Stars and Bars; How Long, O Lord?

msolga

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Anyone in the way is invited to "love it or leave it."

No, I actually think this minority is simply expressing their own frustration & dissatisfaction by blaming others (like the "foreigners" who "take their jobs") for the circumstances they find themselves in. When it is most likely, at least to some extent, government policies which have led to their circumstances & their grievances. We currently have a "Labor" government which is not exactly responsive to the predicament of those at the bottom of the pile.

But anyway, edgar, this thread is not about Oz politics, so let's get back to your neck of the woods. Do you think your neighbour's flag raising thing was directly aimed at you, somehow?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Anyone in the way is invited to "love it or leave it."
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL and look what happen when the south did try to leave it!!!!!!!!!

Second your claimed right and farmerman claimed right to define what a battle flag mean for all of us, is of the same nature as the fools who demand you veiw the world and love the country in the same manner as they or leave the country.

You had proven at least to me that you think the same way as the far right love or leave the country crowth.

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:02 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You had proven at least to me that you think the same way as the far right love or leave the country crowth
When you began losing it your "argument" has gotten more far reaching. Now you are stupidly trying to accuse others of being the very racists that this flag covers. Please Lets try to keep to the topic so you dont disappear up your own asshole in a cloud of irrelevancies. Youre just being silly with all that reflected rhetoric anyway.

You seem to be trying to justify that the racists and biker criminals are really "honourable" people who are merely proud of their southern heritage. You do understand that you can be proud of your heritage (AS per SOuthern PRIDE days in various states) without resorting to symbology that has clearly been coopted by these racists and criminals. You seem to want to turn a blind eye to those facts. I dont accuse you of being a racist or a "love it or leave it" type, thatd be silly on my part. SO, similarly, why not Try to keep your arguments on a higher plane and talk about my logic and please refrain from assigning these "conspiratorial" motives to someone when you are merely getting panicky about the lack of rigour in your own logic

You seem a bit arrogant and not the least bit informed about how symbology works (especially 150 years after the fact). You have made statements that are clearly historically untrue (Such as that the ANV battle flag (no. 3) was a flag universally used in the CSA . This is bullshit and you may wish to become better informed of that key point of your argument.

It appears to me that most of the SOuth has gotten past the events of the Civil War and ( more importantly)reconstruction

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:33 am
farmerman's last statement about covers it, bill. You are merely distorting my statements to keep the discussion going, when, basically, it's all over.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Lord both you and farmerman feel free to declared that the only meaning of the flag in question is a racist one and that can only be that meaning.

Your world view is the only meaning that should be allow and a civil war
re-enactment group in Homestead Florida for example should therefore not be allow to march in a parade honoring our military history with this flag.

Sorry a civil war re-enactment group is not the KKK and marching with that flag in southern civil war gear is not a racist statement one way or another, in my opinion.

You are the same as the groups you claim to hate as you demand the right to imposed your opinion on the rest of us just like them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:15 am
@BillRM,
"
You are the same as the groups you claim to hate as you demand the right to imposed your opinion on the rest of us just like them.
"

We are not the ones that imposed hate on that flag. Look to the idiots you are defending for the truth in that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
I think Ill bow out arguing with Bill the Clown. He keeps slamming his head against the wall hoping that something new will pop out. So far, same ole ****.

Next time Billy, when you go to a battlefield reenactment find out whos in charge and what they were trying to accomplish. Im sure that the reenactment had to do purely with something about "H-I-S-T-O-R-Y", not Southern or Northern pride. The reenactors stage the event for the purpose of historical connection , not to recapture some Confederacy salad days.
snood

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think Ill bow out arguing with Bill the Clown. He keeps slamming his head against the wall hoping that something new will pop out. So far, same ole ****.

Next time Billy, when you go to a battlefield reenactment find out whos in charge and what they were trying to accomplish. Im sure that the reenactment had to do purely with something about "H-I-S-T-O-R-Y", not Southern or Northern pride. The reenactors stage the event for the purpose of historical connection , not to recapture some Confederacy salad days.

I think they keep reenacting it in the hope that one of these days it'll come out differently...
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Yes fool, all those middle people are spending thousands of dollars and even 10s of thousands of dollars re-enacting civil war battles with no pride in both sides and are completely disinterested in their own family tree and only going for the history.

Hell I will even tell that to a friend of mine who spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 thousands for a real civil war field piece just to start with and who can tell you in details all the members of his family tree who fought in that war.

Fool and a silly fool at that.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 12:11 pm
@snood,
think they keep reenacting it in the hope that one of these days it'll come out differently...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even the northers reenacters?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:06 pm
Personally, I don't give a crap how many times they reenact the war. I am concerned only with that racist flag.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
am concerned only with that racist flag.
---------------------------------------------

Lord you and farmerman added together would have an IO somewhere near freezing water in the f scale.

Racist flag my rear end.
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
Here we go with the IQ wishs again. Ive heard that people who bring up insults regarding IQ or weight or hair, are those people who themselves are deficient in those very commodities.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
@BillRM,
Well, here we are at the "is too" "Is not" "is too" "is not" level of discussion. Have a good one, bill.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 06:36 pm
It's Gone

A while ago, I was pulling weeds and cutting back my banana trees, when I noted a young man kneeling at the base of the Confederate flag. Since they have had to constantly adjust it to keep the rag flying, my thoughts were along the lines of, "I would like to get that thing moved back a ways from the street, at least." It was about five inches away from the pavement, as near my property as it could be placed. I took some banana plant remains around to the burn pile. When I came back, the man and flag were nowhere in sight. In fact, there was a van backed near the house and it was getting loaded up. So far, I don't believe the whole gang is leaving, but some are. A few weeks back, the electric service was disconnected over there. For about three days they kept a generator running. The purpose of the generator, an acquaintance of theirs supposedly informed certain of the neighbors, was to support a meth lab. I don't know enough about the process, but I believe it is so. Anyway, I feel much better tonight.
panzade

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I do too. Thank goodness.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:34 pm
@panzade,
A thing like that makes me more aware of the stuff people of color have to put up with.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:30 pm
Those people across the way started a huge fire by the road. It looked like all pine needles and the like, but it was not purely that. I was sitting at my desk when I thought I smelled possible electric burn. Went through the house with no results. My wife smelled it too. Then I opened the door to find our entire house engulfed in their smoke. I went to the back yard and worked on a trellis for a new grape vine, fretting and arguing the need to call the fire department. About then, I heard a siren and immediately knew some neighbor had beaten me to it. I looked around past the house to see the truck stop next to the fire. The young men responsible kept looking at me, signalling I was to be blamed for the call. Which is fine. I no longer care how they feel about anything.
0 Replies