How do I leave the church?

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:36 am
How do I leave the church?
Count me out! Take a stand for church-state separation

How?

In order to formally leave the church you need to complete a "Declaration of Defection" form. We have automated this process so that, in 3 steps and with only simple details, we can produce all the required documentation. We also generate an accompanying cover letter that you are free to alter as you see fit. Alternatively, you can download a blank PDF http://www.countmeout.ie/samples/DeclarationOfDefection.pdf or HTML copy http://www.countmeout.ie/samples/DeclarationOfDefection.htm of the form and fill it in yourself.

The defection process is as follows:
1. Click the button on the right and complete the 3 step process. Only basic information is required;

2. Download & print the documents and fill in the remaining personal details;

3. If you have access to your birth or baptismal certificates you may want to include a photocopy, along with a copy of your photo ID;

4. Post or fax the completed documents to the diocese address or fax number that we provide (or find your diocese details here);

5. It will be noted in the baptismal register of your parish of birth that you have "Defected". Following this, you may receive confirmation that your request has been processed (why not send us a copy? All of your personal details will be blanked out);

6. You have now formally defected from the church.

Why would someone want to perform this act? Read some of our reasons or find out the implications of performing a defection and the answers to the most common queries in our Frequently Asked Questions.

http://www.countmeout.ie/how/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 8
No top replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
You're Irish?
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:04 am
@George,
George wrote:

You're Irish?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:17 pm
I followed a different route. I just said "this sucks" and I left. Now I am a Buddhist and I have no regrets.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@NickFun,
I hear a Diet of Worms does the trick nicely.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 04:03 pm
I had a choice. I could have walked out the front door, the side door or even gone through one of the windows.

I chose the front door and never looked back.

And, if it means anything, I'm half Irish and it was a catholic church.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:34 pm
No, no, you folks don't understand. Your'e messing up S&C's entire premise which is that, if you wish to leave the church (any church), you must use the internet to do so. Anything less would be so...so...so 20th century.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 06:13 am
Just slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan.
You don't need to be coy, Roy.
Just listen to me.
Hop on the bus, Gus.
You don't need to discuss much.
Just drop off the key, Lee,
And get yourself free.
Lightwizard