Automobile mechanics

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 02:52 am
Okay, you're new in town and need to have several repairs done on your aging car, and you're a woman. What's the best type of place to take your car for repairs if you don't have referrals to rely upon?

Dealer's Repair Shop?

Various Franchise Shops?

Independent Mechanic?

How do you know you aren't being taken to the cleaners?

For instance, last year my car needed a smog check for vehicle registration. It passed without any problems. Soon after, the car started smoking very badly each time the ignition is started then it goes away. Did my car not really pass the smog check, did the mechanic do some fiddling to the smog control device or is it all just coincidence?

A few months ago, I took my car into a franchise tire shop to purchase 1 new tire. Before leaving the repair bay, they called me out to explain that they'd found nails in two of the other tires so I ended up buying 4 new ones. Oh, and my car had suddenly developed a loose wheel hub problem that needs immediate attention and the left headlight and rear turn signal (on the same side as the loose hub) burned out that same day. Coincidence or is this one of those nightmare consumer watch stories you hear about on the evening news?

Now my car is in need of a brake job and I still need to figure out what is making the car smoke when the ignition is turned on. I'm torn about where to take it for repairs considering the history I've experienced so far in this city.

I'm thinking dealer repair shop this time. What's your advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 03:29 am
Go To Wal-Mart, and go to the auto department. Buy something, and ask them, "Oh, BTW, I need my car worked on. Who do you reommend?" Surely one or two people will be referred to you. Then you can ask them for references and what not.

Might want to try the BBB too. They won't tell you who's good, but they'll tell you who's bad.

You might want to take it in and get an estimate. If it's free, I'd do this. Do it at a couple of places, and then take them to someone who's in the business, but not in that field, and ask them if it's reasonable. Say, you're getting your oil changed at JiffyLube and show them the wheel hub quote.

Just a couple of thoughts.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 04:25 am
I always have a simple rule not to get repairs done at the same place that does the rego check. It's saved me thousands.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:10 am
Butrfly, I would strongly recommend that you go to an independent shop. I'd ask some of the old timers around town for their opinion of a good shop. Stay away from places like Amoco or any of the other gas station/repair shops. They seem to charge quite a bit more for generally inferior work.

Oh, and you mentioned you might go the dealer repair route. Bad idea. Parts and labor at a dealership are astronomical.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:14 am
An Auto Parts Store that DOESN'T do work is a good place to ask around. They know who the better places are and who the crooks are.

I would never use a dealer unless the work being done is under warranty. Their work isn't any better and their prices are the highest. The chians (Walmart, Firestone, etc..) are good for oil changes, tires, brake jobs, etc.. but they generally won't do major work. An independent garage will do pretty much anything and will cost less than a dealer.

Quote:
For instance, last year my car needed a smog check for vehicle registration. It passed without any problems. Soon after, the car started smoking very badly each time the ignition is started then it goes away. Did my car not really pass the smog check, did the mechanic do some fiddling to the smog control device or is it all just coincidence?

It may just be coincidence. Something may have become a problem after the check (and if it really is only a problem at start up then you may have a bad valve seal or a choke problem..)

Here in MA they run the car for 10 or 15 minutes before ever doing the smog check because cars pollute the most when the engine is cold. That's built into the design of the cars and every mechanic out there knows that.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:37 am
Dealers usually have apprentices doing most of the work too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:58 pm
Glad I asked you folks for advice. Sounds like I was headed toward making another mistake by going to a dealer.

Firestone is the place I went to for the new tire and ended up with all the add-on repair needs. I won't be going back there again. My spider instinct was vibing all over the place that day. It just felt suspicious and I've learned to trust that feeling.

Guess I'll hang out in the parking lot of a few Kragen Auto Parts places in town looking helpless while fiddling with things under the hood and see if I can get some recommendations for an independent shop. Thanks for the great advice guys!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:04 am
Butrflynet wrote:

Guess I'll hang out in the parking lot of a few Kragen Auto Parts places in town looking helpless while fiddling with things under the hood and see if I can get some recommendations for an independent shop.

That could work. You may even get your car repaired for free. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:12 am
Quote:
I would never use a dealer unless the work being done is under warranty.

fishin'- I had an experience with "under warranty". We had two Toyotas, with extended warrantys. My husband was having problems with his car. While it was under contract, the dealer could never find anything wrong with it. But immediately after the warranty expired.........................

Now we have two Hondas! :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:26 am
Extended warranty's are a scam. I found that out. Fact is a car that's new enough to still be under dealer warranty shouldn't have anything wrong with it unless it came out of the factory with a problem.
0 Replies