Stars and Bars; How Long, O Lord?

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:05 am
@BillRM,
\
Quote:
I do not grant the power to the KKK or the NAACPA to tell me what that battle flag should strand for

As I often say ," I think that you are just a bitter old man, with lots of time and not too great a gift of intelligence"

To ascribe meaning to a non-national flag (not the real stars and bars)and try to convince others that it is a symbol of pride is ludicrous. Its a racist flag and if you want to show it, youre a racist, pure and simple.
The original seven star flag that Edgar showed WAS actually established as a Confederate National flag for leass than a year till it went to a 9 star , then a 13 star flag.

FActs of history have a habit of confounding your simple ass views.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:17 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Farmerman a symbol is what people decided it is and the battle flag of the Confederate had as many meanings as their are people who view it.

To some it is the symbol of slavery and evil to others it is the symbol of white power in the form of the KKK and to others it is the symbol of very brave men fighting again overwhelming odds for their homes.

In any case no one have the power to declared it had one meaning and only one meaning and we have some right to ban it because we do not care for that meaning.
I do not grant the power to the KKK or the NAACPA to tell me what that battle flag should strand for.

In the 20's, a group of influential Southerners decided that they would use the battle flag as a symbol of their resistance to integration. For fifty years, it was used prominently as a symbol of racism, Jim Crow laws and state sanctioned oppression of the black population. They chose to use our history that way, to distort the meaning and sacrifice of those who stood under it in war to defend their homes. Now, it has come to almost universally stand for racism. Is that a proper memory for those who died under it? No, but it's naive to pretend that it stands for many different things to different people. To the vast majority of Americans, it stands for racism and if you fly it, that is going to be the message they take away from it. If that is not the message you intend to convey, why try to communicate something you know will be misunderstood? It's like saying the sky is green because you consider "green" to mean what most people consider light blue.

That said, I support the first amendment right for them to fly it on their property.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@djjd62,
maybe if it was televised
-------------------------------------------------

Can you just see the ratings a civil war equip body of rednecks in full civil war gear going up against black and latino street gangs equip with modern weapons!

Of course you could not get too many shows in the can before you ran out of street gangs.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:40 am
@DrewDad,
snood wrote:
I can't imagine anyone displaying that thing who isn't filled with hate (masquerading as 'pride') and abyssmally stupid. Haven't met one, anyway.
FWIW, I agree.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you are both wrong as wrong could be..............
McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:44 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I can't imagine anyone displaying that thing who isn't filled with hate (masquerading as 'pride') and abyssmally stupid. Haven't met one, anyway.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZZ-CqtHjAnk/Rj2wHhd0eTI/AAAAAAAAAHM/tpUXx7FjSi0/s320/DUKES_OF_HAZZARD_GENERAL_LEE_GOSSIP.jpg

Where's the hate?
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:49 am
@engineer,
No body of racists can change the fact that many hundreds of thousands of brave men die under that flag and that 99 percent of them did not own one slave.

If in some future group of people misused the US flag as a symbol of hate does that mean that we should allow them to destroy it real meaning and view it from then on as a symbol of evil?

It seem engineer that you wish to grant great power to the haters of this world.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:40 am
@BillRM,
Actually the swastika was a sanskrit symbol of peace and good fortune. Shame what happened to the symbol during the 30's and 40's. Now Bill wants to rehabilitate all similar symbols associated with hate and racism.
I dont have the time or the interest cause theyre only symbols and we can just as easily avoid using them. Bill's "liberatrian" views aside, if a third of AMericans think the Confederate battle flag/Navy JAck (which was NOT the CSA symbology "national" flag) is a symbol of evil, it IS a symbol of evil. Youre not showing us that youre a free thinking intellectual giant here. Youre just some kind of denier of fact.

As far as flying it, noone has any right to interfere, except in the market of public opinion. If I were so inclined, theres nothing to stop me from hanging a complementary sign across from Edgars neighbors (had I lived there) which said
"YOURE A RACIST JERK, AND YOU NEED DENTAL WORK"

Even though its a constitutional guarantee s a right, Id be inviting personal attacks from the redneck contingent.

As far as your analogies to civil war reenactors, youre still precious , even though the analogy is irrelevant and silly.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Aint I a little dickens?? Im home alone this day and am just busy seeing if the bass are biting.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:08 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman I do not care how many middle east muslins think that a woman need to cover her whole body and need to go out only with a male family member none do I care how many fools think that the battle flag of the CSA only strand for what the KKK said it did in the 1920s.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:14 am
The Confederate battle flag is a racist symbol only to racists, demagogues and dummies.

You're none of those edgar. I wouldn't pay it no mind.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:36 am
@panzade,
Quote:
The Confederate battle flag is a racist symbol only to racists, demagogues and dummies.
I hope that Im not any of the above and I find it racist. Ive got family in the Tobolsky graveyard at Treblinka, They were "worthless Polak pigs of inferior breeding and JEws"

I assume youre a southerner who looks at the Battle Flag as symbol of a community "separate from that other one". No matter how you try to put on the coat opf honor to the symbol, its racist from a purely objective POV.
panzade

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
@farmerman,
you wanna play the Relatives In The Crematoriums game FM? I'll see you and raise you...cause that has nothing to do with a stupid Rebel flag.

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman,

What is a "a purely objective POV"?

You lost me with that phrase.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:31 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
No body of racists can change the fact that many hundreds of thousands of brave men die under that flag and that 99 percent of them did not own one slave.

They can actually.

Meanings change. "Gay" used to mean "happy".

Eight Words Which Have Completely Changed Their Meaning Over Time

Quote:
Artificial

This originally meant ‘full of artistic or technical skill’. Now its meaning has a very different slant.
Nice

This comes from the Latin ‘not to know’. Originally a ‘nice person’ was someone who was ignorant or unaware.
Awful

This meant ‘full of awe’ i.e. something wonderful, delightful, amazing. However, over time it has evolved to mean exactly the opposite.
Brave

This once was used to signify cowardice. Indeed, its old meaning lives on in the word ‘bravado’.
Manufacture

From the Latin meaning ‘to make by hand’ this originally signified things that were created by craftsmen. Now the opposite, made by machines, is its meaning.
Counterfeit

This once meant a perfect copy. Now it means anything but.
Prove

Originally this meant to test. The old meaning survives in the phrase ‘proving ground’.
Tell

Its original meaning was ‘to count’. Which is how we came by the term ‘bank teller’.

BillRM wrote:
If in some future group of people misused the US flag as a symbol of hate does that mean that we should allow them to destroy it real meaning and view it from then on as a symbol of evil?

It is viewed as a symbol of evil in many parts of the world. Fortunately, it's not the overwhelming meaning, like racism has become for the Confederate Battle Flag.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:50 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

snood wrote:
FWIW, I agree.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you are both wrong as wrong could be..............

Bullshit Bill is at it again.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:06 pm
@panzade,
It has all to do with the symbol thereof. Youve confused the confederate states of America with the Post reconstruction symbol "Hacking" of the same battle flag. Just as the swastika was originally a sign of peace, the battle flag represented a nation that, lost a war, and was reunited with the country from which it seceeded. What happns later by actions of the Democrats and (later still) the Conservative Republicans has done dishonor to what that battle flag did originally represent.

NO SIR, its you whose confused.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:08 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
You lost me with that phrase.

Purely objective is that as evidenced into history. You deny them?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:11 pm
I said what I meant and I meant what I said: I oppose them and their flag 100%. But I believe it is unnecessary for me to take up any action against them, not even the sneaky and/or passive/aggressive sort. These kind of losers (did you notice I used just one "o"?) always end up having to leave for lack of rent money or for some other legal cause.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:13 pm
They sound like dangerous neighbours. Can you build a fence?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:14 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

snood wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZZ-CqtHjAnk/Rj2wHhd0eTI/AAAAAAAAAHM/tpUXx7FjSi0/s320/DUKES_OF_HAZZARD_GENERAL_LEE_GOSSIP.jpg

Where's the hate?

A romanticised portrayal that has no bearing on the situation as it exists on the ground. You just want to ogle Daisy anyway.