extremely scary.
Sigh.