UK shows: only six episodes per season?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
I've just watched three seasons of "The IT Crowd" on Netflix. Three seasons.... 18 episodes.

That's not even one season in the U.S. What gives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 4,520 • Replies: 22

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 12:39 pm
Brits prefer quality to quantity?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 12:47 pm
@contrex,
In opposition to that hypothesis, I offer exhibit B: British cuisine.
contrex

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 01:08 pm
@DrewDad,
I guess you got that from the same tired old book of clichés that the bad teeth one came from?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 01:19 pm
@DrewDad,
there is excellent cuisine in the british isles, it's chinese/indian/italian/french.
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
@contrex,
well said, give me a short british series any day
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@dyslexia,
I am English, and I have to agree about the awfulness of most ordinary native British cuisine, but things have improved a lot in the last 20 years, and like dyslexia said, we have world cuisine instead. Every Friday I go either to a South/East Asia (Thai, Vietnam, Japan, Singapore, Indonesian) fusion place or a Lebanese restaurant. There is such a thing as British haute cuisine - just look at Hester Blumenthal, who is a chef in the style of Ferran Adrià (El Bulli) - and TV gourmet chef competitions are wildly popular.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:36 pm
@contrex,
I saw the movie "The state of Play" starring Russell Crowe. It was based upon an English series of the same name. The series also had six episodes. The Brit series was almost unwatcheable because they spent so much time on dumb minutae that the plot was way down the list of priorities. The movie was waay better.

In the US, we just tried a six episode series called "The NAtional Parks" Produced by Ken Burns. It had some of the same pompous factoids and diversions as did State of Play.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:09 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I am English, and I have to agree about the awfulness of most ordinary native British cuisine, but things have improved a lot in the last 20 years, and like dyslexia said, we have world cuisine instead. Every Friday I go either to a South/East Asia (Thai, Vietnam, Japan, Singapore, Indonesian) fusion place or a Lebanese restaurant. There is such a thing as British haute cuisine - just look at Hester Blumenthal, who is a chef in the style of Ferran Adrià (El Bulli) - and TV gourmet chef competitions are wildly popular.

Actually, it's HestON Blumenthal, a fellow. And 'world cuisine' is not what I think of when I think of 'British cuisine', which, of course, isn't any type of 'cuisine' at all, but more like punishment. British food (and showers!) for some reason, is dreadful, particularly when you know that in Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, both (food and showers) are abundant and excellent, at least in my experience.

The Brits have a well-deserved reputation in both arenas.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:37 pm
@Mame,
Irish food is pretty bleak too.
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:57 pm
Irish seven course meal: a six pack and a potato

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
Ach, I had great food in Ireland, and it was after I'd been in England, so I was mighty happy. The only decent meals I ate in the UK, in all the times I'd been there, were either what I cooked myself or Indian. Ireland, on the other hand, had crisp, fresh food, innovative ideas, and great service. No complaints at all, after 3 weeks.

Ach, again... I know a person can get tired of being asked, "And how would you like your potato?" when ordering a bowl of cereal or a sandwich, but seriously, they offered them in such a variety of ways, I always wanted to find out Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:02 pm
I always enjoyed the fresh fish when i was in Ireland, and the quality of the salads and vegetables. Don't pay any attention to FM, he ate at the Wimpy's all the time and it made a sour puss of him.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
@DrewDad,
Don't knock British cuisine! My favorite restaurant in New York City is Tea And Sympathy! Very Happy

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/rest_menu_dinner.php
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hot Ribena! Thanks for the reminder!
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:15 pm
I prefer to eat Italian food while watching Masterpiece Theatre.

(I love English sausage rolls and the scones at The Victoria Albert are
the best.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:19 pm
@Tai Chi,
De rien!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Their shortened and limited seasons for one thing help insure they never have to have to run out of ideas for their shows' plots, forcing them to ...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:15 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Actually, it's HestON Blumenthal

Yes. I made a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.
dadpad

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:48 am
The six episode series is commonly called a mini series. At least here in Oz.