Question about private messages...

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:33 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I didn't click on anything but it was basically a regular post of a type you've seen before but as a private message instead of a post... something about Iraq and links to videos. I figured there would probably be dead and dismembered children and such. The general tone seemed to be "war is bad."

I didn't click on any links either. Pretty much as soon as I knew it wasn't from someone I know and wasn't about any thread I'd been on, I just looked for a way to get rid of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:42 pm
I received the same message, with all the links. I did not click on any.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:16 pm
I got it also but didn't open the links either, figuring it was spam. The poster, indeed, had no history on A2K.
The "greeting" was "To Serious Americans"
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
I didn't get it either, but I'm not a serious American so that is probably why.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:27 pm
I guess I'm the only cat that curiosity killed.

I've seen videos on both of those stations before so I didn't think much about it. My brother is in Iraq so I clicked to see what they were about. What I saw of it was kind of upsetting. It was only after seeing the video that I wondered who "the brave man" might be -- I didn't think new people could post private messages so I thought it must be a regular -- and why on earth, if he kenw me, he would send me something like that.

I've learned my lesson for the day!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:28 pm
I posted the message I received in my PM box on this thread a while ago for the edification of those "non-serious Americans" who didn't receive the original. But it's gone. When mods remove such things I wish they'd let us know and explain why I can't share my PMs with others. Thank you.
Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
But in the future the restriction I think makes the most sense is to allow members to reject messages from people not on their friend list (which is also not currently available).

Since Christmas is approaching, I'll make a wish: Would you consider an option to reject just people from the "ignored" list? I like the idea of ignoring PMs from people I'm ignoring in threads anyway, but don't mind getting them from people I just don't know yet.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:35 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, and we'd planned on doing it but ran into a bit of a problem:

What should happen? Rejecting the message means that we disclose the ignore list, and the alternative was a technical complication that we didn't have time to address at the time.

Still not sure about the ignore/public private thing. Sometimes I think that ignore should be two-way, and that users should be able to control their threads through it (i.e. ignored users can't post on the ignoree's threads) which would also open up the ignore data.

But I don't think our company will be ramen-profitable by Christmas anyway, so I don't think we can work on this much before then.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:45 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I removed it because it's spam and giving it the publicity they sought through spamming is only going to make the job of removing the spam harder by making us a more attractive target.

We don't allow spam, and though that probably wasn't your intention it was the end result. So when people quote spam it is likely going to be removed (along with the spam).

As to explaining such cases I, for one, don't really have the time to do the spam removal that I do, much less enter a discussion about each case. Spam is just something we are going to censor, the volume that would occur if we didn't would render this site completely useless as spam attracts more spam (they see where the visits come from, and their competitors see where they have links).

Please don't repost spam it just makes them come back for more traffic. If you'd like to share the spam with others please use email, or some other medium that I don't have to clean up after.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 05:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think delete and report options would be sufficient. I don't know how complex that is to do given your set up, but I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that. If somebody is really abusing the pm's then they probably need to have a timeout anyway.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for your quick response, Robert. Now I understand.
0 Replies