The Meaning of Life

squinney

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Hey, Merry. Loving your avatar. Looks like Hawaii is treating you well. Just taking a break, but like the Mafia... Every time I think I'm out, you guys pull me back in.

No need to define happiness. You'll know it when you have it.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
You'll know it when you have it.

I have it, cause I'm happy to see you post.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
Happiness is simply the absence of unhappiness.
Abel Conklin

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:14 pm
Happiness, in my opinion, is the sensation of near-orgasm when a participant is nowhere in the area. You know?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 06:16 pm
@Lightwizard,
One of the best definitions I ever heard was: happiness is not getting what you want. Happiness is learning to love what you've got.

But back to the subject. I'm still browsing ole Albert's book on life, love and relativity. (Citadel Press, no copyright date).
Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:27 am
@Merry Andrew,
Nope it does not "at all times implies religion" (sic), not even close; however the question presupposes a meaning and thus it's a logical fallacy called plurium interrogationum.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:30 am
@Lightwizard,
According to your "logic" you'll be happy when you're dead.
Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:31 am
@Merry Andrew,
According to your "logic" I should learn to love my cancer.
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:32 am
@Merry Andrew,
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/91774875_1e27d47611.jpg

Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:51 am
@Lightwizard,
How do you know Lightwizard?
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:55 am
@squinney,
Ha squinny, that picture was taken when he was 15. He was born with a beard.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:38 am
@Sglass,
How do I know what?

That L. Ron Hubbard devised Dianetics in a little more than a day. This was common knowledge in the LA sci-fi social groups, particularly the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society and one of its founders is Mr. Sci-Fi, Forrest J. Ackerman, who was and still is a close friend. Hubbard attended many meetings of LASFS. John W. Campbell, the editor of the then Astounding Science Fiction (now Analog) finally confirmed this. He was the first to publish the "process" within the pages of his magazine. Later, it was just an embarassment.

Ayn Rand devised "objectivism" in a few days for the novel "The Fountainhead." After the publication of "Atlas Shrugged," it began to be an actual movement and is now not as large as Scientology and, thankfully, does not have all the screwy ideas about the influence of alien's from space. Rand eventually went off track and devised a religion based on pantheism.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:42 am
@Chumly,
Nope, I am like everyone else who I believe are normal -- periods of happiness and periods of unhappiness. Of course, when I'm dead I will not be aware of being happy or unhappy. Unhappiness is confused with depression which is a biological mis-firing of chemicals in one's brain associated with a stressor.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

According to your "logic" I should learn to love my cancer.

No. You should live your life so that it's unlikely you will get cancer. And, if you do, you should learn from Reinhold Niebhur:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change . . .[etc.]"

But the real point, of course, is that 'getting what you want' will never provide you with hapiness. Achievement of what you want can only lead to wanting yet more, thus unhappiness. (See Schopenhauer and/or study Budhism, particularly Zen.)
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:40 am
@Lightwizard,
How do you know Rand created objectivism and a best seller in a few days? If so just remember if took God seven days to create the earth and a best seller.

Now did God make the New York Times best sellers list.

Now who made more money, God or Ayn Rand?
Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@Lightwizard,
I understand, I was kinda poking fun at your wide generalization
Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I understand, I was kinda poking fun at your wide generalization
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/91774875_1e27d47611.jpg

The highest form of truth uttered in this entire thread!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:20 pm
@Sglass,
I did not state she created the novel in a few days -- reread the post.

The Bible is still the best selling book in the world. Not that it is actually authored by a god -- still written by a bunch of scribes (secretaries) wandering about in the desert and the plutocracy of the Catholic church.

Best sellers are rarely the best books. I loved "The Fountainhead," hated "Atlas Shrugged" (I always though it was about Charles Atlas with a kink in his shoulder).
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:24 pm
@Chumly,
Semantics, philosophy of life and psychology doesn't allow specifics for the meaning of life -- so you can find a moment of happiness in poking fun.