The Meaning of Life

Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm
@Lightwizard,
OMG I didn't proofread. Forgive me.
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:41 pm
@Sglass,
Well Ayn Rand got the money for her books. Who got God's money?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:43 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Well Ayn Rand got the money for her books. Who got God's money?
Oral Roberts
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:50 pm
@dyslexia,
Don't forget the Vatican. Their bank accounts aren't simply chump change. Wink
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm
@Lightwizard,
There are arguable physiological indicators of what may be claimed as happiness and these indicators do have some accuracy.

As an aside, I don't think happiness should be sought at the expense of knowledge and wisdom.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:11 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
As an aside, I don't think happiness should be sought at the expense of knowledge and wisdom.

Hear, hear!
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:12 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

Hear, hear!

but, but

ignorance is bliss Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Laughing

The money goes into the overhead and profit of the retailer, often a church "reading room" which also sells Bibles, the distributors, the printers, the publishers and a tiny amount might make it into Church coffers to help the poor after they pay their overhead.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
It's possible to find happiness through knowledge and wisdom -- it's just a different kind of happiness. To begin with, it keeps one's mind so busy, one doesn't have time to be unhappy. Unhappiness is mostly the result of concentrating of the glass half full.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:30 pm
I personally think there's something wrong with the expression 'to seek hapiness.' If you seek it, go out and look for it, you will never find it. Never. If you live your life right (whatever 'right' is for you), it'll sneak up on you unawares.
Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 03:07 am
Life doesn't mean anything. In fact it's obscenely redundant. We just like to pretend we are so special that we warrant some kind of meaning. People are not special and they warrant no meaning. But i'm sure creation doesn't mind if we pretend some meaning for ourselves, we only afflict ourselves with it.

selfishness will come to a head, we will be gone and with it our "meaning". To hell with the "meaning" it the OUTCOME!

Cheers Einstein! To the meaning of life!

http://blog.adw.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/atombomb.jpg
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 04:23 am
Of course to appreciate the deeper meaning of the answer, you have to better understand the question.
dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:16 am
@Ionus,
DON'T PANIC
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:43 am
@dadpad,
You see doom, I see opportunity for redevelopment
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:56 am
@dadpad,
NOW you tell me !
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 04:17 pm
@Merry Andrew,
If you're going to seek anything, seek what gives you enjoyment -- that's if you know at least the components, like art, music, writing (not necessarily one's own -- Very Happy ), films, good TV (I think my favorite is now Smithsonian Channel but I do have many guilty pleasures!), and perhaps end up with relationships that are centered around mutual enjoyment of those things. It's definitely not getting preoccupied with politics and the daily onslaught of bad news on CNN. Or, like I stated before, happiness is just not being unhappy. Depression is unhappiness and it may not be one's fault, like environments or bad relationships one has dropped themselves into not just from naivety but from wanting constant change, or just a physiological bad mixture of chemicals in the body and brain (we know that can be self-induced!). Often there's a decision of a change in environment which is not a bad idea in itself, it's that changes sometimes are the causes of the unhappiness.

That's one reason I enjoy history -- it's remote, one can learn from it, and it doesn't make me unhappy. Mentioning Smithsonian, their recent Apocalypse series on WWII utilizing a lot of the same color footage that was on the simultaneous History Channel WWII in HD, won that "Battle-of-the-Documentary-Networks" by a slim margin.

It also make me curiously happy after reviewing a war that was at least inevitable at the time and had some purpose, good or bad (whatever one thinks about that) to again realize that Bush and Co. was a gigantic bag of **** -- starting two wars they had deluded themselves into thinking they could finish, or someone else could finish them and they could be at home and just observe, unfortunately moving their lips from time-to-time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:28 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Of course to appreciate the deeper meaning of the answer, you have to better understand the question.

Doesn't matter the question. The answer is and will always be 42.
djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
42 and, of course, knowing where your towel is at
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:34 pm
@djjd62,
I know I should've listened to my mother.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:13 pm
http://aristotle.net/~diogenes/meaning1.htm
0 Replies