Why would a Health insurance company spend money on politcal spam?

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:41 am
Yep... Humana Inc., (a large health insurance company) is recruiting college kids. They are looking for college kids with knowledge of web-based "technologies techniques and tactics" who will "generate content" and "take responsibility for achieving results".

This is the job offer taken directly from their site. Am I the only one who finds the fact that corporations would hire kids for this kind of thing a bit annoying?

Quote:

Are you a fit?
Interested in politics and political communication? Have a way with words? Know your way around Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere?

Assignment Capsule
Put your skills to work where politics, communication and public relations intersect. You will:

• Help manage and track a variety of online (“Web 2.0”) channels
• Build a strategic new media and social media presence
• Contribute content for both traditional and new media
• Get a “foot in the door” and gain valuable experience in one of today’s most challenging and fast-paced public policy arenas " health care

Key Competencies
• Communications Knowledge: You have an understanding of integrated communications planning and are good at using tactical tools, e.g. writing for different media, to resolve communications challenges.
• Implementation/Execution: You are good at organizing and managing multiple priorities and/or projects by using appropriate methodologies and tools.
• Innovate: You introduce new ideas and processes which improve performance and productivity.
• Is Accountable: You meet clearly stated expectations and take responsibility for achieving results.

Role Essentials
- Minimum Junior-year status toward a four-year college degree
• Knowledge of new/social media (“Web 2.0”) technologies, techniques and tactics
• Strong organizational skills, a gift for writing, and abundant creativity
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,346 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:45 am
@ebrown p,
Actually seems like a reasonable idea, to me. If you're looking to go viral, I don't think there's a formula for what works. Ergo, hire a lot of cheap talent and hope someone gets lucky....
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:21 am
@DrewDad,
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/work/article/357223--toys-r-us-names-chief-play-officer

13 y.o. hired to talk up toys for facebook

they don't just mow lawns these days

<shrug>

we need to keep up with the times
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:23 am
@DrewDad,
"Reasonable" is an interesting choice of words. I supposed from a corporate politics standpoint it is "reasonable".

But from an A2K members perspective, it is not so reasonable. What this means is more posts about "death panels" that don't disclose the fact that they are being paid by an insurance company.

It is the deceit implicit in this type of marketing, where "grass roots" are fertilized with corporate manure, that is troubling.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:27 am
freedom of speech is a real bitch sometimes, huh?
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:31 am
Humana (which, IMO, is a lousy company) knows that Obamacare is coming. With it, many young people, who never bothered with health insurance, may be obliged to buy a policy.

Apparently Humana is looking to develop a following amongst the young. They know that the young are more savvy with modern media, so they are going to exploit that.

Young people who have little experience with insurance, may be taken in by a company hawking that reaches them where they congregate....the internet.

IMO, it is a canny corporate decision.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
The term "Obamacare" is so childish.

Is the alternative "Beckcare" or "Limbaughcare" (I suppose that means the status quo)?

((Interestingly there is no such thing as McConnellcare, since Republican leaders don't seem to have any ideas of their own))
mushypancakes

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:40 am
Gross.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:41 am
@McGentrix,
No McG. Freedom of Speech works just fine because it works both ways.

I was not calling for banning the use of fake "grass-roots" spam from big corporations.

I am simply criticizing it as an example of the slimy ends that these corporations will use to keep profiting off of the fears of Americans..

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

((Interestingly there is no such thing as McConnellcare, since Republican leaders don't seem to have any ideas of their own))

Yeah, that seems to be a common misconception amongst the liberals that are not informed.

In May, Republicans in the House and the Senate formed a bicameral coalition to produce the130-page "Patients Choice Act of 2009."

In June, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) introduced the "Health Care Freedom Plan," a 41-page proposal.

And in July, the Republican Study Committee, under the leadership of Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), unveiled the "Empowering Patients First Act," a 130-page plan.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:51 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p, I don't know what it is with you. I used the term "Obamacare" as a shortcut, so everyone would know about what I was writing.

Instead, I get a remark from you that my way of describing the health care plan posited by the president is "childish".

Did you read what I wrote in the entire post, or where you just stuck on one word?

Apparently, if I wrote that "the sky is blue" you would find a way to take offense. And THAT is childish!!!
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 08:52 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I am simply criticizing it as an example of the slimy ends that these corporations will use to keep profiting off of the fears of Americans..

I look at it quite differently. A new market is opening up, and Humana wants to make sure that they are in the running for some business. After all, there are a lot of insurance companies out there. Humana wants to be noticed and make sure that they reach a targeted audience. And that is how the advertising business works, from selling soap powders to cars.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:01 am
@McGentrix,
Actually... we liberals are quite informed. These bills are pretty close to meaningless in that they don't address any of the real problems with our current health insurance system (like the fact our premiums are going up so fast as a percentage of our GDP and wages). They are minor tweaks to the status quo that no one takes seriously.

The highlights of "Demintcare" are tort reform and getting rid of TARP-- they are typical Republican talking points with the words "health care" stamped on them.

Funny enough, many of the keys of these republican initiatives, like tort reform for example will be minor points of the health care reform bill that passes.

In other words, Republicans won't even vote for their own ideas.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:03 am
@ebrown p,
Then when you say things like "Interestingly there is no such thing as McConnellcare, since Republican leaders don't seem to have any ideas of their own" you are just talking out of your ass. Good thing we figured that out.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:04 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I don't know what it is with you. I used the term "Obamacare" as a shortcut, so everyone would know about what I was writing.

Bull Pheonix.

If you wanted a short cut (rather than a cheap personal shot at a president you aren't too fond of), you would have called it HCR .

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:06 am
@ebrown p,
Enough already!!! I am sick to death of your making a mountain out of a molehill. Bye!
ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:08 am
@Phoenix32890,
See you around then.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:16 am
anybody stupid enough to believe anything that anyone says about politics, especially anything said on the internet, gets what they deserve

0 Replies

Dunnbeatable

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:13 am
@ebrown p,
Sounds like they might need some minds to mold to spew political medical propaganda. The youth is the future, so plant the seeds there.
0 Replies