Why do women talk ALL the time?

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:17 am
@Cyracuz,
I'll use the example that Barack Obama never shuts up. The local radio station, the male personalities talk all the time, I've had to stop listening because the non-stop chatter makes me nutty. Come to think of it, talk radio...well, you get the point.

So I have a question. Are you referring to a specific woman? Or is this a more general statement?

I've gotten to the point at work where I avoid this one guy because he'll engage me in the most mundane conversation and I can't take it.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:16 am
What? I don't talk a lot.

Do you think I talk a lot? Why on earth would you think that?

I know that I probably talk more than my mother but she doesn't talk very much. So what is your definition of "a lot?" Is that like 10 minutes a day? 20 minutes a day? 30 minutes a day?

Does it have to be straight through? I mean I can talk for a long time in one sitting but on average I would say I don't talk a lot more than the guy in the cube next to me. Man sometimes he can go on and on and on about that football game on Sunday.....

Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:17 am
@mm25075,
Cute . . . you have a wonderful sense of humor . . .
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:45 am
I understand where Cyrcuz is coming from. And I wish those contending that women do not talk all the time would stop lying.

But I never really wondered about it. I just figured it was because men don't listen: for it then follows that women should talk more to increase the chances their words will penetrate our thick skulls.
Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:58 am
Garg wrote:
to increase the chances their words will penetrate our thick skulls.

I'm pondering the desirability of such..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:04 am
@Gargamel,
I'm sorry . . . what did you say?
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:37 am
@Gargamel,
Oh so I suppose I have to repeat myself as no one has addressed my questions yet.

Please won't someone tell me what their definition of "a lot" is? It's spelled A L O T. How many minutes a day is that? It's a perfectly valid question! I mean seriously!

What is the number of words someone must speak in a day to qualify as a lot? Inquiring female minds NEED to know so we can accurately identify ourselves! Come on!

Very Happy
Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
@mm25075,
A lot means that, in average, a woman takes a breath every twenty words..

Also, she pauses, 0.5 seconds to switch to another topic..

But those, of course, are the moderate ones...
Gala

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:49 am
@Gargamel,
Quote:
And I wish those contending that women do not talk all the time would stop lying.

Another topic heading for the turd pile.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:58 am
@Francis,
Ok, then based on that definition..this woman does not meet the qualifcation of 'talking a lot' That actually puts me in one of the lower quartiles. Smile

*Goes back to letting the men chat it up*
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:01 pm
@Francis,
A lot of insightful wisdom here Very Happy

Another thing that amazes me about how women talk all the time is the level of detail they can go into on any subject whatsoever... Such a simple thing as hair... Style, length and so on.. ok I get that. But once I heard a woman talk for nearly 2 hours about her hair... I am amazed at how much thought goes into such matters....
ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm
@Cyracuz,
I'm curious where you find these Cathy's of yours.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Just go out, pick a random direction... u can't miss them.

This particular one was at a party... She went on and on... even became irritated when she got interrupted... :O
mm25075

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
@Cyracuz,
My soon-to-be ex does that. He has long hair..maybe you thought he was a gal.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:10 pm
@sullyfish6,
Ceili wrote:
This is as stupid as asking why men like to scratch their units.

It's because we can't get anyone else to do it for us.

sullyfish6 wrote:

A better question is;
Why don't men talk enough?

Because we're too busy scratching our units.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:22 pm
Good to know... good to know.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:31 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Another thing that amazes me about how women talk all the time is the level of detail they can go into on any subject whatsoever... Such a simple thing as hair... Style, length and so on.. ok I get that. But once I heard a woman talk for nearly 2 hours about her hair... I am amazed at how much thought goes into such matters....

I think you could've titled this thread: Why do vapid people talk ALL the time.

How come you're in the vicinity of someone who goes on and on about her hair? Were you on a plane or something? Are you exaggerating?
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:50 pm
@Gala,
Like I said. It was a party. I wasn't the one she was talking too. And it may be a slight exaggeration. But she went on for ages.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 02:01 pm
@mm25075,
I'm more interested in "holding the stage" versus how many total minutes. Those memorable male talkers of my experience seemed - generality - really got into floor holding. Another generality is that my female associates will give up the floor, if reluctantly, to further conversation... faster than males.

I've no idea if that perception is true in a general way, or just borne of memorable experience, which stood out at the time.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I have a tee shirt that says
"my Wife says I dont listen to her, or something like that"
My tee shirt says: "My guns won 't let me HAVE a wife."