Will the LHC find the Higgs Boson?

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
Ok, what's your prediction?

Will CERN's Large Hadron Collider uncover the Higgs Boson or won't it? Does such a boson even exist, or will it take an even larger collider to uncover it?

I predict they will NOT find the Higgs Boson because it doesn't exist. I have no evidence to support my prediction, but I'm sticking with it. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,662 • Replies: 33

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
have they looked behind the couch?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
pretty cool to watch the web cams from inside the collider

LHC Webcams
rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

pretty cool to watch the web cams from inside the collider

LHC Webcams

Ha. Those are great Smile Saw them last year (right before the system super-cooled itself into junk).
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:54 pm
@rosborne979,
It isnt that we dont have other similarly developed models of the array. (Technicolor, Abbot-Fahri). A higgsless explanation to W vector bosons isnt a bifg deal. We move on. Its like a "brane" explanation may do away with a "big BAng"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:00 pm
I am too ignorant to make an intelligent guess. But I am as eager to see what happens as anybody.
0 Replies

tgmarus1

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:53 am
@rosborne979,
I agree, what will it look like, will they know it if it appears. As with many experimental findings the results are total unexpected. This is just pealing back of an infinite onion layer. When physicists open a door they find a room filled with new cool stuff, then they have to recognize the next door to open, it may never end, God made it that way.
0 Replies

tgmarus

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:18 am
@rosborne979,
I agree, what will it look like, will they know it if it appears. As with many experimental findings the results are total unexpected. This is just pealing back of an infinite onion layer. When physicists open a door they find a room filled with new cool stuff, then they have to recognize the next door to open, it may never end, God made it that way.
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:48 am
@tgmarus,
hey, have you met tgmarus 1, he/she/it shares the same belief as you
tgmarus

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:08 pm
@djjd62,
Cox, Hawkins, Kaku even Lederman admits it may all be wrong, cant be proven they say. I think they got a lot of it right but the text books are always rewritten.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:46 pm
http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc

Quote:
On Saturday evening 9-Nov, at around 8 p.m., after passing through the LHCb detector, for the first time since last year's incident, protons arrived at the doorstep of the CMS experiment, thus completing half the journey around the LHC's circumference.

Low energy protons from the LHC were dumped in a collimator just upstream of the CMS cavern. The calorimeters and the muon chambers of the experiment saw the tracks left by particles coming from the dumping point (a so-called 'splash event', see image). During the weekend, bunches of protons were also sent in the clockwise direction passing through the ALICE detector and were dumped at point 3.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 07:53 am
@rosborne979,
Have they found it?
parados

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:12 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The way the Higgs field works has been likened to the way photographers and reporters congregate around a celebrity. The cluster of people are strongly attracted to the celebrity and create resistance to his or her movement across a room. In other words, they give the celebrity "mass".

After reading their attempt to explain it, it makes me wonder how Lindsey Lohan losing her purse affects theories in physics.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:43 am
@parados,
Well, if they're searching the web hoping to find nude pix, because they're too cheap to buy Playboy . . . their work may suffer.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:44 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
After reading their attempt to explain it, it makes me wonder how Lindsey Lohan losing her purse affects theories in physics.
This just goes to show how little they think of our intelligence... I was going to complain about it but I was too busy googling pictures of Lindsey Lohan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
I predict they will NOT find the Higgs Boson because it doesn't exist. I have no evidence to support my prediction, but I'm sticking with it.

You're cool, Boss, don't worry about it . . . i consulted the runes, the martian fossilized blood vessels and the local Holy Roller, and your prediction is a lead pipe cinch.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:53 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're cool, Boss, don't worry about it . . . i consulted the runes, the martian fossilized blood vessels and the local Holy Roller, and your prediction is a lead pipe cinch.
I feel secure. Even if they do find it, I can just claim that the experts are idiots and all of science is flawed for some philosophically obscure reason, then I can continue to proclaim the awesomeness of my own ideas. Smile
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 09:50 am
@rosborne979,
Have you started your blog yet? That will give out a place to link here to support your arguments.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Have you started your blog yet? That will give out a place to link here to support your arguments.
I plan to create several blogs. Then I'm going to cut/paste my claims all over the internet and link them together. Then I'm going to cite my own blogs as supporting evidence for my blog entries. Then I plan to pepper my posts with links to credible sites which appear at first glance to be related to whatever I'm talking about even though the actual connection will be entirely specious. "My god... it's full of blood vessels".

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:22 am
@rosborne979,
Oooo . . . cool 2001 reference ! ! !
0 Replies