mm25075

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I blow them kisses Smile

The looks of shock I get crack me up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:23 pm
Oddly - I guess very oddly - when I say 'how are you', I mean it.

'Have a nice day' used to drive me nuts, but I'm over it now.

All this reminds me that my mother always used to ask, ' were there many people there?', a kind of stock in trade question. When I was nineteen that irritated me.
Now the memory makes me wistful.
Izzie

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Guess I'm odd too Osso - I mean it too.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 06:19 pm
@Izzie,
I just read a brain curdling article in the New Yorker about a blogger re Hollywood news. I've got to say, what a snake. But - on the other hand - she fits in with a lot of that world - not all - which I'm somewhat familiar with. So, in that milieu, 'how are you?', if they ever say it, is palaver.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
@Gala,
Quote:
There are people out there who truly care,

And you won't find them because they're out doing something to show they care, not just verbally "feeling one's pain."
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:31 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Agreed, but how do these people deal in ordinary conversation?

I have my own biases against people I knew who worked themselves into models of this or that person (Anais Nin, for example) - and modeling is almost a routine.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
Empty phrases (that must be accompanied by furtive glances to the side and in back of you to see if there's anything more interesting than you in the room):

What's up?
What's new?
How are you?
How's the family?
How are you feeling?
Nice weather, huh?
Can I help you?
Did you find everything you needed in the store?
Have a nice day.
Have a good time.
Be careful.
Drive safely.
So what have you been doing?

roger

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:18 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

That one! Like, you're going to run off and find my can of pork and beans, with 10 people behind me, waiting to check out?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:05 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

sullyfish6 wrote:

That one! Like, you're going to run off and find my can of pork and beans, with 10 people behind me, waiting to check out?
well yeah, that's kinda my point, saying things that are essentially just social/political/business bullshit. The thing is when I shop at the little Brooks market just down the street they actually do run off and find my requested can of pork and beans which brings me back to my original point that saturation of bullshit makes the actual and sincere comments disregarded. Roger once asked me how I was doing and I believe he listened to my response with truly felt concern. when it comes to "have a nice day" I usually just say "I'll have to check my agenda and get back to you on that"
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:07 pm
@dyslexia,
roger is just a good actor, that's all!
dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
well of course, the fact that he's also deaf adds to his believability.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys - have you thought through all the alternative options? Mark Twain did, and shuddered Smile
Quote:
As regards that time that George Washington told the truth, a word must be said, of course. It is the principal jewel in the crown of America, and it is but natural that we should work it for all it is worth, as Milton says in his 'Lay of the Last Minstrel.' It was a timely and judicious truth, and I should have told it myself in the circumstances. But I should have stopped there. It was a stately truth, a lofty truth-- a Tower; and I think it was a mistake to go on and distract attention from its sublimity by building another Tower alongside of it fourteen times as high. I refer to his remark that he 'could not lie.' I should have fed that to the marines; or left it to Carlyle; it is just in his style. It would have taken a medal at any European fair, and would have got an honourable mention even at Chicago if it had been saved up. But let it pass; the Father of his Country was excited. I have been in those circumstances, and I recollect....

http://mark-twain.classic-literature.co.uk/the-man-that-corrupted-hadleyburg-and-other-stories/ebook-page-28.asp
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:37 am
@dyslexia,
You're figuring out now that most people are phony and don't give a ****?
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:42 am
@Gala,
The beauty is to find the ones far and in between who do care, but they're
usually not the ones who are overly expressive with empty phrases.
0 Replies