Oppression: Why give a damn.

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:41 pm
Stop wasting time worrying about oppression and repression because there's much more important and better things you can do with your very limited time. People choose to be oppressed because its much easier to accept and live happily than to fight it, which also leads no where. Oppression is defined as being forcefully limited by actions of an outside force. Well, this applies generally to everything we do. Consider this example:

You have to go to work. Why? To make money to support yourself/family. Would you choose to go to work if you did not need to? No, you wouldn't. If you argue that you like working, that's bullshit, because 99% of the people on this planet are doing jobs they don't want to do. Unless you're that 1% you're lying to yourself and youre lying to me. (a stranger). If you really loved your job you'd have no vacation days and would be at work everyday. When you love something you'd do it as much as you can, just like if you were married to the love of your life...same action applies. Since you're forced to do something you probably don't want to do, you're technically oppressed.

Another example: Most people would love the opportunity to fly without an airplane or flying vehicle. Well, we're oppressed by gravity. That asshole is using its gravitational FORCE to FORCEFULLY keep us grounded to this planet. We even spend billions of dollars to try and escape its force....talk about the cost of oppression here. In this case, its not really a choice here.

Bottom line is...especially for all you OCCUPY supporters out there....oppression is going to exist regardless of what happens. Theres not enough money around the world to go around. I even did a rough calculation, and if we were to split the entire worlds wealth into each and every person, everyone would be left with 1000$/head. So to all you occupy people, stop crying over something that can't be fixed. The only way I would take you seriously is if you give half your **** to the less fortunate. Otherwise, stop blaming the rich for your failures. Yeah , sure they are rich...but a lot of the time, there is hard work behind it. People don't make it to the top out of sheer luck. Get back to work...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,413 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:09 am
@crayon851,
Crayon!!!

Welcome bavk to a2k. D'ja know your 'power to end a thread' thread is still going strong? Many of us have been wondering what happened to you.
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:57 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The real Crayon is dead.
Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 01:48 am
@dlowan,
Seems like the genune article to me, deb. It's himself.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:07 am
@crayon851,
Why give a damn ?.....it's called "empathy" or "being human".
It's part of the price you pay for having the cognitive ability for being able to plan, and even to post on this forum ! Of course there are limits to the efficacy of subsequent actions but the perception of this is also part of the price !
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 10:12 am
@crayon851,
So, you're saying we should all just be mindless slaves? Sorry, but I'd rather not. And before you accuse me of sitting on my ass and doing nothing about it, know that I'm working my ass off to change my current lot.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 06:47 pm
@everyone
Hey! yeah it has been a while! I'm back in school now after spending 4 years in the army... what an experience that was!

@Fresco: So are you offering a solution to the problem or just saying we should continue to try to fix something that can't be fixed? Yes, we are human and just because we have empathy, that doesn't mean we should waste time on something that can't be fixed, like inequality. Don't you think we should be spending our time working on things that can be fixed?

@Rex: I don't know what it is you're doing to solve any of the problems, but I assure you its for selfish reasons. If people do things for selfish reasons, thats just as bad as people doing things for themselves.

Oppression is always going to exist, so just enjoy the good aspects of it. You can't deny that it doesn't bring individuality or difference of opinion. Its existence allows for us to exercise our cognitive abilities. Unless you'd be happier with everyone just being the same gender, colour, intellect, etc.
roger

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 06:50 pm
@crayon851,
Oh yeah, Army. Wouldn't trade the experience for almost anything. Wouldn't do it again for a million dollars.
crayon851

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:45 am
@roger,
I'm still doing it...Canadian army isn't that bad. It's paying for part of my tuition as long as I'm in the reserves. I'd do it for a million dollars.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:45 am
@crayon851,
crayon851 wrote:
Rex: I don't know what it is you're doing to solve any of the problems, but I assure you its for selfish reasons. If people do things for selfish reasons, thats just as bad as people doing things for themselves.

Shhh! Don't let OmSigDAVID hear you say that.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:10 am
@crayon851,
The issue you are avoiding is how to measure what can or can't be "fixed". Some would say ( and I'm not particularly one of them) that even a single life altered is worth the effort.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:45 am
@crayon851,
I should add that you are aware of avoiding that issue but you need to live with "yourself". That is why you post a self-valedictory argument here , because ironically you are looking for social support to bolster a theoretically anti-social argument. It's an attempt to reduce cognitive dissonance and is illustrated (and hence reified) by the adage "charity begins at home".
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:07 am
@crayon851,
Okay, yeah, so it's for myself. But think about this: (as originally pointed out by fresco) I can barely afford to help myself, so how can anyone reasonably expect me to be able to help others?

Not all of us was blessed with access to nearly unlimited resources.
0 Replies