Plugged Blower Carburetor

CDobyns

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:36 pm
I have a Craftsman blower, that has worked very reliably, up until recently, when I started leaking gasoline and wouldn't start.

I managed to fix the gasoline leak problem, but then when I went to prime the engine, the primer bulb never seemed to be able to pressurize the gas tank and no excess gas ever seemed to circulate through the carburetor and back through the primer bulb, and then return back into the gas tank.

I finally managed to isolate the problem to an apparent plug in the inlet to the carburetor (see picture right side inlet pipe), somewhere beyond the inlet diaphram, but before the tiny little combustion chamber (backside of the picture).

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/CGDobyns/img_0811.jpg

There doesn't appear to be any foreign material plug or blockage, but some other physical device is now preventing the primer from pushing gasoline through to the carburetor, since an airtight blockage now resists any amount of pressurizing from the primer bulb. Does anyone have a theory on what's happening - or not happening?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 842 • Replies: 2
No top replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
@CDobyns,
Since this posting has elicited zero replies, I thought I would try to resurrect it with a tiny bit of additional information -and I mean a tiny bit of additional information.

Turns out that this isn't a Craftsman blower, it's a Ryobi blower - not that this is much additional help for folks. The part I don't understand is that the carburetor is almost certainly not plugged, but something is preventing the primer bulb from being able to push gas from the fuel tank through the carburetor. I think the problem is a mechanical problem with the carburetor where something in the little tiny mechanics of the carburetor inlet system is all of a sudden blocking the fuel flow.

It looks as though I could purchase a replacement carburetor for $45, but I've got to believe that there's almost nothing really wrong with this thing - that some little mini-fix wouldn't take care of. Any thoughts from anyone?
CDobyns

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:30 pm
@CDobyns,
This posting has been noteworthy in its one-sidedness (replies mostly from myself), but I thought I would add to it a little further, and probably effectively close it out.

Since I wasn't able to elicit a viable solution to clear what I think is a plugged carburetor, I decided to pursue just purchasing a replacement carburetor altogether. I opted to go through eReplacementparts (www.ereplacementparts.com) for a replacement carburetor, and that proved to be a fairly easy and cost-effective solution. The new carburetor, plus shipping, came to $29, and needless to say, purchasing a brand new blower would have cost somewhat more than that.

Replacing the new carburetor involved removing three screws and reconnecting the fuel lines - and took about ten minutes, and the blower fired up on the very first try at starting it. With that success under my belt, I decided to replace the carburetor on a string trimmer, which had a similar problem and had not worked in more than seven years, and that replacement was also successful. So, my recommendation is that if you have this type of problem, where a gasoline fueled device won't seem to start - summon your courage and your wallet and just take the (small) risk and try swapping out the carburetor. That's probably going to solve the problem and is a relatively easy fix.
0 Replies