The Meaning of Life

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
God looked down on his creation, Man, and said to Gabriel: "You know the trick was to make him smart enough to know why he would die, but not smart enough to know why he was alive".
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:28 pm
@Ionus,
Eureka -- I think you've found it! Any claim we are sure of the meaning of life and of a higher power that looks over that life is just this side of a psychosis. Besides, it's egotistical to believe we are singled out as the "Godsend" of the Universe.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@Dunnbeatable,
Quote:
Organic life is here as earth fertilizer.

Unless your meaning this in a metaphysical sense, this is the equivalent of asking 'why must we eat?' and answering 'because we excrete.' It's backwards. You cannot 'fertilize' the earth for it's own sake, because it doesn't have it's own sake. The earth is not an entity that needs fertilization, it is simply a sphere of atoms drifting through space. We might have just happened to be placed on the earth and our decay creates it's fertility, but seeing as all matter in our bodies can be found on earth, the laws of matter state that it must have been fertile in the first place for us to come into being, rendering us redundant.

I hate the term 'The Meaning of Life.' As if life is supposed to signify something, like a word in a dictionary. You seem to be really asking 'What is our purpose in life?'
fresco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:45 pm
@Sentience,
Smile
You obviously haven't read Gurdjieff !
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:57 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Albert's comments, coming from within a life of celebrity and acclamation, can hardly be taken as "wisdom". It may simply be that the human propensity for "forward planning" requires some goal to exercise itself on, which is no more significant than the exercise wheel of a hamster. Indeed the artificial physical fitness "goals" popular in sedentary society may more indicative of a general point than we might have suspected.

Outstanding
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:58 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

Quote:
Organic life is here as earth fertilizer.

Unless your meaning this in a metaphysical sense, this is the equivalent of asking 'why must we eat?' and answering 'because we excrete.' It's backwards. You cannot 'fertilize' the earth for it's own sake, because it doesn't have it's own sake. The earth is not an entity that needs fertilization, it is simply a sphere of atoms drifting through space. We might have just happened to be placed on the earth and our decay creates it's fertility, but seeing as all matter in our bodies can be found on earth, the laws of matter state that it must have been fertile in the first place for us to come into being, rendering us redundant.

I hate the term 'The Meaning of Life.' As if life is supposed to signify something, like a word in a dictionary. You seem to be really asking 'What is our purpose in life?'

Gia?
0 Replies

unitedminds

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:55 pm
Beauty, and the human creativeness. don't you think this answer can put a meaning in life? and then there can be a question - what is beauty? well I can give my opinion on that as well but it will be a different subject =)
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:19 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

"What is the meaning of human life, or of organic life altogether? To answer this question at all times implies religion. Is there any sense then, you ask, in putting it? I answer, the man who regards his own life and that of his fellow-creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life."
Albert Einstein
Mein Weltbild
(Published in English as The World As I See It)

Please discuss.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Be nice to your kids, they'll get to pick your nursing home one day
0 Replies

AncientMonkey7

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@Merry Andrew,
to be content. in my opinion finding something that you can grow and learn from over the years helps you have an understanding of your self and what you can contribute to other things. learning from this certain something helps you gain knowledge and comfort, because lack of understanding and knowledge leads to fear, ect.
just my views : )
0 Replies