Stars and Bars; How Long, O Lord?

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:01 pm
Drove into the neighborhood, avoiding the potholes, which the neighborhood committee or somebody is responsible for, but which are a chronic problem here. Ordinary mobile home community. Some homes well cared for; some in semi-disrepair, like mine. Several utterly disgraceful. And then there are the across-the-street-neighbors, who number indolent young persons and one older woman. Who they are and what they do is really none of my business, except -

My front door lines up with their front door. If I open mine, I see some of them sitting on the porch. Invariably, they turn their heads to look, and our eyes often meet. No matter that it may be midnight, or five AM, or some place in between. If they would get jobs, we might have a bit of privacy now and then.

So, anyway, I drive in, and this day on their property is a tall pole being made to stand up by a wheel assembly. Waving proudly atop it is a Confederate flag. Since these folk seem firmly ensconced, I expect me and that flag to be close for a very long time.

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:13 pm
Is it a fashion statement - or a political one/

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
@sullyfish6,
I don't intend to let them know I am aware of it. If they suspect how I feel, I suspect they will never take it down, just to retaliate.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've often thought that it was a mistake not to make display of the Stars and Bars a punishable offence. In Germany, it is strictly against the law to fly the Swastika flag of the Third Reich. Historicity has nothing to do with it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:07 am
@Merry Andrew,
I've often thought that it was a mistake not to make display of the Stars and Bars a punishable offence. In Germany, it is strictly against the law to fly the Swastika flag of the Third Reich. Historicity has nothing to do with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day that it is crime to fly the stars and bars is the day I get a very large one and fly the damn flag and I am sure that millions of others would do the same.

How dare you or anyone else for that matter made expressing a viewpoint illegal and where would you like to stop that nonsense once it is started?

Would you like to set up a commission to decide what opinions are legal to express and what opinions are illegal?

You would like to take away all our freedoms including your it would seem and thank god for the founding fathers and the courts.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:15 am
@Merry Andrew,
Oh after you make it illegal for his neighbors to fly their flag then we could pass a law concerning when they can be on their own damn porch.

How dare they enjoy being outside of thier home!

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:40 am
@edgarblythe,
If this is the flag, and Im guessing it is. This is NOT the "Stars and Bars", and this flag never served as a Confederate National Flag. It was a battle flag and was coopted by the several racists groups as their own "battle flag" for white supremacy.
There is no "Historicity " associated with this flag as a symbol of any old nationalism to the Confederacy.     http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg/200px-Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg.png

Actually the battle flag of Northern Virginia was a square version of this one. This is a Naval Jack
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:44 am
@BillRM,
So, sitting on your porch with a primarily racist flag may get you dusted up in some quarters slim.
We could take a survey. Lets give Bill a nice Confederate Battle Flag and parade him through E La.

I guess we could give him a Romulan Battle Flag, thatd be more his liking.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:44 am
http://americancivilwar.com/south/conflag/stars_ba.gif
Oops. My mistake.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Thats the first National Flag, the real "Stars and BArs". SO, while they may be rednecks, their sense of history isnt incorrect since this one was actually adopted by CSA in March '61
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If this is the flag, and Im guessing it is. This is NOT the "Stars and Bars", and this flag never served as a Confederate National Flag. It was a battle flag and was coopted by the several racists groups as their own "battle flag" for white supremacy.
There is no "Historicity " associated with this flag as a symbol of any old nationalism to the Confederacy.     http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg/200px-Confederate_Navy_Jack.svg.png

Actually the battle flag of Northern Virginia was a square version of this one. This is a Naval Jack

The flag in your picture has been the only one to survive in the popular culture. Ths Stars and Bars is actually a flag I only recall seeing images of a couple of times in my lifetime.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:00 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman a symbol is what people decided it is and the battle flag of the Confederate had as many meanings as their are people who view it.

To some it is the symbol of slavery and evil to others it is the symbol of white power in the form of the KKK and to others it is the symbol of very brave men fighting again overwhelming odds for their homes.

In any case no one have the power to declared it had one meaning and only one meaning and we have some right to ban it because we do not care for that meaning.

For myself I am happy that the north won that war and that slavery was ended however I also respect the men of the south who gave their lives in that conflict just as must a those who fought on the northern side.

I do not grant the power to the KKK or the NAACPA to tell me what that battle flag should strand for.

To me I see Lee and his men fighting a losing fight against overwhelming odds with great skill and courage and then both sides ended the conflict with a grace never before seen after a bitter civil war.

So to hell with both the KKK and the NACCPA over this matter as my right to define that flag is just as great as either one of those two groups rights to define that flag,
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:08 am
@farmerman,
Thats the first National Flag, the real "Stars and BArs". SO, while they may be rednecks, their sense of history isnt incorrect since this one was actually adopted by CSA in March '61
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And once more who care as it is currently the symbol of the south in the war between the states no matter what the history of the flag in question is or is not.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:09 am
@edgarblythe,
So which are they flying? The battle flag was co-opted by anti-segregationist forces in the 20's. The Stars and Bars has no such racist association.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:23 am
@farmerman,
We could take a survey. Lets give Bill a nice Confederate Battle Flag and parade him through E La.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So you are for mob actions to stop or kill anyone with an unpopular viewpoint?

However, it might indeed be fun to do that march with a thousand southern civil war reenactment troops in full battle gear and with a few real civil war field pieces equip with gap shots along. Oh and the battle flag.

Have you seen any large scale civil war reenactment farmerman and the wall of cold steel marching toward you with the sound of real civil war cannons firings?

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:26 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So you are for mob actions to stop or kill anyone with an unpopular viewpoint?

maybe if it was televised
snood

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:33 am
Edgar,
As you might imagine, that damnable rag is very popular here in good ole Loos-ee-ya-na. the other day on the way to work, I was going through the main post gate in line behind a pickup truck with that putrid symbol on the bumper. As I held out my ID for the guard, I muttered to her "I get so sick of seeing that damn confederate flag." Not missing a beat, she said "Yeah, and I have to smile and be nice to them, too."

I can't imagine anyone displaying that thing who isn't filled with hate (masquerading as 'pride') and abyssmally stupid. Haven't met one, anyway.

On a happier note, when I brought up seeing a lot of that symbol on vehicles to the hospital Command Sergeant Major, he stated very clearly in front of all the hospital NCOs that he would not tolerate it if he caught it being displayed by a soldier. And CSM D is a white guy.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:48 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I can't imagine anyone displaying that thing who isn't filled with hate (masquerading as 'pride') and abyssmally stupid. Haven't met one, anyway.

FWIW, I agree.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
The battle flag is the one in question, of course. There are a few well intentioned folk who think fondly of that flag, but they refuse to come to grips with the reality of it. It is one evil symbol. Flown 99.99% of the time for hateful purposes. I have as much right to be offended at the sight of it as they have to display it on their property, when it sullies the landscape so. But, as I noted early on, I am respecting their "right" in silence.

The other point: They do have the right to enjoy their porch, but here I also have the right to get annoyed. These cretins study our every move. If I prop open the door to carry in groceries, they line up to crane their necks to peer inside the house. If I come outside dressed nicely for a change, they call out to one another regarding the change. I come home after spending the night in Dallas, it is a major event to them. One frequent visitor in their home is the same young man I had jailed several years ago for attempted breaking and entering. He sometimes rides by with his friends and hollers at us, **** you." Through it all, I attempt to appear oblivious.
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:56 am
Get a thicker skin or change your main entrance to another place. Turn a window into a doorway and vice versa.
0 Replies