DO DOGS HAVE SENSE OF TELEPATHY ?

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:17 am

DO DOGS HAVE SENSE OF TELEPATHY ?

I remember my German Shepherd and my Irish Setter puppies
repeatedly playing tug-of-war together with a rope thay found in my back yard.

Thay had to communicate any decision to pick up n tug @ end.

WHATAYATHINK ?

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No, they don't. They're just smart and very observant of patterns.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:12 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Well, if 1 dog is just smart and very observant of patterns
how does she get the other dog to pick up a rope and tug it ?
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
why does it require telepathy for two dogs to tug on a rope. ITs what they do. Ever see two hyenas tug on a piece of carrion?

(Actually they were trying to get rid of it before they got on a plane because they knew that it was a ;

ready?

NO CARRION FLIGHT
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
why does it require telepathy for two dogs to tug on a rope.
U think thay used the Morse Code?

Quote:
ITs what they do.
As a scientist, u know that is not an explanation of HOW thay do it.

Quote:
Ever see two hyenas tug on a piece of carrion?
I never did.

(Actually they were trying to get rid of it before they got on a plane because they knew that it was a ;

Quote:
ready?
Ready.

Quote:

NO CARRION FLIGHT
Got it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
two dogs are walking along and one finds a rope and starts to drag it, the other dog sees this and reasons that if his buddy wants this thing it must be worth having so he grabs the other end and tries to tug it his way, pretty soon you got a tug of war, that's the way i see that situation playing out

same with the hyenas, better to tug on the other end of leg of some animal than attack the other hyena for it, chances are you'll get some meat and not have to fight for it
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Ive got two doggies, a catahoula and a Birder Collie, both very "visual" dogs. My catahoula (Ernie) will grab a piece of bailer twine from a fence post (we keep little caches of bailer twine on various posts to provide us emergency "Hunks" of rope ). ERnie will go running aroun d with the twine in his mouth till the Border Collie (Stasha) takes up the challenge and she goes after the rope that ERnie is teasing her with. She ultimately catches up (or Ernie lets her, ) and they turn it into a great tug of war with growls and sounds like theyre in a major battle. AFter several minutes of unrelenting tug and pull and rolling in the pasture, they tire of it and then move on to some other bit of game playing, (like "knock over the sheep until boss gets really pissed and then run into the back porch where they get their feet wiped and get a treat freom the soft touch Mrs F").
I dont think telepathy is needed. Otherwise Stasha would get the rope first and then bury it no?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:20 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

two dogs are walking along and one finds a rope and starts to drag it, the other dog sees this and reasons that if his buddy wants this thing it must be worth having so he grabs the other end and tries to tug it his way, pretty soon you got a tug of war, that's the way i see that situation playing out

same with the hyenas, better to tug on the other end of leg of some animal than attack the other hyena for it, chances are you'll get some meat and not have to fight for it
I was present when it happened.
What I saw is the @ pooch picked up an end of the rope n pulled it; no dragging. Good try, tho.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive got two doggies, a catahoula and a Birder Collie, both very "visual" dogs. My catahoula (Ernie) will grab a piece of bailer twine from a fence post (we keep little caches of bailer twine on various posts to provide us emergency "Hunks" of rope ). ERnie will go running aroun d with the twine in his mouth till the Border Collie (Stasha) takes up the challenge and she goes after the rope that ERnie is teasing her with. She ultimately catches up (or Ernie lets her, ) and they turn it into a great tug of war with growls and sounds like theyre in a major battle. AFter several minutes of unrelenting tug and pull and rolling in the pasture, they tire of it and then move on to some other bit of game playing, (like "knock over the sheep until boss gets really pissed and then run into the back porch where they get their feet wiped and get a treat freom the soft touch Mrs F").
I dont think telepathy is needed. Otherwise Stasha would get the rope first and then bury it no?
No, the first pup wants to play tug-of-war and knows she
can 't do it alone. Thay were very direct and to the point,
together at the same time. No fooling around.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Well I don't know. But if I had to come up with a bunch of possible theories, telepathy wouldn't be one of them, any more than "talking fleas" telling them what to do would be.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:22 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Well I don't know. But if I had to come up with a bunch of possible theories,
telepathy wouldn't be one of them, any more than "talking fleas"
telling them what to do would be.

My thoughts of telepathy are supplemented by the frequently repeated fact,
in my experience, forthcoming from different animals,
that I as sat or stood quiet and motionless, (not staring at any animal)
I thought (at random times of the evening) maybe I shoud feed Mike, whereupon
he raises his head up as tho he heard a dinner bell and approaches me.

That has also happened with cats.

On many occasions, he was out of sight in another room,
and I abruptly hear him and his collar arising from the floor.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
I dont know about telepathy...but my 2 dogs Jak the rotty and Poppy the foxy are a very clever pair....They argue over their blanket constantly and they are insperable, Jak will take their blanket out of the dog kennel and drag it around all day following the sun as soon as Jak gets up to take a drink Poppy will steal it and drag it off another direction and sprawl all over it, then they argue, he barks at her and she snaps back and this continues all day, strangest thing of all is that they put it back into their kennel every night for bed time...
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:45 pm
@KiwiChic,
The "telepathy" part is that both dogs know it pisses off the other.

If my dogs are telepathic why do we still have attacks by packs of dogs and coyotes at our farm? Why dont they intercede early?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:49 pm
@KiwiChic,
Quote:
I dont know about telepathy...but my 2 dogs Jak the rotty and Poppy the foxy are a very clever pair....They argue over their blanket constantly and they are insperable, Jak will take their blanket out of the dog kennel and drag it around all day following the sun as soon as Jak gets up to take a drink Poppy will steal it and drag it off another direction and sprawl all over it, then they argue, he barks at her and she snaps back and this continues all day, strangest thing of all is that they put it back into their kennel every night for bed time...

Too bad you don't follow them around with a camera and post the edited highlights on YouTube. That'd be a sight to see.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If my dogs are telepathic why do we still have attacks by packs of dogs and coyotes at our farm? Why dont they intercede early?

Maybe your dogs are trying to stay like Switzerland ... neutral to the invading dogs and coyotes? Wink
High Seas

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
To "intercede early" (Farmerman's term) means crossing your own border to move to fend off potential attackers some distance from your border, i.e. what Germany calls "forward defense" (Vorneverteidigung). Swiss defense starts at the border precisely, but nobody knows how it would work out in practice because the country hasn't had to fight off an attacker since 1291.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah it would be a laugh, I have a vege garden that Poppy loves to get into and trample all over my veges so I found chicken wire out in my garage and I secured it, well at least I thought I had secured the perimeter of the veg patch....after a few weeks of Poppy staring through the wire I swear she came up with a plot to get in there, as from my window I just happened to catch Jak charging the fence and Poppy racing underneath the open gap into my garden!...I go roaring outside like a lunatic and the pair do the dissapearing act to their kennel......little buggars!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:58 pm
I don't think either dogs or cats are psychic. Little kids will fight over one toy in a room full of distractions. They will both find the toy at the same time and it's game on. Same thing as dogs with rope.
Several times in my life, I've scared the beejeebers out of both cats and dogs, didn't mean too... While sitting on a step or a chair, in the dark, I have called out to an unsuspecting animal as it approached only to watch them jump back in fear, some have even run away howling. Just like a human would. It's kind of funny.
(I'm not really that repulsive. mmmmwahhhhh!!!)
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 02:03 pm
@Ceili,
Laughing
0 Replies