JP DENIES INTERACIAL COUPLE MARRAIGE LISCENSE

aidan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:11 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Listen guys. If you let people marry outside of their race, then the next thing you know people are going to try and marry their dogs or marry their microwaves.

Marriage has never been defined this way.

This is about protecting families.

Laughing Laughing - (marrying microwaves...that's good)

No, but I have a question - especially coming after what I just read Eorl stating on another thread (and agree with with a caveat - I'd add the phrase- 'most people'):
Quote:
we only respect the beliefs of others that are compatible with or at least do not directly conflict with our own.

and in view of all the wonderful comments given the ten year old refusing to stand and say the pledge because he was honoring his own beliefs (again which I agree with)-
How is what this guy is saying and doing any different than that? And how is it wrong?

I'm not saying his impressions or beliefs are correct- but I don't think that what he has observed in his life can be so easily discarded outright.
I'd love to talk further with him about it - but how is it wrong for him to take a stand about what he believes but perfectly fine and applauded when others do it?

At least he told the truth and didn't hold his nose and just do it while looking down on the couple with his hand out for the fee.
At least he's given them the option of being married by someone who believes in what they're doing as much as they do.

Sglass

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:22 am
Aidan there
roger

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:23 am
@aidan,
I'm guessing that JPs are public employees, and that makes all the difference.

Maybe it doesn't make any difference at all. A restaurant couldn't decline to serve a mixed racial couple, could it?
roger

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:24 am
@Sglass,
Yep. She's there, alright.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:29 am
Aidan, this couple, or couples had their civil rights violated based on the JP's bias. The JP is a bigot. Period.
aidan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:30 am
@roger,
Quote:
I'm guessing that JPs are public employees, and that makes all the difference.

Yeah - that might be so.

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't make any difference at all. A restaurant couldn't decline to serve a mixed racial couple, could it?

I've been told that, at least here in England, the proprietor of a restaurant can choose not to serve whomever s/he chooses not to serve for any reason.

I don't know the statutes or anything - but that's what I've been told- but yeah - if this guy is working for the state instead of a private church or something - that'd be a different story. Maybe he will get fired.

But what I'm saying, being a white person who married a black person - is that I'd appreciate the guys honesty. Why would I want to get married by someone who's standing there saying the words looking at me like I was a piece of crap and about to make the biggest mistake of my life.
I'd be happy that he told me the truth so I could find someone else who was actually going to mean the words he was saying to me and my intended.

And I do think it's hypocritical for people to say - 'Good job - you're standing up for your beliefs (and mine) but on the other hand say - 'You're standing up for your beliefs but their not mine - so you're a piece of crap.'

aidan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:33 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
Aidan, this couple, or couples had their civil rights violated based on the JP's bias. The JP is a bigot. Period.

Yeah - you're apparently right. Maybe I'll send him some pictures of my suffering interracial kids (I'm being sarcastic- they have very nice lives) - that'll at least have maybe some impact and teach him a little more than saying - 'He's pond scum and a bigot period...'

I just believe people can believe what they want to believe.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:40 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I've been told that, at least here in England, the proprietor of a restaurant can choose not to serve whomever s/he chooses not to serve for any reason.

Not in the US. Of all things, they even have to accomodate the handicapped, especially in regards to parking spaces and restrooms.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:40 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
Aidan there

Do you guys always talk about people as if they're not there or deserving of respect when they are?
Maybe I have to agree with you to get personal respect but by all means, let's make sure everyone's civil rights are respected.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:48 am
@aidan,
I do not recall having ever intentionally treated you disrespectfully. Certainly, we may have disagreed.
aidan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:53 am
@roger,
No roger - I was talking about it being said, 'Aidan there' as if I were some sort of object without eyes, ears, or feelings to be spoken about to someone else as if I weren't there when it was obvious that I was right there.

I found that belittling of my thoughts and rude. But nevermind...yes, you've always treated me respectfully, even when we've disagreed. And I appreciate that. Thank you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:28 am
The man is free to believe anything he wants. But, his office is not.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The man is free to believe anything he wants. But, his office is not.

Exactly. This man is willing to take money from the state but will not serve all citizens equally. He is just as much a hypocrite if he refuses to discharge his duties 100% of the time -- that's the deal, that's his job. He should quit.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:32 am
The group think here is impressive, but you all have got this completely wrong.

This man is the boy refusing to stand up for the pledge. Yes, we cheer when a grade school kid refuses to participate in a ritual he doesn't agree with. And we are impressed with the ability to resist the pressure of social expectation. But then, when this boy becomes an adult and refuses to participate in a ritual he doesn't agree with-- we get upset?

I don't understand the need of people here to crush anyone who dares to hold a belief they don't share. This man is doing no harm-- to society or to anyone else. There is no reason to force him to act against his conscience.

We either accept diversity and respect people with different opinions, or we quite pretending to believe in freedom.

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:39 am
@ebrown p,
i think your wrong, there is no law which says the boy has to say the pledge

there are clearly defined laws about who can and cannot get married, and his job is to uphold those laws not define them by his own personal prejudice
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
@djjd62,
Quite wrong djjd,

There is a law that says that the pledge shall be said in schools every morning. The law doesn't mandate that this kid has to participate.

There is a law saying that inter-racial couples have the right to get married. There is no reason to force this gentleman to participate. This man is not preventing anyone from getting married-- and as such he is not harming anyone. He is only saying that he doesn't want to be a part of such marriages.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:51 am
@ebrown p,
well, we're going to have to disagree about this

if i had my way, i'd beat that racist son of a bitch half to death
engineer

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@ebrown p,
I disagree. If the principal of the school said I refuse to have my school say the pledge and there was indeed a law saying that the school must say the pledge, that principal must be removed. As a private citizen, he can do as he pleases, but as a government official, he is required to enforce the laws. This judge is an official of the local government and is obliged to enforce the law. He is failing to do so. If he wants to be a pastor of a local church, he can marry who he likes, but as an official of the parish, he is bound to follow the law just as the local sherriff is bound to apply the law fairly regardless of personal beliefs. If your argument was correct and every local judge believed as this guy does (as was the case not too long ago) then bi-racial couples would have no remedy. Are you arguing that that is ok? There is only one other judge in town, so we're only one step from that.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:59 am
@djjd62,
Quote:

There are people who have a similar sentiment toward the 10 year old boy.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:05 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

There are people who have a similar sentiment toward the 10 year old boy.

well we could always beat those folks at the same time, hell i'd bet the JP is one of them
0 Replies